GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You got to have respect..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/09/03 at 00:33
Regular
"8==="
You got to have respect for a company which will not bow to 'style over content' tactics. Which relies on quality games over 'cookie cutter' crap and is so damn pig-headed that it's way is the right way that it actually deserves some kind of strange respect.

I just felt like saying that.
Fri 26/09/03 at 20:47
Regular
"  "
Indeed we can Alistair. That feels cool to say that... ;)
Fri 26/09/03 at 19:21
Regular
Believe me they will be already onto it :)

The thing with the Getaway is the fact that Rockstar had naff all to do with it and Sony were trying to fight a company who keep producing the highly enjoyable GTA series year in and year out. Its a bold move to make with a game of this 'nature' as the "Snuff" filled/related gameplay (as described by OPS2) has already caused massive problems in America and when Americans start to complain about a games content you know its going to be bad. Killing people with plastic bags, screwdrivers etc is going to cause mayhem. On its own it would be Rockstar trying to make a quick buck with a sick idea. However combined with their intentional storyline structure and the comparisons to Splinter Cell and the Mark of Kri I am actually really looking forward to it.

The Running Man is a superb idea which no one has turned into a game yet. To set the record straight its going to be NOTHING like the GTA games. They have used a completely different engine with Splinter Cell style stealth movements and a supposedly "new and refreshing" combat system.

I'm not going to say how good its going to be as I have no idea. Its a game which could be a 1/10 or a 9.5/10. I am laening towards the latter as the more I read about it the more it intriques me to want to grab a copy. I am going to ignore the reviews etc and pre order the game as a blind purchase. I very very rarely do this however I am confident Manhunt will produce the goods. Rockstar and Rockstar only can manage to pull such a controversial game like this and on this occassion I am backing them all the way.
Fri 26/09/03 at 19:12
Regular
"8==="
And then some guy in a bunny-suit will go postal and the lawsuits will start all over again. :D
Fri 26/09/03 at 19:11
Regular
Could be good, Mark of Kri with ED atmosphere, perhaps. Although I'll never trust anything related to GTA other than GTA after the Getaway.

*shudders*
Fri 26/09/03 at 19:07
Regular
Manhunt may look like a cash in but believe me it goes much deeper. The ideas and plans for it are funking amazing. I have seen a couple of video previews and read about the ideas behind it. To those not interested I can easily understand how it comes across as just a Rockstar cash in where they are relying on things like killing with plastic bags etc to appeal to people. I am looking past that and into the ideas behind the game.

A man on deathrow gets taken to a city ran by low life scum and all for the pleasure of one man... The Director! You do exactly what he says and follow what he wants you to do, that way your position to the gangs will not be revealed. However for the pleasure of 'The Director' a man - in a bunny suit heheheh - gets dropped into the city and you are order to hunt down and eliminate him. By choosing this path you will continue down one side of the game. However by not doing so you will be going against 'The Directors' wishes and you will be on your own until you see the errors of your ways. Its looking and sounding absolutley funking mint. Combining areas from Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, Mark or Kri and Max Payne and the ideas from the film 'Running Man' it looks like its going to silence those who think its just a cash in.

Trust me the force is strong with this one...

*Slaps self for playing KOTOR all day*

:)
Fri 26/09/03 at 18:59
Regular
"8==="
Rickoss wrote:
>
> Okay, now can you see I'm not trying to say the XBox is crap. All I'm
> saying is that the XBox doesn't have a very good XMas line-up, in my
> opinion, and there aren't enough games to make me want to buy it.

Fair enough it's just the way you put it came across as strangely dismissive. For instance I could just throw in Counterstrike and the GTA pack as evidence of a good christmas line-up.

The way you said it hadn't a good christmas lineup as if it was a definite fact really looked 'fanboy-ish'.

I now realise this is not what you intended to mean and that it was your opinion.
Fri 26/09/03 at 18:57
Regular
I've seen it in action and it looks amazing, plenty of people pre-order games without knowing if they're good or not; plus games like Manhunt and Pro Evo 3 don't matter to me, my brother get's PS2 games, I don't have one and I never intend of getting one, plus Manhunt looks like a cash-in, to me. Although I'll probably never find out, I'd prefer to concetrate on my Cube.

Kirby's Air Ride in action looks amazing, and for me seeing videos, and having played prequels, is enough for me. On occasion you come across crap sequels (like Mario Sunshine, for instance) but you normally still have a good bit of fun with it.

Some games are sure fire hits, too, like Viewtiful Joe, Mario Kart and F-Zero GX, even though I've played the latter.
Fri 26/09/03 at 18:56
Regular
"8==="
Cyclone wrote:
> I know it was sarcastic.
>
> I was just trying to explain to Alaister that..
>
> Ah forget it.

Sorry I thought you read ONLY as in I thought he should want more before buying it and that I was laughing at him for only wanting 10 games.
Fri 26/09/03 at 18:50
Regular
Thats what I mean. I haven't played Kirbys Air Ride but have read quite a lot about the ideas and plans. It makes me laugh when someone contemplates this as a definite purchase with the likes of Manhunt, Pro Evolution 3 Pikmin 2, WWE RAW 2, XIII, Mario Kart, F Zero GX, Counter Strike XB, Operation Flashpoint XB, Amped 2, 1080 Whitestorm etc all out in the coming months I just don't have the time or effort to waste on a game which could be hit or miss.
Fri 26/09/03 at 18:46
Regular
I'm having doubts as to whether I'mgoing to get Pikmin 2. Randomly generated leevls make for sloppy level design and ulimately aimless wandering, which made me sell PSO.

Plus it could well just be more of the same, I can't see how using 2 haracters can change the game so radically, and 2 new Pikmin may be good but their abilities seem a bit... boring. They don't seem to be needed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.