GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My TR:AOD impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/07/03 at 19:20
Regular
Right, first off it's not the game everyone is waiting for, sadly. The controls are terrible and i have to be honest, worst i've seen in a game yet, Lara must take an extra 10 seconds after you have pushed the walking control (for example) to make her actaully walk!! The same goes to every move she has, which ruins the game straight away. Secondly it has more bugs then a back garden: Fall to your Death and Lara still screams in the Game Over options menu, and after playing for five minutes i've had to turn the console off and back on again as it froze, i can sense a terrible bug later on in the game which will stop you from playing on!!! but we will just have to wait and see. The Graphics are surpeb in cut-scenes but fall to mediocre while playing, however i reckon they get better later on as the first level is dark and rainy anyway, so i'm ready to take this point back. I don't know exactly what Eidos or Core (who do i blame??) have been doing for the last 5 or so years? Not concentrating on this game, that's a fact.

HOWEVER, I think it's great, it's really weird. All these problems haven't made me stop playing it and in 10 minutes of play i must of died at least 10 times (loading to get back into game terrible as well) but it still hasn't stopped me from going on and trying again, but if Trial and Error isn't your thing, Tomb Raider is not for you, SO STEER WELL CLEAR...

If you have been waiting for this for years, get ready for a big shock, your going to be very dissapointed. I have hated every Tomb Raider game since Number 1, but the hype has made me buy this, so i haven't highly anticipated it, making it quite a good game. but for the rest of you, you might begin to think Lara should of died in the last one. I rate this game 6/10 :S
Fri 04/07/03 at 10:51
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
So why is everyone saying she takes 10 seconds to start running? Do these people just have really weak thumbs?
Fri 04/07/03 at 10:43
Regular
"Hallelujah"
It is pressure sensitive, which is why if you whack up quickly she starts running almost instantaniously.
Fri 04/07/03 at 10:41
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Even the PS2 D-pad is analogue, there's no excuse for not making the run speed a pressure sensitive thing.
Fri 04/07/03 at 10:35
Regular
"Hallelujah"
It's my opinion that m.o.t has no clue what he's waffling on about and just wanted to look smart with the "bugs" comment. Yes the controls are DIFFERENT! but after 20 minutes or so and a little pressure from situations its easy to get things righht. then the game is easier and every flows smoother. And as for the walk-into-run concept, its so you dont accidentally tap the pad and plummet to the ground bellow, this was a bug in the previous games!
Fri 04/07/03 at 09:52
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I see Alastair has resorted to listing games and making statements like "I've owned every console since the NES".

Time to stop reading this thread.

Will we never be set free?!?!?
Fri 04/07/03 at 09:41
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Just a suggestion here:

I wouldn't be boasting about how many games/consoles you owned, it doesn't come off as cool or "Wow! I want to know this person!!"
It conjures images of pale-skinned, monitor-tanned sociopaths arguing over which is better, Space Invaders or Galactica whilst people walk past and snigger, throw stones and dance outside whilst you rest your forehead against the rain-lashed window and sigh as a single tear rolls down your cheek, your interior voice hissing Gollum-like "It's ok, you don't need other people. They'll just let you down anyway"

Stick to arguing about how much beer you can consume and stuff.
Geeks
Thu 03/07/03 at 19:58
"period drama"
ÂLÂS†ÂÎR wrote:
> Never played Primal so I don't know. Of course there is a lot of tosh
> lying on the shelves but I think for the average gamers financial
> capacity there is enough to keep them going with superb titles across
> all 4 platforms.

Fair enough.
Thu 03/07/03 at 19:55
Regular
Why do you reply quoting the whole message? I wasn't looking to wade through a set of text with individual replies. I was pointing something out on the whole.

Oh and I don't buy any old "toss" as you seem to put it. I play a lot of games but only purchase the ones which I will enjoy. That includes a LOT of Japanese imports which you might not have even heard of and that won't ever reach these shores.

Whether you have or have not played any more games than I have is irrelavant because at the end of the day I play a fair share of games and I know the difference between a 'good' game and one thats good enough to be worthy of a purchase.

As for Darwock's comment...

Apparently anyone who says that REZ runs better on the Dreamcast is just a fanboy.

*Sniggers*
Thu 03/07/03 at 19:49
"High polygon count"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> What are you talking about played more than me? I know a quality game
> when I see one and seeing as though I have owned every console (bar
> the Saturn) since the Nes I don't really think you have played more
> games than I have.

Here we go again - I think Darwock may have been right about that inferiority complex.

For the love of God, just accept that some people have been playing games for longer than you, and have played more than you. Games didn't suddenly exist just because you decided to play them!

I'm 32 years old at the end of this month, and have been playing videogames since I was 8. I think it's fair to say that I've seen, played, loved and dismissed more games than you have - including some that you've probably never even heard of - and probably owned some consoles that you've never heard of, too!

You always come out with that "I've owned every console" line, and it doesn't mean jack. The NES wasn't the first home console - I owned three prior to that, including the first Pong machine.

> Oh and just because you don't want the rest of the Xbox games released
> means jack because thats down to your preference.

Did I claim anything else? I simply listed the games I was keeping an eye on, and I said nothing about any others apart from stating that many didn't appeal to me. Why is this *always* such a problem for you?

> You seemed to miss off games

I didn't miss off any games. I was listing those I've seen that interest me, that's all. Again, those you list are your preferences. Because *you* think they may be good, doesn't mean *I* have to rush out and buy them, or include them on my lists.

> If you were really the game "buff" which you keep suggesting
> then you would be looking forward to these games which I am sure meet
> your taste for genres.

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort - that seems to be your area, with the constant statements that "I've owned every console" and "I doubt you've played more games than me".

If, by some strange twist, you HAVE played more games than me, despite being around half my age (17/18 I believe), I can only conclude that you're not actually very fussy about your games. Because if you HAVE played more than me, you've bought some real toss in your time.

> I only bring this up because people thought I was digging the PS2 for saying I only
> think there are 4 games that I think are worth getting on the PS2
> considering

What, you mean like you assume I'm having a dig at the Xbox because I think there are only a small number of games worth having on that system?

Surely not!

Anyway, I'm off... my mates have just turned up for a night of PES2 on the PS2.
Thu 03/07/03 at 19:28
Regular
Never played Primal so I don't know. Of course there is a lot of tosh lying on the shelves but I think for the average gamers financial capacity there is enough to keep them going with superb titles across all 4 platforms.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.