GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goodbye Nintendo."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/05/03 at 15:37
Regular
Nintendo have made such bad errors of marketing in the past two years that in the next few months its going to hit them hard. The death of the Gamecube will be at the end of this year; after the swan song of Mario Kart. It won't last any longer and fans who believe what Nintendo said about a six year lifetime for the GameCube were merely cheating themselves.

Nintendo are the company I have enjoyed products from since I was three years old. I thank Nintendo for creating games which allowed me to escape from the years of personal crap I have had to deal with. I really support the GameCube and personally favour it from the surrounding rival hardware yet nobody but Nintendo can be blamed for allowing the GameCube to fail in the way it has done.

Even a killer game like Zelda desperately tried to push hardware sales but two weeks after its release the hardware sales went back to the low levels of March. Its desperation times for Nintendo as their shares are taking hits and profit margins are diving without a care.

There is no doubt in my mind. Nintendo are the God's of gaming. They however are NOT the God's of marketing and sales. The lack of software stock in shops in Europe, the lack of any marketing and the stubborn 'we have our fans' cries will no doubt summon the end of The Big N.

Yet where can I see them falling to from here? A place I never thought I'd see them. Nintendo won't leave gaming, if the worst games does really come to the worst they'll be brought out by a rival company. However that really is looking at death's door. I feel Nintendo will go the route of Sega, and move into software development only. I also feel that Sega could easily make a hardware comeback if they seriously planned everything to a tee. The GameBoy may be Nintendo's greatest asset, yet against the marketing strength of the vertically intergrated Sony I very much doubt Nintendo will 'bother' too much in competing strongly against it. Yes Nintendo will release another GameBoy but I fear the next will be the last 'great' one.

To be honest, I really couldn't care anymore. Gaming has taken a nose dive since the 16-bit era. Companies are developing for the idiots that walk the street thinking anything made by EA is going to be great. Microsoft have entered the market in a bid again to yet dominate another part of the world. I am personally looking forward to the Microsoft film studios opening up or when Microsoft actually buy the American whitehouse.

In Europe we have always been treated like dirt in the gaming world. What Nintendo didn't realise is that although we aren't the biggest gaming nation and we don't buy the most. We are probably the most significant to the effects elsewhere. Oh? I hear that Holland have sold out of Gamecubes and that Germany love the GameCube too. Yet thats like buying Old Kent Road when playing monopoly and thinking you've won.

Sadly. Although I hate to say it, its going to take a huge amount of balls from Nintendo to pull themselves up from this dying defeat. Balls which I don't think they have.

I'll miss you when your gone Big N.
I'll still have my memories.
Its your own fault you stupid idiots.
Sat 31/05/03 at 02:40
Regular
Mess wrote:

> I would have expected better from a notable. Better topic in the
> first place and a better response to criticism. However I get your
> point about it not being very constructive...I will explain my view.

Er-no's topic is implementing a NEGATIVE point of view for the current direction Nintendo seem to be going in... It isn't neccessarily er-no's opinion but saying what everyone thinks is hardly gonna get a response. Other than of course "I agree", er-no wrote this, not neccessarily believing this is the end of Nintendo, but hoping to get some much needed support.

I wrote a post saying "PSP to trounce Gameboy", I don't think it'll happen, I think it could... but I wrote it as if it was going to happen. Got loads of replies.
Sat 31/05/03 at 02:01
Regular
Nope. The Xbox version is a LOT better than the PS2 and GameCube version on all fronts. I aren't going through all of the points now because I am too tired. IGN did a comparison a while back and the Xbox version came out on top in every single area. It scored 8.8 I think but on the GameCube and PS2 it was around 4.6 ish. I can understand its not for everyone as its VERY realistic. However unlike most realistic games I actually enjoy it :)
Sat 31/05/03 at 01:37
Regular
Ghost Recon's pretty rubbish on all consoles.

Only reason it's slightly better on Xbox is because you can play it online, even that's supposed to be pretty pants though.
Sat 31/05/03 at 01:35
Regular
Poor games don't win PC game of the year though do they ;)

Its fantastic to be honest and just because you don't enjoy it doesn't make the game poor.
Sat 31/05/03 at 01:25
Regular
Mess wrote:
> I would have expected better from a notable. Better topic in the
> first place and a better response to criticism.

Must we expect any more of notables than we do of ourselves? It's just a p*ss coloured name, after all..
Sat 31/05/03 at 01:23
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I haven't been disappointed with any PC to Xbox game conversions so
> far and in fact I would rate the ones I have played better than their
> PC counter parts. Hopefully Mafia will be ported to the Xbox
> successfully (as well as the GameCube) but as you may know the GC
> hasn't had that success rate with PC conversion so far. Take Ghost
> Recon for instance...

Nah, that was just a poor game in the first place.
Fri 30/05/03 at 23:43
Regular
Who decides what topics are better? Its got people replying with different reactions and everyone wants to shed a different light on the situation. Thats what a discussion topic is all about so if you don't like it you know what to do...
Fri 30/05/03 at 23:41
Regular
"keep your receipt"
er-no wrote:
>
> Shut the hell up you idiot. If you don't have anything constructive to
> say ruck off.

I would have expected better from a notable. Better topic in the first place and a better response to criticism. However I get your point about it not being very constructive...I will explain my view.

However not now because I can't remember it. It is too late. Maybe tomorrow.
Fri 30/05/03 at 17:53
Regular
"everyone says it"
Loving the different reactions.

:)
Fri 30/05/03 at 17:09
"slightlyshortertagl"
Down for a bit, then up.

Hopefully.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.