GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My TR:AOD impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/07/03 at 19:20
Regular
Right, first off it's not the game everyone is waiting for, sadly. The controls are terrible and i have to be honest, worst i've seen in a game yet, Lara must take an extra 10 seconds after you have pushed the walking control (for example) to make her actaully walk!! The same goes to every move she has, which ruins the game straight away. Secondly it has more bugs then a back garden: Fall to your Death and Lara still screams in the Game Over options menu, and after playing for five minutes i've had to turn the console off and back on again as it froze, i can sense a terrible bug later on in the game which will stop you from playing on!!! but we will just have to wait and see. The Graphics are surpeb in cut-scenes but fall to mediocre while playing, however i reckon they get better later on as the first level is dark and rainy anyway, so i'm ready to take this point back. I don't know exactly what Eidos or Core (who do i blame??) have been doing for the last 5 or so years? Not concentrating on this game, that's a fact.

HOWEVER, I think it's great, it's really weird. All these problems haven't made me stop playing it and in 10 minutes of play i must of died at least 10 times (loading to get back into game terrible as well) but it still hasn't stopped me from going on and trying again, but if Trial and Error isn't your thing, Tomb Raider is not for you, SO STEER WELL CLEAR...

If you have been waiting for this for years, get ready for a big shock, your going to be very dissapointed. I have hated every Tomb Raider game since Number 1, but the hype has made me buy this, so i haven't highly anticipated it, making it quite a good game. but for the rest of you, you might begin to think Lara should of died in the last one. I rate this game 6/10 :S
Mon 14/07/03 at 09:55
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Okeydokey, first impressions. Not bad, controls are a bit of a pain, still trying to get used to rotating the camera around to get a better look at things.

Lining her up for jumps is a bit hit and miss, the amount of times I fell down the hole in the apartment block was rather annoying but finally got there in the end.

Bugs wise, I've had a couple, most notable one is/was Lara's ponytail decided to become the chopper blades while running around the roof top, which was funny :)

I've only got as far as the area underneath le serpent rouge garage but I'll give this some more playtime tonight.

Plus where the hell is the double guns, I really miss them :(
Tue 08/07/03 at 22:50
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
I've exprienced more bugs recently

When you enter the garage, you pull that handle which powers her up. She says i feel stronger but it sounds like that guy who shouts Mr Hahn on Hybrid thoery. Then when you get onto le serpant club, the room is empty and then suddenly speakers pop up out of no-where.

The idea of running at a guard shooting to the dance music was a good idea and pleased me a bit. Anyway, in the le serpant club, i got up to the very top, opened the light thingy but nothing is there. I've picked up a key which opened up a room on the bottom floor. Went in the room and picked up another key. Where to now?
Sun 06/07/03 at 19:56
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Keep the 'Bugs' coming and lets see if you have encounted the funniest bug. I have to admit, that sadly, the Bad-Guys are pretty poor aren't they?? But it doesn't ruin any fun of the game. Today i shot one and he went through a wall and was stuck there shaking, it looked like he was having a fit, and then another one didn't realised there was a gap in the floor that i neatly jumped through but he decided to run after me and i saw him pass me on the way down, pretty funny. :)

Have you encountered any funny bugs?? If so post them here!!!!
Sun 06/07/03 at 14:41
Regular
"Hallelujah"
The best bug i encountered was an armidillo thing can rolling at me and rolled into a wall, went through it and never returned! twas funny!
Sun 06/07/03 at 13:46
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
I played this for about 20 minutes yesterday.
The new controls are quite diificult to get used to and performing running jumps are damn annoying. The graphics impressed me though.
And I experienced a bug almost striaght away. When the helicopter is chasing you, Lara's ponytail decided to connect to the helicopter, making it look like Lara was wearing a bungee rope.
Sat 05/07/03 at 19:35
"High polygon count"
m.o.t wrote:
> then when she was on the floor dead she started screaming (again) and
> it carried on all the way through into the loading screen

I have now encountered that bug, but only once! Odd, isn't it, how you seem to get it regularly, and I don't? Again I stress that I'm not calling you a liar - it does genuinely strike me as odd how you seem to get it frequently and I don't.

> By the way Wookie, is it?? You have won a gameaday with your review of
> this game

Yep, it is me. I saw it earlier today, but thanks anyway!
Sat 05/07/03 at 18:25
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
I've spelt your name wrong, but i think you know who i mean!!WòókieeMøn§†€®. :)
Sat 05/07/03 at 18:24
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Overall i would say get it, but get ready for the bugs in the game (THAT COULD HAPPEN!!) I had so many last night that i had a great time laughing at them. One for example is in the Club at the beginning, i fell to my doom and to my amazement Lara hit 3 metal objects on her way down and it looked pretty cool, then when she was on the floor dead she started screaming (again) and it carried on all the way through into the loading screen of starting a new game, it was pretty funny. :)

By the way Wookie, is it?? You have won a gameaday with your review of this game, so whatever you thought about Tomb Raider SR agreed so congratulations, (if you didn't already know this, and i hope it is you) :)
Sat 05/07/03 at 15:29
"High polygon count"
Clazon wrote:
> on a completely unrelated subject. how swiftly have the standards
> dropped in ops2.

New editor, isn't it?

Mike wotsisface was the best editor. Mike Goldsmith, was it? Used to do OPM, and that went downhill when he left for OPS2. Now OPS2 is heading the same way. Once my sub runs out, I think I'll stick with PSM2 and just get the occasional OPS2 if there's a demo I want to try.
Sat 05/07/03 at 15:20
Regular
Angel Of Darkness should have a constant vibration function.

'Nuff said.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.