GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Sony are number 1"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/06/03 at 13:18
Regular
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/primal/news_6030684.html

Sony to sponsor Ozzfest 2003.
It's things like this, and sponsoring skate tournaments and various other Gen X events that promote the brand, encourage sales and increase loyalty.
Capturing the market with disposable income and a love for video games.

And, this isn't a knock on Nintendo, but that's why Nintendo are forever stuck as "kiddy" and lack the sorts of sales in Europe that Sony do. Because they dont market themselves very well.
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:37
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Nintendo are just living in the 16-bit era, where they were universally known as the best.
People 'played on the Nintendo', even if they were using a Master System or a CDi.

They think that they can still do this. And in some respects, they can. The GameBoy brand is as universally acknowledged as the PlayStation brand is, and that has made Nintendo lazy in terms of marketing.
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:35
Regular
"8==="
'Ronseal Wood Varnish - Does exactly what it says on the tin'.

Practicality.
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yes but practicality doesn't figure in marketing campaigns, it's one of the no-nos.
Keep it fresh, exciting, eye catching and innovative. You dont discuss specs and technicalities until you have the sale
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:30
Regular
"8==="
Goatboy wrote:
>
> And it went from a marketing strategy discussion

I think practicality falls into the area of a marketing strategy discussion don't you? So we widened the thread to encompass some more aspects of marketing. Widening of thread topics happens all the time. Hell I ended up talking about wrestling after arguing about a year old post, and all in one thread in the xbox forum, only yesterday.
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:28
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
gerrid wrote:
> They'll never improve.
--

But it appears from the snowboarding expo thing that they are catching on to the best way to increase awareness.
You dont even need games at this sort of promotional level, it's merely the name - getting into everyday knowledge.

Same with Coca Cola. They dont need to advertise, they are the worlds most recognisable brand - to the extent that the colours and text style are heavily copyrighted.
It's not about selling Coke, it's about reinforcing brand awareness. Which is what Sony have realised by sponsorship of cultural events.
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:26
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Hedfix wrote:
> oh we talked about practicality too. I thought marketing people liked
> to use practicality or the fashionable lack of practicality to flog a
> few things too.
--

Not when it comes to print marketing. Especially within designer electronics.
Where have you ever seen an advert for PS2 "The Third Place...and it fits nicely under the tv" or Xbox "Life is Short: Also impressive dimensions that mean storage space is limited"

Increasing product awareness is promoting the brand through snappy images or memorable copy. It has to capture the imagination within 2-3 seconds, especially in magazines where pages are flipped rapidly.
Practicality only comes into play once you have the attention of the potential buyer, you then stress the benefits that may not be immediately apparent.

Sponsorship of cultural events has no bearing on design or function, it's merely associating the name with an event to absorb whatever cache comes with being linked to that type of event.
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:25
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I know.
But Nintendo have always been crap at marketing and advertising.
We all know that.
They'll never improve.
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:23
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
gerrid wrote:
> If you hadn't said anything about preaching to the converted, I
> wouldn't have pointed out that that's what you were doing.
-----

I was referring to Nintendo's main advertising which appears to be in Nintendo magazines, hardly the best method of obtaining new business and increasing product knowledge.
That was what I was getting at
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:21
Regular
"8==="
oh we talked about practicality too. I thought marketing people liked to use practicality or the fashionable lack of practicality to flog a few things too.
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:19
Regular
"8==="
No obviously what I think marketing is must be completely wrong.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.