GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo due to disappoint us all.....AGAIN!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/10/01 at 22:39
Regular
After reading the latest NGC magazine, I was relieved to hear that a spokeswoman from Nintendo of Europe said that the GameCube's release date has not been announced, but has been stated as Spring so that European customers aren't disappointed by any delays.

How wrong could I be?

Not only is what she said a load of rubbish, but it looks like Nintendo are delaying the release of the GameCube to September next year!

According to Codejunkies, who develop game enhancers for nearly every console said that a games publisher has revealed that "Europe is not a priority for Nintendo".

Tell us something we didn't already know!

I'm sure most of you already know how Nintendo treat us like dirt. The only exception being the release of the Game Boy Advance being released just after America had them. Ever since Nintendo have made videogames, they have been delaying European and sometimes American release dates. It happened with the N64, and with top games like 'Zelda: Ocarina of Time'.

So why delay the console this time?

Well it's not been confirmed by Nintendo themselves that they are going to delay it's release, but part of Grant Hughes article on Codejunkies says this:

"A spokesperson for Nintendo told MCV that no Euro launch date will be given "until after we have seen how the launches have gone in Japan and the US"."

Well the launch in Japan was a success (considering what had just happened) and I can't see Nintendo failing to reach audiences in the United States. However Nintendo will use anything to put off their launches in Europe.

The trouble with Nintendo, especialy Yamauchi (think that's how you spell his name), is that they are too confident. Nintendo keep having arguments with top developers like Squaresoft, and they keep delaying and rising the prices of their software, and yet they expect us all to be buying their consoles and games with no complaints. I will still be getting my GameCube, but if there is a massive delay as predicted, I wont be too happy with Nintendo about it.

So if you are excited about getting your GameCubes and seing all the new games and innovations, all I can suggest is: Don't hold your breath.
Wed 31/10/01 at 16:01
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
lol!
Ok, ok. i was exagerrating with the 2x price thing (but not much!). And i said in a later post that it's more like 50 to 100% more expensive.
The point of the original post still remains, and it IS proven by the previous poster getting an import console.
It only works out at £30 more expensive to be playing an import machine now, than wait for goodness knows how long, to pay whatever price, for the official one.
That means you're more happy dealing with Nintendo of America/Japan than Europe!
I go back to the title of the topic...
Nintendo due to disappoint us all.... again.
Wed 31/10/01 at 15:42
Regular
Tellah wrote:

Most of what I've said is rubbish? Are you referring to
> the above point, the whole post, or what? The fact is - there is no fixed retail
> price yet so the figure you grasped out of thin air is equally as
> rubbish.

It's a fact that N64 games were £50-£60 in the UK... and
> they were £25-£30 in Japan. Erm... that's twice as much.
GC costs
> the equivalent of £149 in Japan, and I wouldn't be surprised if they
> charged £298 for it here... twice as much.

Nintendo have announced the Gamecube so be $200 in the US with $45 games. This normally translates into pounds.
You're just being silly!

(Gronti Wrote:
And I already have my
>
> US Gamecube ordered - it'll probably work out a shade (about £30)
> more
> expensive than a UK one once shipping, duty and tax have been taking
> into
> account, but I'll have it at least four months earlier, so I'm happy
> with that.)

So Tellah said:
You are agreeing with my whole point here by buying one on import.
> If you thought what I was saying was 'rubbish' i.e. that Nintendo arn't screwing
> European gamers, then you would get a European model instead of an import one -
> no?

He's getting it so he can play it earlier, not because of prices. And the US only get it so long before us because Nintendo can only manufacture so many at a time.

>My logic is undeniably stupid!

Fair enough. :-)
Wed 31/10/01 at 14:52
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Ermmmm... at the risk of insulting
> you, most of that is a pile of rubbish. Not talking opinions here, fact. The
> Gamecube will not release over here for £350, it'll follow the time
> honoured tradition in the pricing of goods and the dollar sign will be swapped
> for a pound sign to get a retail price of £200.

Most of what I've said is rubbish? Are you referring to the above point, the whole post, or what? The fact is - there is no fixed retail price yet so the figure you grasped out of thin air is equally as rubbish.

It's a fact that N64 games were £50-£60 in the UK... and they were £25-£30 in Japan. Erm... that's twice as much.
GC costs the equivalent of £149 in Japan, and I wouldn't be surprised if they charged £298 for it here... twice as much.

And I already have my
> US Gamecube ordered - it'll probably work out a shade (about £30) more
> expensive than a UK one once shipping, duty and tax have been taking into
> account, but I'll have it at least four months earlier, so I'm happy with that.

You are agreeing with my whole point here by buying one on import. If you thought what I was saying was 'rubbish' i.e. that Nintendo arn't screwing European gamers, then you would get a European model instead of an import one - no?

My logic is undeniable!
Wed 31/10/01 at 14:47
Regular
But still, in $ terms we are gonna be paying $290 for a PAL machine.
Wed 31/10/01 at 14:18
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Tellah wrote:
> I'm sure Nintendo will succeed in Japan and the USA, but it will charge 2x as
> much for games and the console in Europe. Buy it whenever it's released if you
> want (next year 'some time'), but I'll be getting a cheap one on
> import.

Ermmmm... at the risk of insulting you, most of that is a pile of rubbish. Not talking opinions here, fact. The Gamecube will not release over here for £350, it'll follow the time honoured tradition in the pricing of goods and the dollar sign will be swapped for a pound sign to get a retail price of £200.

And I already have my US Gamecube ordered - it'll probably work out a shade (about £30) more expensive than a UK one once shipping, duty and tax have been taking into account, but I'll have it at least four months earlier, so I'm happy with that.
Wed 31/10/01 at 14:15
More entrance musics would be good then.
Wed 31/10/01 at 14:08
Regular
Gangsta Hamsta wrote:
> erm i doubt it if the cartridges hold up to 256mb (Conker).
May be true if it
> has to be coded differently for the N64 though (i am no N64 data expert)

Not 256 Mb, 256 Mbit. There's a difference.

1 MB is worth 8 Mbit.

A further calaculation reveals that the cartrige that game like Conker, Perfect Dark and Zelda appeared on only held 32 Mb.

Now if managed to cram massive games like that into 32 Mega Bytes, imagine what they can fit on an optical disk with over 1500 Mega Bytes.

Roughly enough to fit 50 Zelda's on.

To see what Rare and Nintendo cram into a Gamecube's optical disk is a very exciting prospect indeed.
Wed 31/10/01 at 14:03
I think it would be good if you could get your own musics for wrestler entrances. Or if you could download some so that you can keep your wrestlers up to date for longer. The No Mercy musics are okay, or was that what you meant? The videos aren't great though and there just aren't enough unique ones (plus they're all a little odd). Oh and the entrance musics tend to be too repetitive.
Wed 31/10/01 at 13:18
Regular
"Not your monkey"
erm i doubt it if the cartridges hold up to 256mb (Conker).
May be true if it has to be coded differently for the N64 though (i am no N64 data expert)
Wed 31/10/01 at 13:15
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Apparently, you can only get 3 seconds of CD quality music on a whole N64 cartridge - not sure where I heard this.
If it is true, then it would suggest that CD quality is much higher than the midi noises the N64 makes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.