GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Crushed" How the DS will decide Nintendo's fate."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/02/04 at 00:40
Regular
It is very rare for Nintendo to ever admit they're in the S**t but looks like they have done. Speaking to various Japanese publications Iwati of Nintendo fame confirmed that they are struggling to read the "Japanese Market".

It appears Nintendo maybe thrashing Microsoft but they are still suffering badly and the brave attempt to save themselves stems from Iwati's belief that "Consumers don't want flash graphics and better machines". So Enter the DS, Nintendo's big hope, success will mean a saved Nintendo....

"If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."

Ah. Naturally with the continuing massacre on peoples wallets by the Pokemon franchise there is little to fear in the bankcrupcy department.

But it looks like the DS is more important than we though.

For the love of God say you are right Nintendo... please be right.
Sat 21/02/04 at 10:02
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Let me put this in simple terms.

Nintendo has control of the current handheld market - the kids and the Nintendo fans.

Sony wants in to this market.

Sony is not going after Nintendo's users.

Sony is going to carve their own market out as they did with the Playstation.

Comprende?
Sat 21/02/04 at 09:02
Regular
Belldandy - I think you'll find Nintendo have been rather successful in the handheld market so far.

I reckon that this Christmas, the Game Boy Advance SP is still going to be the best selling handheld.

Why?

Because it is what the kids want.

Parents aren't going to want to spend a heck of a lot more on a handheld by Sony which looks and will be expensive.

And chances are the DS isn't going to be cheap either.

So they'll stick with the SP this Christmas.

If the store I used to work in had the original Game Boy Advances, we would have probably sold more of them than the SP versions too - parents wanted the cheaper alternative.

As for knowing the way the market actually works - I think you'd be suprised about how much Dringo actually knows.
Sat 21/02/04 at 08:46
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Dringo wrote:
> You, some crappy forum user, know far more than the well paid, highly
> educated bussiness men of Sony and Nintendo.

As opposed to some sad tw*t who goes ga ga over every Nintendo press release and treats it like the holy grail.

Hell, Nintendo could announce today "we're joining Microsoft" and you'd be right here telling everyone how it was all for the best. You have knowledge of nintendo but an obvious lack of knowledge about the reality of how videogames sell at retail. Which I suppose is fitting as Nintendo seems to suffer from that also.

You really don't get it do you? It doesn't take much knowledge of videogaming to see what is going to happen to the DS when it comes against the PSP, you live in this stupid fairy world where the consumer sees the magic of Nintendo and buys their console. Well the rest of us live in the world where none games players are disillusioned with Nintendo and perceive the company as going down the drain, and where Sony rules.
Sat 21/02/04 at 02:01
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> tphi wrote:
> The DS is being released about the same time as the PSP, no?
>
> You need to remember Dringo lives in a different reality to the
> majority of gamers. Once you know that, it all makes perfect sense.

Sod off you gimp.

The DS works totally differently to the other handhelds we've seen... you have not seen the DS... do not know how it'll work. From what I hear it is a totally original concept with new ideas.

The PSP's main rival is the Gameboy.

The DS is being heralded as a third pillar... not a continuation or side project to the Gameboy and is being marketed as such.

Thusly its success will depend on whether it can attract the hardcore gamer early on and hook the casual gamers later.

Actually think about it this way... those who cannot afford a PSP at launch which will be a lot of people will see the cheaper alternative, the totally different looking DS and opt for that instead. It could easily work as a positive thing.

I'm sorry Belldandy but I seem to be the only person who listens to Nintendo and Sony... I mean they are only multi-million/billion co-orperations when they BOTH say these 2 products won't really conflict with eachother I'm sure they are making it up...

You, some crappy forum user, know far more than the well paid, highly educated bussiness men of Sony and Nintendo.
Thu 19/02/04 at 22:53
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Belldandy wrote:
> Back to reality....most people will buy one handheld in the same way
> that most will buy one console. The DS and PSP are in competition
> because of that simple fact.

Exactly, and will people buy one that plays games, or one that plays games and other media?
Thu 19/02/04 at 10:47
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
The new Edge magazine, out today, has an interesting couple of pages on the DS as well as an opinion colum from that "Redeye" chap, who I think sums it up pretty well.
Wed 18/02/04 at 18:45
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
tphi wrote:
> The DS is being released about the same time as the PSP, no?

You need to remember Dringo lives in a different reality to the majority of gamers. Once you know that, it all makes perfect sense.

Back to reality....most people will buy one handheld in the same way that most will buy one console. The DS and PSP are in competition because of that simple fact.
Wed 18/02/04 at 18:36
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> The DS has no real competiton... if it fails it'll have nothing to do
> with Sony.

The DS is being released about the same time as the PSP, no?
Wed 18/02/04 at 18:34
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Another article about Nintendo is calling the success of the DS cruicial to Nintendo's future. Can Nintendo really be taking such a risk - are they going to become an architect of their own demise..? They are already, to a point. I don't think Nintendo would be doing this unless they had a good idea this WILL WORK. I mean, they were quick enough to refute the crap about them delaying the N5, so they've still got some sense..

I have come to the conclusion Ninty definately have something up their sleeves with the DS. Although it better be good to go up against this: theregister.co.uk/content/68/33790.html
Wed 18/02/04 at 10:59
Regular
The DS has no real competiton... if it fails it'll have nothing to do with Sony.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.