GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Far Cry.... exquisemwa?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Far Cry'.
Wed 21/01/04 at 17:12
Regular
It seems I have been living under a rock for the past few years when it comes to PC gaming however I have seen this name pop up here and there as a possible Halo beater. They have just released a 465mb demo of it however I don't want to spoil the game by running it on my GeForce FX 5200 so I will wait until Friday when my Radeon 9800 XT arrives.

Between now and then I would appreciate someone filling me in on the stuff IGN haven't previewed. Does the game have ragdoll physics etc etc...

Any information would be apprciated.

Merci!
Fri 23/01/04 at 09:25
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
It does seem rather difficult. Having played it a bit more it doesn't have that Halo beating feel to it. Sure, pretty graphics but that is about it. I'll still get it but it doesn't beat Halo in my opinion.

Not as bad as Breed though, that game had so much promise.
Thu 22/01/04 at 22:03
Regular
I am hoping my system will be able to run everything on very high settings for all the top games whilst still maintaining a decent frame rate.
Thu 22/01/04 at 21:39
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> With the new card, probably yes, with my current card, not a bloody
> chance. Although I am thinking of going for a new CPU, possibly a
> duel processor.

Sod that, go for an Athlon 64.

And yes, the game will run perfectly with no problems on your setup. Especially with that graphics card and the 1gig of Ram.
Thu 22/01/04 at 20:38
Regular
With the new card, probably yes, with my current card, not a bloody chance. Although I am thinking of going for a new CPU, possibly a duel processor.
Thu 22/01/04 at 20:11
Well, using your coomon sense, do you think it can?
Thu 22/01/04 at 19:15
Regular
My graphics card was dispatched today but I couldn't resist giving it a bash so I turned all the setting to low and ran the demo at a solid frame rate.

Demo seems pretty good, a little disappointed with the ragdoll physics and your health depletes quite a lot, even after one bullet. Its feels like the game Soldier of Fortune should have been, a cross between Halo and Soldier of Fortune with visuals to make both look weak. I will play it properly with top wack settings hopefully tomorrow when my card arrives.

Will this system handle to wack do you think?!

Windows 2000 PRO
Athalon 2600 XP + (running at 2.1GHZ)
1GB (PC 2700) RAM
Radeon 9800 XT 256MB
Dirtect X 9.0b
MSI 5.1 Audio channel
Thu 22/01/04 at 19:05
Regular
"gsybe you!"
As long as it's not as horrendously depressing as the diabolicly bad Breed demo, it'll be fine.
Thu 22/01/04 at 16:39
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Just waiting for the download to finish...

Then just hope that my PC can cope with it. :0)
Thu 22/01/04 at 16:37
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Silent-Scope wrote:
> I know was just saying that it looks good but what if it doesn't play
> as well as it looks.

Indeed, but unlike Deus Ex 2 which kind of looked all right and played absolutely crap, Far Cry does play as good as it looks, trust me.

I just completed the demo, pure excellence. You get surrounded by a couple of Blackhawks and a boat at shore shelling you with mortar rounds. You do have a rocket launcher and while you can't shoot the copters down, you can blast the gunners clear our. Then it's just a race against time to destroy the facility and get out before reinforcements come along with a nice action movie style chase at the end where you have to out run an explosion.

If this is just on level of the game I can't wait to see what else lies in store in the full version.
Thu 22/01/04 at 16:00
Regular
I know was just saying that it looks good but what if it doesn't play as well as it looks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.