GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Far Cry.... exquisemwa?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Far Cry'.
Wed 21/01/04 at 17:12
Regular
It seems I have been living under a rock for the past few years when it comes to PC gaming however I have seen this name pop up here and there as a possible Halo beater. They have just released a 465mb demo of it however I don't want to spoil the game by running it on my GeForce FX 5200 so I will wait until Friday when my Radeon 9800 XT arrives.

Between now and then I would appreciate someone filling me in on the stuff IGN haven't previewed. Does the game have ragdoll physics etc etc...

Any information would be apprciated.

Merci!
Sun 01/02/04 at 20:02
Regular
"Touched!"
hey ali, whats ya msn addy for hotmail want a word about something, do you know mine? if so add me
Sun 01/02/04 at 19:43
Regular
It feels like a cross between Project IGI and Halo. Loving the demo more now I have had a better chance to play it. Providing they sort the dodgy frame rate out it will be a definite purchase.
Sun 01/02/04 at 17:08
Finally completed the demo, not your average run of the mill FPS. For starters, you had to think! (as opposed to just blasting your way through).

AI patterns so good, though occasionally erratic when guards can see me from far away, but at other times not notice when I'm a few metres away.
Fri 23/01/04 at 17:37
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
It is only a beta demo, still plenty of time to fine tweak the game.

Noticed the AI as being great at times with guys hiding and trying to flank you when there are a few of them but then at other times running on the spot or jumping back and forwards to the same spot over and over but its quite rare.

Will be interesting to see the other vehicles that will be used and how the story of it all fits in. Is shaping up to be one to get though.
Fri 23/01/04 at 16:42
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
cipro wrote:
> I'm the opposite. Halo for me was fun, but forgettable. It was spoiled
> by some atrocious level design in areas, repetitive action and had
> nothing at all for me to go back for once I'd completed it. Without
> the vehicles and fun multiplayer I doubt I would have found Halo
> anyhthing more than slightly above average.
>
> I can say Far Cry is better than Halo because for me, I found the one
> level demo more entertaining than most of Halo's levels. Pity I have
> to wait until March to play the full version.

Ditto ditto ditto all day long...
Fri 23/01/04 at 15:39
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm the opposite. Halo for me was fun, but forgettable. It was spoiled by some atrocious level design in areas, repetitive action and had nothing at all for me to go back for once I'd completed it. Without the vehicles and fun multiplayer I doubt I would have found Halo anyhthing more than slightly above average.

I can say Far Cry is better than Halo because for me, I found the one level demo more entertaining than most of Halo's levels. Pity I have to wait until March to play the full version.
Fri 23/01/04 at 14:29
Regular
I feel the same from what I have played. Very nice visuals the the gameplay really isn't all that engaging and the shooting seems as though it was an after thought. I will have to play it more to make a final decision but from what I have played so far it definitley isn't on the level of Halo for me.
Fri 23/01/04 at 13:58
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
gamezfreak wrote:
> How can you determine if its better/worse then Halo from one demo?

Basically from how engaging it is.

Halo - great cut scene to explain the plot to begin with, quick familiarisation of the controls, an unarmed charge to the control room amidst a mass of firefights, another quick cutscene explaining your objective (escape) then fight your way through to the lifepods alongside marines to escape the ship and reach Halo.

Far Cry - I'm a guy in crappy boat on a blue sea. I'll kill these guys at this little outpost because, well I can, and then do in the base. Why? Erm... Cool graphics though.

I'm sure many here know what I mean when I say that some games you know instantly as soon as you play that they are great. Halo, for me, was one of those. Sure, some games do grow on you over time because of their depth, but I don't see a great deal of depth evident in Far Cry. I'll get it when it is reduced (which is pretty fast for most FPS games).
Fri 23/01/04 at 12:24
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Very impressive in terms of visuals and draw distance. PC handled it ok but I guess with a better set up it would have been better.

Definately one to watch when its released.
Fri 23/01/04 at 12:16
Regular
How can you determine if its better/worse then Halo from one demo?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.