GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"chipped Xboxs?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/10/03 at 11:18
Regular
highly illigal, but no ones perfect eh?
Has anyone had the mod chip & 80 Gig Hardrive upgrade fitted yet?
apparently you can dump entire games to the drive for faster accsess!
I need more speed! and room for the music i've dumped to disk, only got 32000 Blocks left now! anyone know how much is too much? before it affects the games your playing? may have to buy another XBOX! probably down to a ton by Xmas anyhow
Thu 30/10/03 at 13:27
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> As it is, despite that, games are cheaper now than ever before...

Exactly, so what are you moaning at?!!

Let's just put things into context here for a moment. The music industry is taking a huge hit with piracy, much more than games, but I can go and buy a chart CD for less than £10 from my local supermarket. CDs have to be priced that way, otherwise even the legitimate public won't buy them. The value simply isn't there.

DVD movies are also getting hit hard with piracy, but again, for £15 or so I can pick up the latest releases. They are priced at a premium over VHS because they do offer a better picture quality (and uselsss extras), but people were not prepared to pay the £25 that some demanded (and still do).

Yes, volumes of sales have got a part to play, but games have ALWAYS been priced much higher than these forms of entertainment. The fact that games prices are slowly coming down means the prices can't have much to do with piracy, because that is on the increase.
Thu 30/10/03 at 13:18
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> If it is legal for people to have mod chips in consoles, why is it
> Special Reserve, Game, Gamestation and most other well respected
> retailers in the country wont touch them if they have any suspicion
> of being modified?
>
> Check!

They are large businesses with a lot to lose, and if they want to continue selling SONY hardware & software, they had better abide by SONYs rules. Whether they are truly illegal or not is irrelevant in this case.

Check!
Wed 29/10/03 at 21:20
Regular
If it is legal for people to have mod chips in consoles, why is it Special Reserve, Game, Gamestation and most other well respected retailers in the country wont touch them if they have any suspicion of being modified?

Check!
Wed 29/10/03 at 16:40
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Nomino wrote:
> Exactly. SONY can't do anything about the import market.

Sony's kick ass lawyers can though, and Nintendo has clamped down on Nintendo importers.

> Wrong. It's a well-known fact that something is worth what people
> will pay. British public will pay £35+ for a game, so that's
> what they charge.

I don't pay that for a game, it's a well known fact that software piracy keeps the prices high, not that people will always pay for a game no matter the price. As it is, despite that, games are cheaper now than ever before, but they'd be cheaper without the sh*ts who pirate stuff.
Wed 29/10/03 at 16:16
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Er, Sony cannot make it illegal to sell import games because the
> government and suchlike set the laws in England, not corporations.
> Neither is it Sony's duty to enforce the law, that's the job of
> others and I have no doubt that Sony are frustrated about the slow
> motion of the law.

Exactly. SONY can't do anything about the import market.

> Jim argued that he needed the bigger HD to stream games off of for
> faster access, this already occurs and I mentioned Halo to prove
> that. And it's not an MP3 player.

Like I said, what does it matter what Jim does? XBox can play MP3s, therefore it is (amongst other things) an MP3 player.

> Jim wants to justify illegal copying and modifications and you're a
> fool to think otherwise.

Like I said, what does it matter?

> No, it's piracy, generally the only people who argue it is not piracy
> are those who've pirated stuff themselves.

Wrong. It's a well-known fact that something is worth what people will pay. British public will pay £35+ for a game, so that's what they charge.
Wed 29/10/03 at 15:17
Regular
Nomino wrote:
> I can't really be bothered to get into the whole "legal/not
> legal" argument around the sale and ownership of mod chips. All
> I know is, there are numerous, well respected places where I can go
> and buy a mod chip, get it fitted, and buy an import game to play on
> my modded machine. If SONY really are so p*ssed off with sales of
> mod chips and people playing import games, they would shut down all
> places who sell them overnight, and make it illegal to even import
> games, let alone play them.

Er, Sony cannot make it illegal to sell import games because the government and suchlike set the laws in England, not corporations. Neither is it Sony's duty to enforce the law, that's the job of others and I have no doubt that Sony are frustrated about the slow motion of the law.

> As for your waffle on the XBox, yes it is an MP3 player. It is also
> a games machine; it's whatever you want to use it for. Also, I don't
> remember saying anything about XBox being a PC (despite all
> components being 100% PC-derived, even running on the Windows
> kernel), or asking how TF Halo remembers dead bad guys etc.

Jim argued that he needed the bigger HD to stream games off of for faster access, this already occurs and I mentioned Halo to prove that. And it's not an MP3 player.

> If Jim wants to fill his HD with MP3 music, what's wrong with that?
> Why are you so bothered and concerned about how others use their
> console? Get a life eh?

Jim wants to justify illegal copying and modifications and you're a fool to think otherwise.

> As for piracy pushing up the prices of games, I disagree. To a
> certain extent, maybe, but doesn't it occur to you that the main
> reason why games prices are high is because people like you put up
> with it and pay the price? Games prices have always been
> proportionally high, so the recent evolution of the mod chip has got
> nothing to do with it.

No, it's piracy, generally the only people who argue it is not piracy are those who've pirated stuff themselves.
Wed 29/10/03 at 14:06
Regular
Belldandy wrote:

> Jim, like most pirates who drive up the prices of games for everyone
> else, is trying to justify himself. If his HD is full he needs to
> clear it out because no one needs that much music stored on the
> console - it is a console not a MP3 player disguised as a paving
> slab, it is not a PC and many games already load sections to the HD
> to have faster access anyway - how TF do you think Halo remembers
> dead bad guys, and loads large levels so fast eh ?

I can't really be bothered to get into the whole "legal/not legal" argument around the sale and ownership of mod chips. All I know is, there are numerous, well respected places where I can go and buy a mod chip, get it fitted, and buy an import game to play on my modded machine. If SONY really are so p*ssed off with sales of mod chips and people playing import games, they would shut down all places who sell them overnight, and make it illegal to even import games, let alone play them.

As for your waffle on the XBox, yes it is an MP3 player. It is also a games machine; it's whatever you want to use it for. Also, I don't remember saying anything about XBox being a PC (despite all components being 100% PC-derived, even running on the Windows kernel), or asking how TF Halo remembers dead bad guys etc.

If Jim wants to fill his HD with MP3 music, what's wrong with that? Why are you so bothered and concerned about how others use their console? Get a life eh?

As for piracy pushing up the prices of games, I disagree. To a certain extent, maybe, but doesn't it occur to you that the main reason why games prices are high is because people like you put up with it and pay the price? Games prices have always been proportionally high, so the recent evolution of the mod chip has got nothing to do with it.
Wed 29/10/03 at 00:30
Regular
"Remember me?"
L
to the
M
to the
F
to the
A
to the
O
to the
MAX!
Wed 29/10/03 at 00:27
Regular
B
to the
O
to the
O
to the
S
to the
H
to the
MAX!
Tue 28/10/03 at 22:15
Regular
Nomino wrote:
> Prove it.

Actually Edgy doesn't need to prove it because a recent court ruling in favour of Sony UK ruled that:

1)Mod Chips were illegal for all uses, sale is illegal, ownership is illegal.

2)Using Mod Chips for imports is not a legitimate reason because import games are licensed solely for use in their designated territory and hardware, hence whilst someone could legitimately buy one to play on a console bought from that region, say a Jap Xbox running a Jap game, they could not do so for a UK Xbox to run a Jap game, because the game is not licensed to run in the UK.

Jim, like most pirates who drive up the prices of games for everyone else, is trying to justify himself. If his HD is full he needs to clear it out because no one needs that much music stored on the console - it is a console not a MP3 player disguised as a paving slab, it is not a PC and many games already load sections to the HD to have faster access anyway - how TF do you think Halo remembers dead bad guys, and loads large levels so fast eh ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.