GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No one will buy it!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/10/01 at 10:58
Regular
I liked the look of x-box. But I am massively annoyed at how greedy and stupid Microsoft are....

If the x-box costs £299 in the UK, $299 in the US...
Then it will fail. Europeans have had enough of being screwed - especially be greedy American giants Microsoft. £45 a game - you must be joking. I won't pay more than £35. You could buy 5 second hand quality PS titles for each x-box one... And consumers (everyday people that walk into GAME) will know that by looking at the shelves infront of them.
2 x-box games, and you could BUY a PS1 with a game or 2!!! Imagine what you could do with £300! Buy a PS1 and every classic available!
The x-box is a console being sold at a PC price. It's doomed.
Yes, the Playstation 2 cost that amount at launch, I even bough my original PS for £300 many years ago. The difference is that when they were launched they were the only option in the market that could provide consumers with the games they needed/wanted. Now the PS2 and gamecube (both at £199) will be in the shops alongside it!
NO-ONE WILL BUY THE X-BOX!! They have no idea about the UK market. They are insulting us with this price. Whay does the x-box offer over the other consoles? A couple of exclusive titles and more polygons per second??
They can go shove Abe's Odessey up BG's behind!
Fri 19/10/01 at 16:41
"High polygon count"
Xbox doesn't play Dreamcast games, but Sega and Microsoft have signed a deal which will no doubt see many DC titles ported over.
Fri 19/10/01 at 16:39
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Too right, YH. People, unfortunately will buy this hunk o' junk, mainly because they're gullable and actually BELIEVE the tremendous hype set around this catastrophe Microsoft call a 'console'.

I feel that, if people have already got themselves a PS2, then they won't bother with the X-box, because it can't fo anything the PS2 can't; the only advantage is that it supposedly has is the ability to play Dreamcast games, but as far as I know, this was only a far-out rumour - where did you read this, YH? Anyone?

By the time the X-box is out over here, the PS2 AND GameCube will have online capabilities, which leaves X-box in the s**t, 'cause it will only have about 5-6 exclusive games and the Dreamcast games; people will already have a Dreamcast - so why do they want to get an X-box for?

GameCube for me, because it will RULE completely in the multiplayer and single-player market, the games will be mind-blowing and the fun will never stop.

Oh and, one more thing that really puts me off about the X-box, is the sheer size of it and the fact that a silly amount of people complained about the 'feel' of the controller at E3, I must admit, itdoes look odd (*cough* Dreamcast *cough*).

Do you think that SEGA helped Microsoft design the controller, because annoyingly the X-box controller has the same Visual Memore unit thingy, doesn't it? Hmmm...unoriginal gits...

SHOCKY
Fri 19/10/01 at 16:29
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Who here is going to buy an x-box at launch for £300, and why? Just out of interest.
Fri 19/10/01 at 16:21
Regular
"Digging!"
Your Honour wrote:
> Let's put it like this.

There are 10 million people who bought DCs because
> they like playing games.

MS and Sega announced a big exclusivity deal earlier
> in the week. People still want to play Sega games as they are
> fantastic.

People will buy the machine that offers them the most Sega games.
> People will buy an XBox.

If the XBox sells 10 million units in the first 12
> months, I suspect MS will be well impressed.

If you lot think that the XBox
> will be a failure in that it won't sell as many as the PS2, then you're right.
> There's no way the XBox will sell as many units as the PS2, but that doesn't
> make it failure, not by a long way.

The game cube will also have sega games on it and it is cheaper and better and nintendo has console making expereance
Fri 19/10/01 at 16:19
Regular
"Digging!"
It will not sell because it is basically a pc. it uses windows me (not what you want really, to have to turn it on, watch it boot up, put in the disc and play, rater tan other consoles where you put in the game and turn it on).
Fri 19/10/01 at 16:05
Regular
Let's put it like this.

There are 10 million people who bought DCs because they like playing games.

MS and Sega announced a big exclusivity deal earlier in the week. People still want to play Sega games as they are fantastic.

People will buy the machine that offers them the most Sega games. People will buy an XBox.

If the XBox sells 10 million units in the first 12 months, I suspect MS will be well impressed.

If you lot think that the XBox will be a failure in that it won't sell as many as the PS2, then you're right. There's no way the XBox will sell as many units as the PS2, but that doesn't make it failure, not by a long way.
Fri 19/10/01 at 15:46
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Tellah wrote:
> DVD out of the box?

Sorry.. it's me again...

Microsoft haven't allowed it to play DVD's "out of the Box"
It requires you to by the remote and driver for DVD playback first!!

It does say this on their "official site"

Sorry again!!
Fri 19/10/01 at 15:31
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Whatever your views on it, you can be sure it will be backed for a while. Microsoft are not the kinda people to spend all this money and then say "Oh well, it failed. Back to PCs...."

I saw a documentary on them, and they are really going for it.

I wont be getting one though, my house isn't big enough.
Fri 19/10/01 at 15:04
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
The situation seems almost identical to the PSX - N64 one a while back.
The x-box is too late - All the hardcore gamers (the ones that will pay £299) - will have a PS2 before the x-box launch.

I think Your Honour said himself that £299 was too much for a family console and will wait - you being an x-box fan and not buying one at launch... hmmmmmm.

If everyone does that, there's not going to be much chance of a price reduction, is there?

Who here is going to buy an x-box at launch for £300, and why? Just out of interest.
Fri 19/10/01 at 14:57
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
I don't want to write the x-box off, but I need convincing on what it can offer for £100 more than the competition, and games at £10 more...

My original question still remains blissfully unanswered:

What does the x-box offer over the other consoles? A couple of exclusive titles and more polygons per second?? Internet Access and DVD out of the box? Microsoft have said nothing to convince me..... That's the important fact... Where are the ads, screenshots, movies? They need to get it in people's faces if they're going to stop people buying PS2s!

Why is the x-box going to be special? In particular, more special than the PS2?

Competition is healthy, but does anyone really think that the x-box will gain a share of the market? Look at the situation...

It looks like the PS2 will sew up the 'Home Entertainment' market, certainly it will have done after christmas. This is a fact. Ask anyone in your office/school etc. what they will treat themselves too at christmas.

Maybe microsoft are aiming at the PC user? But seeing as you can get Deus Ex etc. for £9.99 on the PC, I can't imaging PC users trading their monster machines for a console.

Who's going to be left to buy an X-Box? And at that price? Unless Microsoft advertise solid from now 'till x-mas, there's only 1 console that's going to be flying out of the shops come 24th December, and it's not pre-orders for x-box!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.