GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Fantasy XIII Discussion Thread"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Final Fantasy XIII'.
Wed 10/03/10 at 13:52
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Big name, big game and big fan following...it's bound to be a game widely discussed!

As we seem to have a thread for most of the big games, I thought we may as well have one for this behemoth of a game - so if you have any ideas, favourite ways to play the game or just want to pass comment on what already appears to be a fantastic and absorbing game - please post here.

If you want to discuss the plot or other aspects of the storyline - remember to use the
Show Spoiler
tags to hide it from people who want to play the game without ruining it for themselves.

first off...I'm liking the combat system now - no definite turn based combat? Action seems to be constant even though you have to select your moves. Brilliant?
Page:
Tue 20/09/11 at 09:54
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Insulting Final Fantasy on a forums where I have even an ounce of control!? BAN HAMMER.....................

But joking aside, I hear a lot of the "it's linear" and "rubbish storyline" stuff. It's a valid point yes, but not really that big of an issue for me suprisingly (despite it being a FF mandate that the story is awesome).

The storyline wasn't terrible (keeping up with it via the text was ok but not needed IMO..... some people just didn't sync with it I guess :S). Scratchy and testing in some parts but still strong enough to carry me through (ish).

The battles are actually what kept me in to the game. I always hear people saying it's just an X fest. Of course it is early on, but the larger battles (as the ATB bar increases) take tactics and skill to execute. Turning the wait off also adds timing and precision in to the skill factor.

The fact that most people didn't seem to get was the battles were fundementally different than other games. It wasn't about what moves you used, it was more about the reactions to enemy tactics (re. P Shifts). It was more tactical then standard fighting.

Love it or hate it I guess. I just played through a 2nd time, and found I actually enjoyed it still.

Lack of sidequests and brutal achievements (time consuming) keep me away from it a 3rd time tho, which is something odd as I've 100%'d every FF at least 3 times (exception of FFX-2, and 1-3 which I've done twice)
Sun 18/09/11 at 02:39
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I'm not really convinced its the game they intended. I think it got refactored half way through. There are some areas early in the game which look suspiciously like hubs. And maybe thats why theres so much of the story in text as well.
Sun 18/09/11 at 00:46
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I'm about 4 or 5 hours in now and frankly, this is the worst Final Fantasy game I've played (bear in mind that I never played X-2). All the graphics in the world can't save it from being deadly dull.
The most damning fact being that if you don't follow the story in text form (using the diary popup) then you wouldn't have a sodding clue what's going on. For a Final Fantasy game, a series that is reliant on story, that emphasises what a complete failure the script is.

Characters I don't give a damn about

Faceless villains who by that very fact become more likeable than the main cast

An utterly dreadful game mechanic that's so quick that not even an ADHD child on a sugar rush could keep up.

Only getting to control 1 character

And finally, the totally stolen from X but even more dumbed down Grid system

I weep at what's become of a once great series.
Sun 11/09/11 at 20:07
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
A game can be linear and still afford you freedom in other ways though.

I suppose in the end, it was the story and characters that killed it for me. I'll forgive alot if the story is engaging and I want to see what happens next.
Sun 11/09/11 at 18:52
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Garin wrote:
I started, lost interest about half way through. Never has an RPG been so lacking in freedom.

Surely can't be any more linear than X
Sun 11/09/11 at 17:11
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I started, lost interest about half way through. Never has an RPG been so lacking in freedom.
Sun 11/09/11 at 16:50
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Only bought this last week and really haven't had too much time to play it yet but I'm surprised to find myself enjoying it. Graphically the cut-scenes are astonishing but I was really irritated at them being shown during the intro, it ruins that wow factor that you should be looking forward to in these games.
Certainly at the beginning there seems to be a very clear FF VII influence, starting on a train and launching right into the action but the game itself just seems to be repeatedly hitting X to attack at the moment and I don't know what the hell is going on regarding the story. Just seems to be some kind of holocaust metaphor.
Tue 12/10/10 at 19:02
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
on chapter 10 now, havent had much time to play but really enjoying this incarnation! how many chapters are there?

spent a day getting my a**e kicked by the bloke at the end of 9, ouch! came incredibly close a couple of times only to be doomed ha ha
Mon 11/10/10 at 17:28
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Nin wrote:
I get to be one of the cool kids? Well it's about sodding time

* Puts on leather jacket and shades *

Ayyy
Mon 11/10/10 at 17:14
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Butch wrote:
HM has a 360, not a PS3 like the cool kids.

I get to be one of the cool kids? Well it's about sodding time

* Puts on leather jacket and shades *
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.