GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why am I not interested in Xbox Live?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/07/03 at 09:12
Regular
I'm not bothered about it, but I'm beginning to question why not.

I truly don't like first person shooter frag fests - running around in circles blasting, blasting, blasting - gives me a headache.
I'm not that bothered about racing cars around circuits and coming first, coming last, whatever.

So I'm not interested. Should I be? Am I missing out?
Do I have a blinkered view of the whole online gaming thing?

I don't think I'll ever sign up. Maybe a massive online RPG will sway me like Star Wars Galaxies....? - but it probably won't.

Shooting and racing - that's all I see, and that's not enough to get me interested.
Sun 27/07/03 at 09:12
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'm not bothered about it, but I'm beginning to question why not.

I truly don't like first person shooter frag fests - running around in circles blasting, blasting, blasting - gives me a headache.
I'm not that bothered about racing cars around circuits and coming first, coming last, whatever.

So I'm not interested. Should I be? Am I missing out?
Do I have a blinkered view of the whole online gaming thing?

I don't think I'll ever sign up. Maybe a massive online RPG will sway me like Star Wars Galaxies....? - but it probably won't.

Shooting and racing - that's all I see, and that's not enough to get me interested.
Sun 27/07/03 at 11:00
Regular
You ever played a PC game online? I get a rush playing them - Its cool. Yes it sounds "geeky" but you get to meet some good players and chat about anything. Its fun. Its just like the forums with added speech and gaming. Its a laugh. Its better then playing by yourself. You even get a challenge with some players who might be marginally better then you.

Ok so you don't like Shooting/Racing games. Not a big deal. Check out these titles then.

True Fantasy LIVE online - Cell shaded MMORPG. Looks the mutts.
Star Wars Galaxies - Like you said.
Capcom vs SNK 2: EO - 2D beat em up
NBA 2K3
NFL 2K3
NHL 2K3
MechAssault
Amped 2
Crimson Skies.

Thats just to name a few!

+ Theres content download.

I know what you are getting at though - It's the setting up process that has put me off for a while and I need faster broadband to run it. Online gaming is different - And put it this way - People who you beat won't be able to attack you afterwards :P

Ask Tiltawhirl. Ask Savatt. Ask anyone. They'll tell you how much they love LIVE.
Sun 27/07/03 at 11:59
Regular
It's not that great so far.
Sun 27/07/03 at 12:19
Regular
And you'd know this how?

Jesus Maverick, you love having opinions on things you've never properly experienced.

Mr Glove, you'll find that most of the games on Live are shooty things. If you don't like shooty games then that's fair enough, but they're certainly not run around fragging everyone games. There's tons of tactics involved in games like Wolfenstein and SOF2. Tis a great feling when you find a game where people really do work as a team, you've got the medics running round healing people, soldiers laying down the covering fire as the lieutenants call in air strikes etc etc

Though it's true that the main Live games do involve shooting and driving. Probably best to wait till something like Galaxies or True Fantasy Live come out.

I was skeptical at first about online gaming, but now i've got it, I couldn't be happier.
Sun 27/07/03 at 12:26
Regular
Sorry, I meant for his tastes.
Sun 27/07/03 at 12:26
Regular
Also (Like Tiltawhirl just stated) Not all the "shooty" games are "shooty".

Forget Unreal Championship - Thats definatly not for you!

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Ghost Recon
Soldier of Fortune 2

Midtown madness 3.

Theres some pretty decent games out there Glovey.
Sun 27/07/03 at 15:47
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
I have it since the open Beta last November, it's okay but I don't know whether I'll bother renewing my subscription. It's nearly all FPS. Okay, so there are sports games, largely populated by annoying people who pull the game if they lose. Phantasy Star Online quickly grew repetitive - and why pay more each month when you've paid for Live ?? In the end it's suffering from the thing which plagues any online venture - idiots and people who take it all toooooooooo seriously.
Sun 27/07/03 at 15:52
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I understand what's been said about the teamwork and tactics involved in the shooters, and that it's not just all about blasting.
I've never played any games online ever, so I don't really know what's what.

I ain't got broadband at the moment, but maybe I'll give it a try some time soon. I'm playing Midtown Madness 3 at the moment, and I suppose it would be cool to take it online every now and then. Maybe I'm just afraid of becoming hopelessly addicted or something :)
Sun 27/07/03 at 16:06
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Crimson Skies shall rock muchly on Live.

I know it.
Sun 27/07/03 at 16:23
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
It is VERY rare in my experience that tactic on Xbox Live extend much past a self appointed person shouting orders at everyone else, who, unless they really know him, ignore him. The most successful teams are those who know each other in real life and get together on Live. Hopefully the changes to introduce a voice chat in Live will change that, but I doubt it. Ghost Recon is the worst for this, IMO, on most game types some people will sit in one place for an eternity, hoping to get the other team to move out of cover because they are bored to death.

At the moment I prefer offline gaming.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.