GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goodbye Nintendo."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/05/03 at 15:37
Regular
Nintendo have made such bad errors of marketing in the past two years that in the next few months its going to hit them hard. The death of the Gamecube will be at the end of this year; after the swan song of Mario Kart. It won't last any longer and fans who believe what Nintendo said about a six year lifetime for the GameCube were merely cheating themselves.

Nintendo are the company I have enjoyed products from since I was three years old. I thank Nintendo for creating games which allowed me to escape from the years of personal crap I have had to deal with. I really support the GameCube and personally favour it from the surrounding rival hardware yet nobody but Nintendo can be blamed for allowing the GameCube to fail in the way it has done.

Even a killer game like Zelda desperately tried to push hardware sales but two weeks after its release the hardware sales went back to the low levels of March. Its desperation times for Nintendo as their shares are taking hits and profit margins are diving without a care.

There is no doubt in my mind. Nintendo are the God's of gaming. They however are NOT the God's of marketing and sales. The lack of software stock in shops in Europe, the lack of any marketing and the stubborn 'we have our fans' cries will no doubt summon the end of The Big N.

Yet where can I see them falling to from here? A place I never thought I'd see them. Nintendo won't leave gaming, if the worst games does really come to the worst they'll be brought out by a rival company. However that really is looking at death's door. I feel Nintendo will go the route of Sega, and move into software development only. I also feel that Sega could easily make a hardware comeback if they seriously planned everything to a tee. The GameBoy may be Nintendo's greatest asset, yet against the marketing strength of the vertically intergrated Sony I very much doubt Nintendo will 'bother' too much in competing strongly against it. Yes Nintendo will release another GameBoy but I fear the next will be the last 'great' one.

To be honest, I really couldn't care anymore. Gaming has taken a nose dive since the 16-bit era. Companies are developing for the idiots that walk the street thinking anything made by EA is going to be great. Microsoft have entered the market in a bid again to yet dominate another part of the world. I am personally looking forward to the Microsoft film studios opening up or when Microsoft actually buy the American whitehouse.

In Europe we have always been treated like dirt in the gaming world. What Nintendo didn't realise is that although we aren't the biggest gaming nation and we don't buy the most. We are probably the most significant to the effects elsewhere. Oh? I hear that Holland have sold out of Gamecubes and that Germany love the GameCube too. Yet thats like buying Old Kent Road when playing monopoly and thinking you've won.

Sadly. Although I hate to say it, its going to take a huge amount of balls from Nintendo to pull themselves up from this dying defeat. Balls which I don't think they have.

I'll miss you when your gone Big N.
I'll still have my memories.
Its your own fault you stupid idiots.
Thu 29/05/03 at 17:42
Regular
it's not gonna happen, not for a while anyway.

yall stop being so negative. The day I see a Nintendo game on a Sony console is the day that Sony HQ in Yapan get bombed.
Thu 29/05/03 at 17:45
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I agree. I can see where you are coming from TGM Bloke, but Nintendo are (in this time a good way) to stubborn ever to do such a thing.

Just *look* at the line up this year.

Pull your finger out Nintendo!
Thu 29/05/03 at 17:57
Regular
If anything like this did happen.

I'd either want to see Sega and Nintendo join forces and become SUPER MEGABOT.

Or i'd like to see Microsoft buy out Nintendo and Sega and spank Sony's ugly hairy a*s all over the shop. As much as I hate company, i'll give it to them, they're not another Sony, they do care about producing a quality console with quality games, not one that rely's mainly on image and brand names.

I'm probably gonna get criticised and ripped apart for saying that, but from where I'm standing it would be the best option.

*waits for the onslaught off "you gimp" comments*
Thu 29/05/03 at 18:03
Regular
"everyone says it"
Firstly. That comment was gimpish. ;)

However, I agree with your first idea. Super Megabot. Or something.
Thu 29/05/03 at 18:04
"!Basement Clucking!"
Nah, it gets boring defending Sony and the PS2, my opinions wont change yours and your wont change mine so theres no point in commenting any more...plus we are constantly debating about the same stuff.
Thu 29/05/03 at 18:16
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
touché and let that be an end.
Thu 29/05/03 at 18:21
Regular
"gsybe you!"
TGMbloke wrote:
>>
>
> No, no, no! I never once said that was what I want - >

I know.

BUT surly you can see where im coming from.

Pumpkinist wrote:
> I agree. I can see where you are coming from TGM Bloke,

Yes. I know what you mean, but it'd be far better for Nintendo (at the moment) to pull out all the stops.
Thu 29/05/03 at 19:37
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Unless Nintendo do come up wih something really good for their next console I think the Gamecube will be my last console. I don't think i would ever go to Sony or Microsoft but the way things are looking I think the last true games company (that have their own console) may not make it :-(.

But

Who knows what the future may held, maybe Nintendo will buck their ideas up and learn from past mistakes. They've certainly corrected mistaes they made with the N64 but they still need to correct other areas.

Personnally I think a joint Sega/Nintendo console could hold the future, both companies could be saved and hey, maybe ever knock Sony of their throne!

Good luck my dearest Nintendo!
Thu 29/05/03 at 19:53
Regular
"Festivus!"
er-no wrote:
> Shut the hell up you idiot. If you don't have anything constructive to
> say ruck off.

Oh, the irony.

Pity you didn't think that to yourself when writing most of this post.
Thu 29/05/03 at 19:56
Regular
"Festivus!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I'm probably gonna get criticised and ripped apart for saying that,
> but from where I'm standing it would be the best option.

I agree with you, and I never really though of that option.

I would realy like to see that if Microsoft go about X-Box 2 in the same way they have done Xbox one, but i seriously doubt they will.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.