GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Crushed" How the DS will decide Nintendo's fate."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/02/04 at 00:40
Regular
It is very rare for Nintendo to ever admit they're in the S**t but looks like they have done. Speaking to various Japanese publications Iwati of Nintendo fame confirmed that they are struggling to read the "Japanese Market".

It appears Nintendo maybe thrashing Microsoft but they are still suffering badly and the brave attempt to save themselves stems from Iwati's belief that "Consumers don't want flash graphics and better machines". So Enter the DS, Nintendo's big hope, success will mean a saved Nintendo....

"If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."

Ah. Naturally with the continuing massacre on peoples wallets by the Pokemon franchise there is little to fear in the bankcrupcy department.

But it looks like the DS is more important than we though.

For the love of God say you are right Nintendo... please be right.
Sun 22/02/04 at 18:21
Regular
Belldandy, with regards to your argument of other markets - other companies have tried many other handhelds in Japan going after various target audiences and very few of those were even released in the UK.

Comprende?
Sun 22/02/04 at 13:18
Regular
So £199.99 it is then.

I don't think sitting in a classroom playing Video Games on a handheld console can hardly be the coolest thing ever.
Sat 21/02/04 at 17:59
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Tphi - Sony's European guy recently stated on record that PSP will be under £200 for definite in the UK and the euivalent in Europe.
Sat 21/02/04 at 17:58
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
I can't think of any kind of gaming more casual than gaming on the move! Look how popular the dire Nokia first generation mobile phone games were? Yet people of all ages wanted the phones with games on - which is why most phones and not just Nokia's now include games.
Sat 21/02/04 at 17:35
Regular
Well in that essence it may damage Nintendo sales... unless of course it attracts people previously uninterested in handheld gaming.

Sony have got a lot of work ahead if they wish to topple the Gameboy empire.
Sat 21/02/04 at 17:33
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Edgy wrote:
> And chances are the DS isn't going to be cheap either.

Actually it's currently slated for a price of about £110ish. Compared to - heh heh heh - £250+ for the PSP. :)

I shall keep out of the little argument, but I have to say that of course the PSP will take away sales from Nintendo.
If you have someone who likes the idea of having a portable device which not only plays games but other media too, but only wants to get one console, they'll choose the PSP. Now if the PSP hadn't been there, that guy might have settled for one of Nintendo's handhelds. Therefore of course Sony are going to make Nintendo lose sales.
Sat 21/02/04 at 15:36
Regular
But if they want to beat Nintendo in the handheld world they do...

There are more Gameboy players than PS2 players...

But there are more PS2 players than Gamecube...

I'm going to start clutching at straws in a moment at all but if you want to play games on the move you will hardly be a "casual gamer".
Sat 21/02/04 at 15:32
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
For the (I've lost count now) time, Sony don't NEED to steal people from Nintendo.
Sat 21/02/04 at 13:10
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> As opposed to some sad tw*t who goes ga ga over every Nintendo press
> release and treats it like the holy grail.

Nintendo press releases are pure hilarity of bollocksness/

> Hell, Nintendo could announce today "we're joining
> Microsoft" and you'd be right here telling everyone how it was
> all for the best. You have knowledge of nintendo but an obvious lack
> of knowledge about the reality of how videogames sell at retail.
> Which I suppose is fitting as Nintendo seems to suffer from that
> also.

Well you've hit the nail on the head there. As me and er-no want Nintendo and Microsoft to combine more than anything. But as for the DS... Nintendo are the king of crazes... Mario was a massive craze, as was the Gameboy and as was Pokemon.... Nintendo are merely trying to do it again.

> You really don't get it do you? It doesn't take much knowledge of
> videogaming to see what is going to happen to the DS when it comes
> against the PSP, you live in this stupid fairy world where the
> consumer sees the magic of Nintendo and buys their console. Well the
> rest of us live in the world where none games players are
> disillusioned with Nintendo and perceive the company as going down
> the drain, and where Sony rules.

Yes I live in my little fairy world. Ever since the DS has been announced I've been excited... it sounds brilliant. And forum user after forum user criticise me because I think the DS sounds good.

I moaned like crazy that Burnout 3 and Hitman 3 wasn't coming to the Cube. I criticised the idea of the Crystal Chronicles game. Doshin the Giant a Nintendo game is officially the worst game I have ever played. I am furious at the price of Nintendo related prephirals. Although I understood why I was extremley dissapointed by the lack of Animal Crossing in Europe. In fact I am not ashamed to say that I prefered the Dreamcast to the Gamecube.

And I'm still this die hard Nintendo fan? Yes I am, I won't deny it, I am a Ninty... but for someone who is looking forward to getting his X-box and loved the Dreamcast more than the Gamecube I'm not nearly as "die-hard" as you think I am.

I'm not living in a fairy tale world where Sony are in fact some monster than can seemingly... despite launching a handheld system at a high price, despite launching it along side a Nintendo handheld, despite entering a market Nintendo have a far larger monopoly over than last time and despite having apparently low batterly life... can carve a massive niche for themselves.

This isn't the home console market it IS NOT THE SAME. And when I say they won't compete with eachother I'm referring to mind sets.

The Nintendo DS is an original new gaming machine that offers a lot of new technology.

The PSP is a handheld system that can do an AWFUL lot, play games and music being the main 2.

No one sits down and thinks "What handhelds am I going to get?", they don't. They will either see the DS and go "Ohhh that seems pretty smart and clever I think I'll get that" or they'll look at the PSP and go "Games and music on the move, nice idea think I'll snap that up".

These are 2 different people... 2 different markets.

In reality though they'll all go "Think I'll stick with the GBA"... Sony have got to do so much to take people away from their precious Gameboy. And the DS, if it becomes some sorta craze, could potentially be a major obstacle for Sony.

It really isn't as clear cut as Sony coming along and killing Nintendo. It really is not. Sony can not do this in a year.
Sat 21/02/04 at 12:56
Regular
If it is just Kids and Nintendo gamers then Belldandy why the hell is it the biggest selling handheld?

Loads of casual gamers have Gameboys... hundreds upon millions.

The PSP will NOT do what the PS1 did because Sony don't get the handheld market... they can't pull it off... it is a different war ground.

Any idiot that knew half of how well the GBA does... how big the Gameboy franchise actually is... will know that the PSP will have its job cut out to merley survive in the Nintendo populated universe let alone destroy it.

The PSP would attract older gamers... just like the SP does....

Did no one pay attention to those massive numbers of adult SP owners at the end of the year? Nintendo truly attracted these gamers with their new system.

Sony will not get close to the mass of the Gameboy...

And you will see.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.