GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My TR:AOD impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/07/03 at 19:20
Regular
Right, first off it's not the game everyone is waiting for, sadly. The controls are terrible and i have to be honest, worst i've seen in a game yet, Lara must take an extra 10 seconds after you have pushed the walking control (for example) to make her actaully walk!! The same goes to every move she has, which ruins the game straight away. Secondly it has more bugs then a back garden: Fall to your Death and Lara still screams in the Game Over options menu, and after playing for five minutes i've had to turn the console off and back on again as it froze, i can sense a terrible bug later on in the game which will stop you from playing on!!! but we will just have to wait and see. The Graphics are surpeb in cut-scenes but fall to mediocre while playing, however i reckon they get better later on as the first level is dark and rainy anyway, so i'm ready to take this point back. I don't know exactly what Eidos or Core (who do i blame??) have been doing for the last 5 or so years? Not concentrating on this game, that's a fact.

HOWEVER, I think it's great, it's really weird. All these problems haven't made me stop playing it and in 10 minutes of play i must of died at least 10 times (loading to get back into game terrible as well) but it still hasn't stopped me from going on and trying again, but if Trial and Error isn't your thing, Tomb Raider is not for you, SO STEER WELL CLEAR...

If you have been waiting for this for years, get ready for a big shock, your going to be very dissapointed. I have hated every Tomb Raider game since Number 1, but the hype has made me buy this, so i haven't highly anticipated it, making it quite a good game. but for the rest of you, you might begin to think Lara should of died in the last one. I rate this game 6/10 :S
Thu 03/07/03 at 18:41
"period drama"
ÂLÂS†ÂÎR wrote:
I can't
> understand what you mean by that comment.

Obviously.
I meant they're not bad games by today's standard - there's a hell of a lot of guff about - and maybe Wookie took what I said too strongly. Primal and The Getaway are to games that didn't live up to the hype, that is all I said, I never generalised every modern game as dissapointing.
Thu 03/07/03 at 18:04
Regular
"Whatever!"
Should be getting it tomorrow - Looking forward to it!
Thu 03/07/03 at 17:55
Regular
I got this today and the graphics are well good. It's an amazing game.
Thu 03/07/03 at 16:54
"High polygon count"
m.o.t wrote:
> It does amaze me that you haven't had the bugs that i have had!! I've
> never moaned about any console and i honestly wouldn't lie about the
> game having such bugs

I never intended to call you a liar, though I can see it may look that way. I'm only commenting on my own experience with the game, and that - so far - seems wildly different to yours.

But we're both enjoying it, so who cares, right? :-)

Anyway, if anyone lives in the Northampton area, they're quite welcome to come round and watch it running on my PS2 to see the astounding lack of bugs for themselves!
Thu 03/07/03 at 16:54
Regular
What are you talking about played more than me? I know a quality game when I see one and seeing as though I have owned every console (bar the Saturn) since the Nes I don't really think you have played more games than I have.

Oh and just because you don't want the rest of the Xbox games released means jack because thats down to your preference. You seemed to miss off games likes BC, Amped 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Galaxies, Kameo from the Xbox Line-Up and then of course from the GameCube line up games like Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe, Project NO3 just to name a few. If you were really the game "buff" which you keep suggesting then you would be looking forward to these games which I am sure meet your taste for genres.

I also believe that Onimusha 3 is heading for the Xbox. It wasn't confirmed but IGN believed that they were hinting at a joint release with the PS2 version. When I get my PS2 I am essentially getting around 4 of the exclusives that I rate very highly but until MGS3 I doubt there will be anything in the way of a purchase. I only bring this up because people thought I was digging the PS2 for saying I only think there are 4 games that I think are worth getting on the PS2 considering that I can pick up the rest on either the PC or my other 3 consoles.
Thu 03/07/03 at 16:35
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
It does amaze me that you haven't had the bugs that i have had!! I've never moaned about any console and i honestly wouldn't lie about the game having such bugs, (remember that's why eidos have put it back so many times). Putting 'Bugs' aside the game is superb, i did say i am enjoying it and i never knew i would get such a response about my impressions. Remember everyone has different tastes and opinions on different games, take what you said about Fable for Xbox for example, i totally agree with you about RPG's, i hate the damn things, i also hate Final Fantasy but many people like it. I'm pleased someone is pleased with the new Tomb Raider game, at least the Long wait wasn't a waste of time for you, so good for you. Now should we finish the subject?????? the Xbox, Ps2 and Gamecube all rule and we should be happy that we have such a variety of entertainment and that we have such products in our homes :)
Thu 03/07/03 at 15:26
"High polygon count"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Wookie, have you tried Jet Set Radio Future?

Yup. Borrowed it off a mate, along with Sega GT - on the disc that MS started giving away. Sega GT was okay, but I absolutely, totally DETESTED JSRF - hated the gameplay, the graphical style, and the music.

> I also bought Nightfire as well recently

Played a (different) mates copy on PS2. Was okay, but I'm not a big fan of the Bond games.

> And are you saying your not looking forward to Half Life 2 and Counter Strike, or Fable?

Half Life 2 I'll probably get on PC - still the best for FPS games, in my opinion - the mouse is just so superior to any joypad. Had the first on PC, which was great - but never bohtered with Counter Strike.

Fable... from what I've read is essentially an RPG, which I usually can't stand. Might keep an eye on it though.
Thu 03/07/03 at 15:08
"I love yo... lamp."
I might get it, but probably not. I was never a big Tomb Raider fan.

Wookie, have you tried Jet Set Radio Future? It really is a great game. I also bought Nightfire as well recently and I think it is really good. Massively under rated. And are you saying your not looking forward to Half Life 2 and Counter Strike, or Fable?

*keels over in shock*
Thu 03/07/03 at 15:03
"High polygon count"
Darwock wrote:
> I've never seen any moans about the quality of X-box games...

I did moan, months ago, in the Xbox forum. Not about the machine, but about my percieved lack of quality software for it.

I still stand by what I said at the time though. The last Xbox game I bought was Splinter Cell, last year (well, I got it for Xmas). I still look around in Game at all the titles, but nothing really grabs me.

Munch's Oddyssey, PGR, TimeSplitters 2, Halo, Splinter Cell, Max Payne and DOA3 are all I've owned for Xbox since I bought one on launch day.

I still have all of them except 2 - DOA3 I took back because it was no different to DOA2, and the controller killed my fingers; Max Payne I bought 2nd-hand, completed in 2 nights and sold on eBay for more than I paid for it.

I probably would have sold it (the Xbox) by now, but MS have devalued it so much with their price hacks that it wouldn't be worth it anyway. So I may as well just keep it for the odd worthwhile title. So far I'm looking forward to Dino Crisis 3 and possibly PGR2 - if they do away with the cones.

No doubt it won't be long before I'm accused of being biased/a fanboy, so I'll just pre-empt it by saying this...

So far this year, I've bought:

3 PC games - IGI2, C&C Generals and CM4

3 Gamecube games: Resident Evil, Resident Evil Zero and Metroid Prime

1 PS2 game: Angel of Darkness

0 Xbox games

What am I looking forward to?

PC - nothing in partcular

Gamecube - Resi4 and the other remakes

PS2 - GT4, Ghosthunter, Onimusha 3, Ico 2, Ratchet & Clank 2, Jak 2: Renegade, MGS3, Syphon Filter: Omega Strain, Ridge Racer 6 (possibly), Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon, Resident Evil: Outbreak (*if* I bother going online with it)

Xbox - Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Dino Crisis 3, PGR2 (possibly)

Make of that what you will.
Thu 03/07/03 at 14:30
"High polygon count"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Just suprises me that you moan about the quality of Xbox games only to
> go out and buy a mediocre PS2 game riddled with errors only not to
> complain about it.

In case you didn't read it - I haven't encountered any of the bugs, so there has been nothing for me to complain about.

And have I said anything here about Xbox games? No. When did I last moan about Xbox games? I haven't been to the forum for over 3 months - possibly longer, and haven't bought an Xbox game since last year!

I've never complained about bugs in Xbox software, so I don't know where you're coming from with that. But since you mention it, there was a major bug in TS2 on Xbox, where it sometimes couldn't find the HD to save the game, and reported that the drive had apparently been removed!

When I talk about the quality of Xbox software, I'm talking about the lack of games that actually make me want to buy and play them (the last being Splinter Cell last year!) and not whether there are bugs or not.

At least Tomb Raider is a game I really want to play, even if it is (supposedly) severely bugged.

Maybe it's because I'm an older gamer and have experienced far more than you, but the odd bug doesn't bother me in the slightest. If it's non-fatal (i.e. doesn't crash the game) then it's really not an issue as far as I'm concerned. When you've played games that take 20 minutes to load and crash every 30 minutes, it really puts things into perspective.

Even so, just to re-iterate - I have not experienced any bugs in AOD so far, apart from the one minor quirk already mentioned. Whether or not you believe me is entirely your choice, but personally I don't care one way or the other.

Don't start going all fanboy again - you've been bearable recently, so don't spoil it now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.