GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goodbye Nintendo."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/05/03 at 15:37
Regular
Nintendo have made such bad errors of marketing in the past two years that in the next few months its going to hit them hard. The death of the Gamecube will be at the end of this year; after the swan song of Mario Kart. It won't last any longer and fans who believe what Nintendo said about a six year lifetime for the GameCube were merely cheating themselves.

Nintendo are the company I have enjoyed products from since I was three years old. I thank Nintendo for creating games which allowed me to escape from the years of personal crap I have had to deal with. I really support the GameCube and personally favour it from the surrounding rival hardware yet nobody but Nintendo can be blamed for allowing the GameCube to fail in the way it has done.

Even a killer game like Zelda desperately tried to push hardware sales but two weeks after its release the hardware sales went back to the low levels of March. Its desperation times for Nintendo as their shares are taking hits and profit margins are diving without a care.

There is no doubt in my mind. Nintendo are the God's of gaming. They however are NOT the God's of marketing and sales. The lack of software stock in shops in Europe, the lack of any marketing and the stubborn 'we have our fans' cries will no doubt summon the end of The Big N.

Yet where can I see them falling to from here? A place I never thought I'd see them. Nintendo won't leave gaming, if the worst games does really come to the worst they'll be brought out by a rival company. However that really is looking at death's door. I feel Nintendo will go the route of Sega, and move into software development only. I also feel that Sega could easily make a hardware comeback if they seriously planned everything to a tee. The GameBoy may be Nintendo's greatest asset, yet against the marketing strength of the vertically intergrated Sony I very much doubt Nintendo will 'bother' too much in competing strongly against it. Yes Nintendo will release another GameBoy but I fear the next will be the last 'great' one.

To be honest, I really couldn't care anymore. Gaming has taken a nose dive since the 16-bit era. Companies are developing for the idiots that walk the street thinking anything made by EA is going to be great. Microsoft have entered the market in a bid again to yet dominate another part of the world. I am personally looking forward to the Microsoft film studios opening up or when Microsoft actually buy the American whitehouse.

In Europe we have always been treated like dirt in the gaming world. What Nintendo didn't realise is that although we aren't the biggest gaming nation and we don't buy the most. We are probably the most significant to the effects elsewhere. Oh? I hear that Holland have sold out of Gamecubes and that Germany love the GameCube too. Yet thats like buying Old Kent Road when playing monopoly and thinking you've won.

Sadly. Although I hate to say it, its going to take a huge amount of balls from Nintendo to pull themselves up from this dying defeat. Balls which I don't think they have.

I'll miss you when your gone Big N.
I'll still have my memories.
Its your own fault you stupid idiots.
Thu 29/05/03 at 16:13
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
It's feasible but unlikely. But I agree with er-no's comments. If they choose to keep developing their own hardware, they'll have to re-think their marketing strategy as well as release their new console in plenty of time to allow it to compete with Sony/MS.

As er-no quite rightly stated, the majority of gamers wouldn't know a good game if it smashed them between the eyes and rendered them comatose for the rest of their lives. Sadly, this is where gaming is going. Gaming for the masses will prevail and numerous updates and franchises will be prevalent in a market being saturated with sub-standard games. Of course, Nintendo have updates but they actually concentrate on them and make them well. There have been too many occurences of cheap cash-ins (Enter The Matrix anyone?) that sicken me to the core of my being.
Thu 29/05/03 at 16:18
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Why is there such a sudden downturn in hopes for Nintendo? I know there have been real problems recently, but its not like they aren't making money, the GC isn't selling or anything.

I agree with your last line. For Gods sake Nintendo wake up. You have the money. Just, for once, pull out all the stops, effectivly blast the public with Nintendo. Lower prices of consoles/games. Bring out as many games as possible. Buy shelf space, buy good reviews, it really doesn't matter. Just get yourself back.
Thu 29/05/03 at 16:21
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
>> The fact that sales shot up like they did when Dixons dropped the
> price a few months back, shows that people are still intrested in
> Nintendo.

Offical price of £100 + game (Mario Kart/Final Fantasy) etc. I bought an N64 + Goldeneye *because* of that price, and also because I was hooked on Goldeneye like a drug.
Thu 29/05/03 at 16:26
Regular
if you say the end is near Then for god's sake dont buy by far the best line up this year.
Thu 29/05/03 at 16:29
Regular
Oh and you think that we won't get GTA tpe games we're getting Driver 3 and now mafia... http://www.gamerfeed.com /index.php?story=3374
Thu 29/05/03 at 16:32
"!Basement Clucking!"
Some people think the worst of a situation...
Thu 29/05/03 at 16:47
Regular
er-no wrote:
> Tiltawhirl, if Zelda and Metroid cannot sell it, those five mentioned
> won't shift systems in the way you imagine.

As someone below said, Final Fantasy and MetalGear will sell like hotcakes.

But, Mario Kart, in my opinion, is the biggest game franchise Nintendo has got.

Even the people I know who hate almost all Nintendo things, think Mario KArt is by far obne of the best games ever.
Thu 29/05/03 at 17:29
Regular
"gsybe you!"
TGMbloke wrote:
> but to release all of the best current GC only games (Mario,
> Zelda, Metroid, Resi and so on) on the PS2 and XBOX,

Go away.
Thu 29/05/03 at 17:31
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
*bursts out laughing*

*literally*
Thu 29/05/03 at 17:36
Regular
"gsybe you!"
So.

Think about it.

If any of the totaly undiscerning public heard about that, which version are they going to buy? Not the Cubes, even if it did have extras. They would buy the PS2 version anyday, because of its stupid reputation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.