GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My TR:AOD impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/07/03 at 19:20
Regular
Right, first off it's not the game everyone is waiting for, sadly. The controls are terrible and i have to be honest, worst i've seen in a game yet, Lara must take an extra 10 seconds after you have pushed the walking control (for example) to make her actaully walk!! The same goes to every move she has, which ruins the game straight away. Secondly it has more bugs then a back garden: Fall to your Death and Lara still screams in the Game Over options menu, and after playing for five minutes i've had to turn the console off and back on again as it froze, i can sense a terrible bug later on in the game which will stop you from playing on!!! but we will just have to wait and see. The Graphics are surpeb in cut-scenes but fall to mediocre while playing, however i reckon they get better later on as the first level is dark and rainy anyway, so i'm ready to take this point back. I don't know exactly what Eidos or Core (who do i blame??) have been doing for the last 5 or so years? Not concentrating on this game, that's a fact.

HOWEVER, I think it's great, it's really weird. All these problems haven't made me stop playing it and in 10 minutes of play i must of died at least 10 times (loading to get back into game terrible as well) but it still hasn't stopped me from going on and trying again, but if Trial and Error isn't your thing, Tomb Raider is not for you, SO STEER WELL CLEAR...

If you have been waiting for this for years, get ready for a big shock, your going to be very dissapointed. I have hated every Tomb Raider game since Number 1, but the hype has made me buy this, so i haven't highly anticipated it, making it quite a good game. but for the rest of you, you might begin to think Lara should of died in the last one. I rate this game 6/10 :S
Wed 02/07/03 at 19:20
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Right, first off it's not the game everyone is waiting for, sadly. The controls are terrible and i have to be honest, worst i've seen in a game yet, Lara must take an extra 10 seconds after you have pushed the walking control (for example) to make her actaully walk!! The same goes to every move she has, which ruins the game straight away. Secondly it has more bugs then a back garden: Fall to your Death and Lara still screams in the Game Over options menu, and after playing for five minutes i've had to turn the console off and back on again as it froze, i can sense a terrible bug later on in the game which will stop you from playing on!!! but we will just have to wait and see. The Graphics are surpeb in cut-scenes but fall to mediocre while playing, however i reckon they get better later on as the first level is dark and rainy anyway, so i'm ready to take this point back. I don't know exactly what Eidos or Core (who do i blame??) have been doing for the last 5 or so years? Not concentrating on this game, that's a fact.

HOWEVER, I think it's great, it's really weird. All these problems haven't made me stop playing it and in 10 minutes of play i must of died at least 10 times (loading to get back into game terrible as well) but it still hasn't stopped me from going on and trying again, but if Trial and Error isn't your thing, Tomb Raider is not for you, SO STEER WELL CLEAR...

If you have been waiting for this for years, get ready for a big shock, your going to be very dissapointed. I have hated every Tomb Raider game since Number 1, but the hype has made me buy this, so i haven't highly anticipated it, making it quite a good game. but for the rest of you, you might begin to think Lara should of died in the last one. I rate this game 6/10 :S
Wed 02/07/03 at 19:59
"High polygon count"
Have to disagree with most of that.

> The controls are terrible and i have to be honest, worst i've seen in a
> game yet

The controls are barely different to the previous games.

> Lara must take an extra 10 seconds after you have pushed the
> walking control (for example) to make her actaully walk!!

Not the experience I've had.

> Secondly it has more bugs then a back garden: Fall to your Death and
> Lara still screams in the Game Over options menu

That hasn't happened to me AT ALL, and I've died several times.

> and after playing for five minutes i've had to turn the console off and
> back on again as it froze

I played it for 14 hours straight yesterday, stopping only for my dinner and occasional toilet trips. It hasn't crashed once.

> The Graphics are surpeb in cut-scenes but fall to mediocre while playing,

Again, not in my experience. In fact, I find them slightly worse in cutscenes than in the game! In-game graphics are clear and believably solid.

> If you have been waiting for this for years

I was.

> your going to be very dissapointed.

I wasn't.

I expected to be after all the negative reviews, but it's far better than they had me believing.
Wed 02/07/03 at 19:59
"period drama"
If everyone just listened to me in the first place you'd all have saved loads of money.
The Getaway, Primal, all by my predictions. I should be paid for these kinds of predictions.
Wed 02/07/03 at 20:00
"High polygon count"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> The Getaway, Primal, all by my predictions. I should be paid for these
> kinds of predictions.

Played and completed both of those, too. Both excellent games. Have you no taste?! ;-)
Wed 02/07/03 at 20:47
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:

> The controls are barely different to the previous games.

That's where the problem is then.
Wed 02/07/03 at 20:48
"High polygon count"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> That's where the problem is then.

I don't see how that's a 'problem' when they were pretty much spot-on?
Wed 02/07/03 at 20:55
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I don't see how that's a 'problem' when they were pretty much spot-on?

If you call pressing the jump button and having to wait 5 seconds before the silly bint actually jumps, then that's your opinion.

It was fine back in the day but what with the invention of analog sticks and things, it just isn't right anymore. I can remember the countless hours I would spend lining Lara up for the jumps, you had to get it exactly right, making sure you had the right distance for her to run, otherwise the silly gimp would run off the edge of a cliff. Compare the unresponsive controls of Tomb Raider games to the finely tuned controls of a game like Mario or Jak and Daxter, and there really is no contest.
Wed 02/07/03 at 21:10
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Well if the controls were this bad in all Tomb Raider games i'm extremly surprised that this Franchise has lived this long then, this is my opinion and i'm sorry i'm not changing it, read www.ebgames.com Tomb Raider reviews and they all say the same thing!!! Be honest has the new Tomb Raider game really lived up to your expectations? Weren't people promised a Next-Gen Tomb Raider and your arguing to me about the controls have always been this bad in all Tomb Raider games, Well, shouldn't they have changed them? They had plenty of time too. I think this is a case of being a tad over Protected of Lara and didn't i say i liked the game??, i just gave my opinion on the many faults i think it has, other then that it's a great Action/Adventure. Oh and remember i haven't played Tomb Raider games before (well i rented the first one years ago and did't like it) so i obviously wouldn't know the controls of all Tomb Raider games :D
Wed 02/07/03 at 21:38
"period drama"
YM;Yx@n§†€® wrote:
> FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> The Getaway, Primal, all by my predictions. I should be paid for
> these
> kinds of predictions.
>
> Played and completed both of those, too. Both excellent games. Have
> you no taste?! ;-)

*Eats carpet tile*
What was that?
Wed 02/07/03 at 21:40
"period drama"
But seriously - they're not bad games (pretty good by today's standards anywho) but didn't live up to all the hype and weren't the gaming classics everyone was hoping for.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.