GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FREEOLA - formmail script changes!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/03/07 at 19:42
Regular
On your status page you have just added:

"Resolving PHP/CGI email issues on the server.: We are in the process of correcting a minor misconfiguration on the web servers which allowed mail to be sent without correctly specifying who the mail was sent from. If you are currently making use of a Formmail script or PHP email, please make sure that any emails your script tries to send are configured to be sent as coming from a Freeola Hosted email address."

Can Freeola say if this means you now MUST use the 'from' field in your forms?

The Freeola help pages say:

"From:You can also set the from field; this will be reflected in the "From:" field in your mail client, i.e. the sender of the email. So if you have more than one form you can easily see which is which.
"

I don't use this field - but if it is now to become mandatory then can you say how much notice you are giving before the changes take affect?

The formmail issues have been going on for quite a while so I hope if this field is now mandatory you don't suddenly introduce it without proper notice!

Thanks in advance from a slightly worried user!
Tue 20/03/07 at 15:55
Regular
Byteme,
You should be able to use this field:

Where value is the fields you require.

I prefer to validate the required fields user JavaScript.

As I mentioned earlier as the service is running slowly (if at all) then it's virtually impossible to develop formmail code at the moment.

I'm making use of BFormmail on one site. This logs the replies in a text file, so even if the email never arrives I get to see my messages! It's already saved me some embarrassment - but I know I've also missed many form messages over the last few weeks :(
Tue 20/03/07 at 15:36
Regular
"Gravity always wins"
This is my first post but like many others have been tearing my hair out over the past weeks. Freeola support assured me 100% of the delayed forms would get through eventually, now I'm hearing they're lost for good! Please somebody tell me this isn't true (even if you're lying, at least I'll get some sleep tonight).

I've always used the Freeola form_to_mail php script and have just managed to get a test form sending but the "missing_fields_redirect" doesn't work anymore. Because this line is still in my script does that make my script a third party script now? If so where do I put all that new -f parameter stuff. I use Dreamweaver to create web sites so goes without saying am a total dullard when it comes to code. Have contacted support but was hoping I may get some much needed help on the forum.

Even if I get this working, judging by recent posts, I'm not holding out much hope the problems are resolved. Freeola repeatedly apologise for the inconvenience but for those of us hosting commercial sites it is not only inconvenient but expensive, embarassing and frustating!
Tue 20/03/07 at 15:31
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
This is becoming VERY tiresome now.

I have today just received the:

SERVICE BULLETIN 14/03/2007:
Change affecting use of the form_to_mail.php script on Freeola-hosted websites

E mail, which of course arriving 6 days later is fantastic.

I then get the one from yesterday about the -f thing:

If you are currently using a third party or custom Form-to-Mail script, you need to add a fith paramater containing '-f [email protected]' with the same address as in your 'From:' header. An example is provided below:

mail('[email protected]', 'subject', 'body', 'From: [email protected]', '-f [email protected]');

and frankly I have no idea where to put this into my .php which 'used' to work fine but I am unable to ascertain if it works at all as nothings arriving, is this a back log or due to my now lack of -f thing ???.

Any suggestions (clean ones please) as to where to insert the new -f change would be gratefully received. I have done a text version of my .php at:

Link to php

for you to see the working version (well it used to).

And use the:

on the contact form

Thanks. Dan
Tue 20/03/07 at 15:16
Regular
After seemingly working ok first thing this morning, my forms seem to have packed up.

I'm assuming they are in a queue(again).

Personally I think Freeola were a bit premature removing the formmail item from the Status page!

loki - are you around today, an update from your point of view would be good?
Tue 20/03/07 at 14:58
Regular
That said before 2.30pm today they were flying in almost immediately - but last 2 messages have yet to arrive 15 mins and counting

Kev
Tue 20/03/07 at 14:50
Regular
GWD wrote:
> Kev,
> Are your standard Freeola forms working ok for you at the
> moment?

Hi GWD
Hmmmm well they are and they arent! am needing to change some code I spoke to support and see whats wrong I use their code and I was having a problem when someone tried to send from GMAIL as an eg it would not send! I think its resolved now BUT as a result of these changes now PRE cockup I simply clicked on reply to reply to a message sernt to me from the FORM now if I do that it sends my reply back to me and not the person who sent in the form in the first place!! Progress?? I think not. But with the new code correctly placed on the site yes the form is working.

Kev
Tue 20/03/07 at 14:01
Regular
webspin4u wrote:
> I have changed the script on my test pages as to change all my
> forms before I know they work will be a waste of time. None of
> the test pages have worked so far and I am running low on ideas.
> HELP !!!!!!!!!

Can you show us the address of one of your test pages?
Tue 20/03/07 at 13:59
Regular
I have changed the script on my test pages as to change all my forms before I know they work will be a waste of time. None of the test pages have worked so far and I am running low on ideas. HELP !!!!!!!!!
Tue 20/03/07 at 13:54
Regular
Kev,
Are your standard Freeola forms working ok for you at the moment?
Tue 20/03/07 at 13:41
Regular
well the forms work but if some one trys to send from a non freeola email address they get this message

The form was not submitted for the following reasons:
Invalid from address ([email protected]), please ensure you set your from field to a valid Freeola hosted e-mail address.

Please use your browser's back button to return to the form and try again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.