GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Sony are number 1"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/06/03 at 13:18
Regular
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/primal/news_6030684.html

Sony to sponsor Ozzfest 2003.
It's things like this, and sponsoring skate tournaments and various other Gen X events that promote the brand, encourage sales and increase loyalty.
Capturing the market with disposable income and a love for video games.

And, this isn't a knock on Nintendo, but that's why Nintendo are forever stuck as "kiddy" and lack the sorts of sales in Europe that Sony do. Because they dont market themselves very well.
Fri 27/06/03 at 17:17
Regular
"8==="
Goatboy wrote:
> Anyone remember the news story about Saddam Hussein powering his
> nuclear weapons with the processor from PS2?
>
No, it sounds like a News of the World story.

i thought of a nice repulsive brand too. McDonalds (oh and Dixons).
Fri 27/06/03 at 17:16
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Goatboy wrote:
> I've
> done it here as part of my work, introducing buzz words and
> catchphrases until they've attained common usage.
> "Muuuuuh"
> "Gaycube"
> "Nintardo"
> "*fap fap fap fap fap fap*" etc, nonsense words that now are
> used as part of the everyday lexicon here and may spread into common
> usage outside as well.

My catchphrases are better, Goatbi.
Fri 27/06/03 at 17:15
Regular
"8==="
Funny thing is when a brand gets so strong it becomes repulsive. I seem to go out of my way to buy alba etc over Sony. I will not go and see extremely popular movies because the over-whelming hype will make them a let down. I check before I buy.

The only ads i pay attention to are the ones that say:

"5 videos for 20 pounds at HMV" That I'll take advantage of.

Being easy led leads to cliffs. :D

(another fun thing is that companies bother to advertise on music channels when anyone with a brain changes the channels when the ads come on. I also go straight to the music channel when ads come on normal tv. I have a sixth sense for knowing when the ad breaks just over and I flick back)
Fri 27/06/03 at 17:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Hedfix wrote:
> Sony sponsoring Gen-X events is now a cliche.
--

But it works, it works well and you dont even need a product. It's reinforcement of a brand, nothing more.
Anyone remember the news story about Saddam Hussein powering his nuclear weapons with the processor from PS2?

That got global coverage and got people talking about the power of the "PS2".
That's bloody clever, couldn't pay for that kind of coverage of the marketplace.
Fri 27/06/03 at 17:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Also with products like Dulux, Ronseal...home improvement type commercials,your audience is typically an over 40 homeowner, who will happily sit and watch a commercial that is explanatory, informative and goes into specifications.
Wheras consoles are aimed at 20+, who are notoriously difficult to keep their attentions focused. It's why eMpTyV is blip-quick, has to be fast and snappy. We have the attention spans of a cat, unless it's hummingbird fast? We ain't gonna look.

But it's the repetition of the brand/phrase until it sinks in. I've done it here as part of my work, introducing buzz words and catchphrases until they've attained common usage.
"Muuuuuh"
"Gaycube"
"Nintardo"
"*fap fap fap fap fap fap*" etc, nonsense words that now are used as part of the everyday lexicon here and may spread into common usage outside as well.

Stealth marketing, to introduce an idea/phrase/product under the radar until it becomes accepted and everyday commonplace.
And now I'm off to go play.
Fri 27/06/03 at 17:03
Regular
"8==="
I thought ads were now less about selling to the consumer and more about gaining more shelf space in the shops?

The company says we've got these ads coming up so the retailers buy more of the product as it will be more recognisable and (supposedly) more sought after.
Fri 27/06/03 at 17:00
Regular
"8==="
Goatboy wrote:
>
> Sony are stealth-advertising, and they're damn good at it

It's blatantly obvious advertising to me. I think Coke's approach to films is the stealthiest advertising I've seen. They give money to films for subtly putting in a coke machine somewhere. B movies are full of them. But it's never in-your-face obvious.

Sony sponsoring Gen-X events is now a cliche.
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:54
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Television ads are a completely different medium to print ads, you have on average 30 seconds to get your point across. You can afford to have the lead-in, the main copy and an outro but you still need a hook to hang the ad on.

Print ads have to rely on a visual, something punchy and, possibly, memorable copy. Look at the Yorkie ads, the "not for women"
The tv commercials are involved things with a punchline, wheras the print runs are "Save your money for driving lessons" etc - a completely different approach is needed.
Print you get an average of 2 seconds to create impact, to get your message across and that's done through visuals - not practicality.

And another approach is this sponsorship approach, no need for promotions of games or hardware - just the name. Keep hammering your brand-name into people's brain until it sticks. Once you've got your product imbedded, then you can start with the more involved marketing.
Which is why Sony do so well, the tournaments, the BMX events, the rapping contests. It's not about PS2, it's "Sony" creating a brand name that you equate with "cool" and "alternative", because one of the hardest people to sell to is Gen X - 25+ - because we have become so media savvy, all with "No Logo" in our pockets that if we sniff deliberate advertising, we walk away.

Sony are stealth-advertising, and they're damn good at it
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:47
Regular
"8==="
Goatboy wrote:

> That would be "Does exactly what it says on the tin. Also, is
> waterproof, requires only one coat,

I believe one of the ads said as much. :D

So are the Dulux one coat ads practicality based to?

I'd say the sinus and cold ones have a basis in practicality too.
Fri 27/06/03 at 16:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Hedfix wrote:
> 'Ronseal Wood Varnish - Does exactly what it says on the tin'.
>
> Practicality.
---

No.
That's a strap-line that's memorable. It happens to promote what the brand does, but does not discuss practicality.
That would be "Does exactly what it says on the tin. Also, is waterproof, requires only one coat, is non-toxic through inhalation" etc

It's memorable copy, not practicality.
But hey, I just do this for a job so whadda I know?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.