GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"chipped Xboxs?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/10/03 at 11:18
Regular
highly illigal, but no ones perfect eh?
Has anyone had the mod chip & 80 Gig Hardrive upgrade fitted yet?
apparently you can dump entire games to the drive for faster accsess!
I need more speed! and room for the music i've dumped to disk, only got 32000 Blocks left now! anyone know how much is too much? before it affects the games your playing? may have to buy another XBOX! probably down to a ton by Xmas anyhow
Tue 28/10/03 at 22:04
Regular
I don't need to - I just know it.
Tue 28/10/03 at 12:59
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> The funny thing is, we know he's modifying his console to play games
> illegally.
>
> We know it is illegal in that sense.
>
> I think he knows we know too.

Prove it.
Wed 22/10/03 at 22:41
Regular
"Remember me?"
ROFFEL!!!!!!
Wed 22/10/03 at 22:40
Regular
hence the '...' :D
Wed 22/10/03 at 22:39
Regular
"Remember me?"
And you were spot-on.
Wed 22/10/03 at 22:39
Regular
I was expecting some utter nob to do that...
Wed 22/10/03 at 21:43
Regular
"Remember me?"
Wed 22/10/03 at 20:43
Regular
The funny thing is, we know he's modifying his console to play games illegally.

We know it is illegal in that sense.

I think he knows we know too.

Therefore, the only person he's trying to convince...is himself!
Wed 22/10/03 at 13:16
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
JimTopBloke wrote:
> Am I completely wrong about everything?

Well, yeah. What all this has to do with your Ford/gun/etc ranting I have no idea. It isn't illegal to modify your console; it is illegal to play pirated software. In the States it is illegal to modify your console in any way that facilitates piracy - this is a very attractive position for Sony/MS/etc, but they are struggling to get other countries to take the same strict stand point.

But then I've explained that already. And if you have the developer's dash on an Xbox you do still need a chip as your hardware is different. I expect there will also be differences in the BIOS. However, get yourself sorted and you have an amazing emulation system, as well as the more dodgy reasons. Then again, it is a ridiculous amount of agro, still illegal (even if it is "retro" gaming), and if you really want to go down that route a PC and MAME (or similar) will sort you out fine for retro titles.
Wed 22/10/03 at 12:12
Regular
Edgy wrote:
After all, if it weren't the case, why would Sony shove a feature in their Minidisc hi-fi systems which allows you to copy CDs straight to Minidisc as well as taking the names of the tracks off the CD and placing them as the track names on the minidiscs also?

Someone also wrote:
SONY are one of the main companies involved in seeking to prosecute / sue… for the mass of copying that goes on… basically…

Therefore:
If I were making a product that was causing another part of my company to suffer then would it not be a good idea to stop?
They can’t of course because who would buy a product with limited uses when the technology would be implemented by a competitor? They would still lose out, but twice because they are not making the cash from the hardware sales & they are still being pirated too.

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT….
(getting back to the original topic)

Man has since the dawn of time sought to improve things, modifying things to work better, invention and that kinda of stuff.

Why Then is it frowned upon to modify consoles but not PC's?
No one gripes when you install a DVD burner... That with the right software enables copying of films etc.

Stick a chip (not fried or ovenBaked though) in an xbox or PS2 though? OOOOOH NOOOOO not ALLOWED (Legaly...)
Why? Disables copy protection? So?
Turns out that people are responsible for how they use things and no one else.
Like you say, FORD aren’t to blame if you speed and mow down a kid...
Smith & wesson aren’t to blame if you use a product they made in the wrong way? end up with a hole in something? nope...
(But they are to blame if a persistent fault is causing accidents.!!)

Let us modify things and take responsibility for how we use them!!

Who know how to upgrade the xbox hard drive? Where can I get the developers dashboard?
Why would it have to be chipped anyway? Surely the developer’s systems aren’t? Am I completely wrong about everything?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.