GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No one will buy it!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/10/01 at 10:58
Regular
I liked the look of x-box. But I am massively annoyed at how greedy and stupid Microsoft are....

If the x-box costs £299 in the UK, $299 in the US...
Then it will fail. Europeans have had enough of being screwed - especially be greedy American giants Microsoft. £45 a game - you must be joking. I won't pay more than £35. You could buy 5 second hand quality PS titles for each x-box one... And consumers (everyday people that walk into GAME) will know that by looking at the shelves infront of them.
2 x-box games, and you could BUY a PS1 with a game or 2!!! Imagine what you could do with £300! Buy a PS1 and every classic available!
The x-box is a console being sold at a PC price. It's doomed.
Yes, the Playstation 2 cost that amount at launch, I even bough my original PS for £300 many years ago. The difference is that when they were launched they were the only option in the market that could provide consumers with the games they needed/wanted. Now the PS2 and gamecube (both at £199) will be in the shops alongside it!
NO-ONE WILL BUY THE X-BOX!! They have no idea about the UK market. They are insulting us with this price. Whay does the x-box offer over the other consoles? A couple of exclusive titles and more polygons per second??
They can go shove Abe's Odessey up BG's behind!
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:51
Regular
Tyla wrote:
Just because it has loads of
> 3rd party support (bar Enix and Square the two of the biggest Jap companies that
> sell consoles in Japan!!) Doesn't mean it will be successfull!!

Well, now we see the 2 faced-ness of some PS2 owners.

When the PSX was up against the N64, yall the PSX owners kept going on about how the PSX was bette as it had more 3rd part support.

Now though, it would appear that 3rd party support doesn't matter.

Hypocritical, methinks.
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:49
Regular
Tyla wrote:
They're still aiming for the "Games" market... apart form
> the DVD film addition, their still games machines aimed at gamers.. Please
> explain to me the market differences?

Well, bearing in mind that the GC is being marketed as a games console, and the XBox is being done as an "Entertainment System", I think you should be able to see the differences.

In case you can't, I'll spell it out to you.

The XBox will be able to play DVD's, GC can't, PS2 can. The XBox will enable you to play games online, GC won't, PS2 can (well, will in a couple of months).

See a bit of a pattern here?

The XBox is in direct competition with the PS2, the GC is a completely different entity. Indeed, a number of PS2 and XBox owners may go for a GC as well, but not many people will have a PS2 and an XBox.
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:49
Regular
"Wasting away"
I see the title 'No one will buy it', I enter the room to see someone who doesn't have much of an arguement about it saying that the X-Box is over priced, when the PS2 was released at the same price that was a bit of a foolish thing to say really.

I do admit that £300 is just that little too expensive for a 'family' present or something like that, but it's the next stage which will take us closer to perfection. I personally don't care about it and I think after all of this 'Console Wars' crap that my PC is still the best gaming console around.

Maybe it would be nice to be able to play on games on a console instead of using that annoying keyboard where different combinations of buttons do different actions and it all becomes very confusing, but until it goes down to about £200 then I won't be buying it as I'll regret it when it does go down in price.
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:45
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Also...

Your Honour wrote:
>Because Nintendo can make some money back from the software.Developers have to pay Nintendo for each copy of the game they sell, sometimes up to 50%.

That was in the old cart based days. Nintendo have reduced thier licencing and dev costs dramatically due to the media they have chose and buy learning from thir previous mistakes!

>By any chance have you though that Sony aren't going into competition with Microsoft with the price drop but Nintendo instead?

>Don't know why, they are 2 different markets.

They're still aiming for the "Games" market... apart form the DVD film addition, their still games machines aimed at gamers.. Please explain to me the market differences?
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:40
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Your Honour wrote:
>PSX wasn't unheard of at all. Perhaps you were just looking in
> the wrong place?

Actually until the month before the UK launch, the PSX had no coverage in the UK apart from little "import ads" in the back of the magazines. So yes, in the UK it was unheard of!
There was little launch hype and only 3 or 4 launch titles, but it was the developers that sold it at launch.. Namco being one!!

As for third party support for the XBOX... a) most fo these are cross platform games produced in a code a bilnd monkey could create games in!! and b) the licence cost are nothing to worry about... the same thing happened witht he PSX, over a 1000 3rd party titles wich only about 20% were worth buying!!

Just because it has loads of 3rd party support (bar Enix and Square the two of the biggest Jap companies that sell consoles in Japan!!) Doesn't mean it will be successfull!!
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:29
Regular
"Back For Good"
I hope the xbox flops BADLY and microsoft see a bit of sense for a change

"duh what happened people aren't buyin are super duper big chunky pc in a box"

GOOD
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:26
Regular
Tyla wrote:
So how come Nintendo can launch
> their console at around £150?

Because Nintendo can make some money back from the software. Developers have to pay Nintendo for each copy of the game they sell, sometimes up to 50%.

By any chance have you though that Sony
> aren't going into competition with Microsoft with the price drop but Nintendo
> instead?

Don't know why, they are 2 different markets.

As I've mentioned before, there's a lot of history between Nintendo and
> Sony and a lot of competition, as for XBOX, it's an out sider yet to be
> proven!!

As was the PSX.

The £299 price tag was due to the expensive innards and even
> then sony where losing around £150 on each console. As things develop and
> production costs drop, technology gets cheaper and prices drop!! Microsoft have
> been reported saying that each unit actually costs them around £550 to
> produce, so they too are selling at a loss!!

What's your point?

Yes... £299 for a captive
> market so what. Sony have proven themselve by coming from absolutley nowhere and
> storming the games market!!

So how do you know MS won't do the same?

Actually the DC was "OUT THERE" too, and cheaper at the time
> of launch... But it was already proven to be limited compared to what had been
> seen on the PS2 and undersupported in software! people wanted the PS2 for its
> titles and proven ablity as well as Sony already having an existing user base of
> 60million+

Exactly. Sony knew people would buy it, so they slapped a £299 price tag on it.

Because
> it's new. Because it's been over hyped and because its Microsoft!! Do you
> remeber when the PSX launched? It was quite, un heard of and yet still
> slaughtered the market.

PSX wasn't unheard of at all. Perhaps you were just looking in the wrong place?

The XBOX is unproven and has not impressed as it
> should have done. They only finalised the hardware 2 months ago which means
> everything you've seen up until then wasn't the XBOX and developers knew
> this!!

Well, they obviously impressed the developers. With 150+ third parties on board, you can't really complain about lack of support...
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:26
"High polygon count"
Tyla wrote:
> By any chance have you though that Sony
> aren't going into competition with Microsoft with the price drop but Nintendo
> instead?

Both of these companies have said that they don't see the other as competition; the only similarity between the machines is that they play games - the market they are aiming for is significantly different.
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:25
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I had a launch PS1 and PS2....
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:22
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
NB. When the PSX was launched back in 1995, I paid £300 for mine!! And when the n64 arrived in 97? I paid the same...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.