GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Far Cry.... exquisemwa?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Far Cry'.
Wed 21/01/04 at 17:12
Regular
It seems I have been living under a rock for the past few years when it comes to PC gaming however I have seen this name pop up here and there as a possible Halo beater. They have just released a 465mb demo of it however I don't want to spoil the game by running it on my GeForce FX 5200 so I will wait until Friday when my Radeon 9800 XT arrives.

Between now and then I would appreciate someone filling me in on the stuff IGN haven't previewed. Does the game have ragdoll physics etc etc...

Any information would be apprciated.

Merci!
Thu 22/01/04 at 15:31
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Silent-Scope wrote:
> True but if it looks good and plays crap! then what are you to do o_O

But it doesn't. It looks beautiful and plays brilliantly, it's a win/win game.
Thu 22/01/04 at 15:20
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Ditto cipro, just had a quick 5 minute go on the demo, and will be pre-ordering this one asap.

From the screenshots, the game looks quite nice, but once you actually have the game running on your machine...oh my god...

My 9800 pro has the game running with all the options cranked up and not a hit of slowdown, and oh how this game is so damn beautiful. The water...the lighting...the environments...the ragdoll physics...

As I said, only had a 5 minute stab...gonna treat myself to a thorough testing later, once I've got all my work done, but from I've seen so far, this game just oozes quality. Enemy AI is also really impressive.

Haven't been this excited about a game for ages! :o
Thu 22/01/04 at 15:15
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
ßulle††™ wrote:
> Hope so, it just seems that ATI is the way to go at the moment, what
> with Half Life 2 and Doom 3 being optimised for it.

Actually the games have had more optimisation for the GeForce FX cards than the ATI cards. This is because Nvidia use 32Bit while the standard for Direct X 9 is 24Bit. Games need to be optimized for the FX cards to run them at the proper 24Bit mode.
Thu 22/01/04 at 14:45
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Excellent stuff, even better once I bother to install the new drivers.
Thu 22/01/04 at 14:07
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Silent-Scope wrote:
> graphics are the least you should worry about...
>
> Well, you should worry about it. I want to know if this game will run
> on my computer setup.

True but if it looks good and plays crap! then what are you to do o_O
Thu 22/01/04 at 14:06
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Downloaded it, played it, and pre-ordering it right now. Fantastic demo, it gives you shooting, stealth and vehicles to control and what's more it allows you to complete the task at hand how ever you want.

The graphics are amazing with some great animations and lighting effects, the AI too is impressive, maybe not as much as is being hyped though hopefully the final version will fix this. I like how enemies call for reinforcements rather than every soldier in the game suddenly knowing where you are, there's even a bit where they call in a helicopter if they spot, sending troops abseiling down to your position.

I haven't liked a demo as much as this since Call of Duty, and that game was great. Far Cry is my next, definite purchase for sure.
Thu 22/01/04 at 13:45
Regular
I'll probs wait for it to come out on a cover disk, having a 150k connection is a burden for just downloading demos.
Thu 22/01/04 at 13:37
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Well, you should worry about it. I want to know if this game will run
> on my computer setup.

The demo is out on gamespot, fileplanet and computerandvideogames.
Thu 22/01/04 at 13:24
Regular
Silent-Scope wrote:
> graphics are the least you should worry about...

Well, you should worry about it. I want to know if this game will run on my computer setup.
Thu 22/01/04 at 13:13
Regular
graphics are the least you should worry about...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.