GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No one will buy it!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/10/01 at 10:58
Regular
I liked the look of x-box. But I am massively annoyed at how greedy and stupid Microsoft are....

If the x-box costs £299 in the UK, $299 in the US...
Then it will fail. Europeans have had enough of being screwed - especially be greedy American giants Microsoft. £45 a game - you must be joking. I won't pay more than £35. You could buy 5 second hand quality PS titles for each x-box one... And consumers (everyday people that walk into GAME) will know that by looking at the shelves infront of them.
2 x-box games, and you could BUY a PS1 with a game or 2!!! Imagine what you could do with £300! Buy a PS1 and every classic available!
The x-box is a console being sold at a PC price. It's doomed.
Yes, the Playstation 2 cost that amount at launch, I even bough my original PS for £300 many years ago. The difference is that when they were launched they were the only option in the market that could provide consumers with the games they needed/wanted. Now the PS2 and gamecube (both at £199) will be in the shops alongside it!
NO-ONE WILL BUY THE X-BOX!! They have no idea about the UK market. They are insulting us with this price. Whay does the x-box offer over the other consoles? A couple of exclusive titles and more polygons per second??
They can go shove Abe's Odessey up BG's behind!
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:22
Regular
WÚÛkiee M¯nßÜÄR wrote:
Microsoft's 'problem' will not be the price - it
> will be convincing [enough] people that they *need* an Xbox above the other
> available systems - which isn't going to be easy, no matter how many millions
> they throw at advertising.

True, but I suspect it will do well.

A number of people who owned DreamCasts will probably go for an XBox, especially after the deal announced earlier in the week between Sega and MS.

Also, a number of people are just anit-Sony anyway, and may not find that the GC does what they want. So all in all, I don't think the XBox will fail.

It won't sell as many units as the PS2 as Sony have a huge lead already, but just becuase it doesn't do this, doesn't make it a failure.

The DC sold 10 million units worldwide. I think if the XBox can rack this number of sales up, no one can call it a failure.

I would be interested to know how many pre-orders SR have had for the XBox though, if they can give out that sort of info...
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:20
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Your Honour wrote:
> So are you saying that if the XBox was launched when the PS2 was, and the PS2
> was due to be launched next year, Sony would release it at £199?

>I think not.

So how come Nintendo can launch their console at around £150? By any chance have you though that Sony aren't going into competition with Microsoft with the price drop but Nintendo instead? As I've mentioned before, there's a lot of history between Nintendo and Sony and a lot of competition, as for XBOX, it's an out sider yet to be proven!!

The £299 price tag was due to the expensive innards and even then sony where losing around £150 on each console. As things develop and production costs drop, technology gets cheaper and prices drop!! Microsoft have been reported saying that each unit actually costs them around £550 to produce, so they too are selling at a loss!!

Yes... £299 for a captive market so what. Sony have proven themselve by coming from absolutley nowhere and storming the games market!!

It would launch at £299 as well. Unless of course, Sony only
> charged £299 because they knew it was the only option out there, so people
> would still buy it whatever the price was.

Actually the DC was "OUT THERE" too, and cheaper at the time of launch... But it was already proven to be limited compared to what had been seen on the PS2 and undersupported in software! people wanted the PS2 for its titles and proven ablity as well as Sony already having an existing user base of 60million+

>Why is everyone slating the XBox? Answer me that.

Because it's new. Because it's been over hyped and because its Microsoft!! Do you remeber when the PSX launched? It was quite, un heard of and yet still slaughtered the market.

The XBOX is unproven and has not impressed as it should have done. They only finalised the hardware 2 months ago which means everything you've seen up until then wasn't the XBOX and developers knew this!!

Maybe it will kill all of the opposition, but the likely hood is that it wont!
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:20
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
WÚÛkiee M¯nßÜÄR wrote:

> Quite how they work that out is beyond me, because in my experience, if people want something badly enough, they will buy it whatever the price.

Yeah, look how people were so desperate to get a PS2 that they were auctioning them on ebay for £800 and people were paying it....
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:11
"High polygon count"
Your Honour wrote:
> Why is everyone slating the XBox? Answer me that.

Because Xbox = MS = crap.

Simple!

:-)

Seriously though, the Xbox won't fail just because it's £299 - any higher than that and maybe it would have been on dodgy ground. But £299 is - supposedly - and 'important psychological price point'.

Quite how they work that out is beyond me, because in my experience, if people want something badly enough, they will buy it whatever the price.

Microsoft's 'problem' will not be the price - it will be convincing [enough] people that they *need* an Xbox above the other available systems - which isn't going to be easy, no matter how many millions they throw at advertising.
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:02
Regular
So are you saying that if the XBox was launched when the PS2 was, and the PS2 was due to be launched next year, Sony would release it at £199?

I think not.

It would launch at £299 as well. Unless of course, Sony only charged £299 because they knew it was the only option out there, so people would still buy it whatever the price was.

In which case they ripped you off, and you were stupid enough to still buy the console.

Either way your argument falls over.

Why is everyone slating the XBox? Answer me that.
Fri 19/10/01 at 10:58
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
I liked the look of x-box. But I am massively annoyed at how greedy and stupid Microsoft are....

If the x-box costs £299 in the UK, $299 in the US...
Then it will fail. Europeans have had enough of being screwed - especially be greedy American giants Microsoft. £45 a game - you must be joking. I won't pay more than £35. You could buy 5 second hand quality PS titles for each x-box one... And consumers (everyday people that walk into GAME) will know that by looking at the shelves infront of them.
2 x-box games, and you could BUY a PS1 with a game or 2!!! Imagine what you could do with £300! Buy a PS1 and every classic available!
The x-box is a console being sold at a PC price. It's doomed.
Yes, the Playstation 2 cost that amount at launch, I even bough my original PS for £300 many years ago. The difference is that when they were launched they were the only option in the market that could provide consumers with the games they needed/wanted. Now the PS2 and gamecube (both at £199) will be in the shops alongside it!
NO-ONE WILL BUY THE X-BOX!! They have no idea about the UK market. They are insulting us with this price. Whay does the x-box offer over the other consoles? A couple of exclusive titles and more polygons per second??
They can go shove Abe's Odessey up BG's behind!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.