GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Crushed" How the DS will decide Nintendo's fate."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/02/04 at 00:40
Regular
It is very rare for Nintendo to ever admit they're in the S**t but looks like they have done. Speaking to various Japanese publications Iwati of Nintendo fame confirmed that they are struggling to read the "Japanese Market".

It appears Nintendo maybe thrashing Microsoft but they are still suffering badly and the brave attempt to save themselves stems from Iwati's belief that "Consumers don't want flash graphics and better machines". So Enter the DS, Nintendo's big hope, success will mean a saved Nintendo....

"If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."

Ah. Naturally with the continuing massacre on peoples wallets by the Pokemon franchise there is little to fear in the bankcrupcy department.

But it looks like the DS is more important than we though.

For the love of God say you are right Nintendo... please be right.
Thu 26/02/04 at 10:57
Regular
I still think portability is a factor... it means you can take it on holiday to use rather than lugging a console, controller and wires around or to various other locations like visiting a granny.#

But if you are over the age of 16 how many people sit around at grannys house getting bored? That's right parents don't whip out a Gameboy... and the same applies to holidays... I'd be shopping or down the pub... not playing a Gameboy or PSP.
Thu 26/02/04 at 10:47
Regular
"uncopyable"
So everyone seems to play there GBA SP at home. And I assume this will also be the case for the PSP.

So bearing this in mind, do you lot think Sony will be able to convince the mainstream casual gamer, who I can only assume will also be primarily playing the PSP at home, that they need a PSP, in addition to the PS2 (or Xbox) they already have in their home?

Would a casual gamer actually spend £150 to play PS1 games on a PSP at home, when they have a nice PS2 sitting in the living room?

Yes, I know hardcore gamers like us will do this, but do you think the mainstream will be that interested? You guys are all saying that you (and most of the people you know) use their handhelds at home, so when you take away the portability factor, isn't a casual gamer just going to buy a new game to play on their PS2 or Xbox and say sod the PSP.
Wed 25/02/04 at 22:21
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> I scarily play my GBA SP mostly at home... and in the future on
> holiday when I cannot bring my home console.

Exactly the same for me.
Wed 25/02/04 at 17:06
Regular
My sister owns a Gameboy Advance and she rarely carries it anywhere. She only plays it at home.
Wed 25/02/04 at 17:04
Regular
I scarily play my GBA SP mostly at home... and in the future on holiday when I cannot bring my home console.
Wed 25/02/04 at 16:55
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
The reason you don't see commuters with handheld games may be different than you think... I tried playing Link's Awakening on the bus and gave up because the bus was jerking about too much. I only play my GBA on the sh!tter or in waiting rooms.
Wed 25/02/04 at 15:47
Regular
"uncopyable"
Darwock wrote:
> Regarding Safediscs points, I dunno... a lot of people bought iPods
> for ridiculous amounts of money when there are a lot of much cheaper
> portable mp3 players available.

That is a fair point. Although I would have to say, the kind of people who buy iPods are not the type of people who are gonna’ want to play games on (and buy) a PSP, or a GBA for that matter. I see loads of people with iPods on the Tube and most are your kinda’ of businessmen type - lots of cash to dispose of, and for this type of person the iPod is perfect. It's widely acknowledged as the best MP3 player on the market, if you have the cash, and also has a huge amount of storage space – plus of course, it’s got that ‘cool’ rep. These businessmen type just want what’s 'cool' and the iPod is certainly that. I just can't see some guy in a pin stripe suit heading home from a hard day at the office and sitting on the Tube playing a PSP - it's just something that isn’t gonna’ happen.

all the gadget-loving business crowds will lap it up.
> Portable movies, woooh!

Yes, I guess a gadget-lover would lap it up - but the reality of the matter is that a PSP isn't gonna’ be an iPod kinda gadget that you can keep in your inside pocket, and just listen to. You have physically gotta’ sit there and play it, and as I said in a previous post in this thread, people who are not hardcore gamers just don't do this. Personally I think that should, but they don't. And I don't see the PSP changing this - even if it's got the Sony logo on it.

As I say, this is just my opinion based on my journey into work on the train and tube each day. But I would say that London has more commuters (hence lots of time to play games) with lots of money to spend (hence they can afford to buy handheld systems) than any other part of the UK, and as I say, none of them play games – you don’t even see people playing games on their mobile phones anymore – and don’t even mention the n-Gage!

Bottom line is that the mainstream just isn’t into games as much as we are. And as such, playing a handheld machine just doesn’t appeal to them. It’s easy to forget, but if you are online chatting about video games, you are a hardcore gamer.

The guy I sit next to at work can’t believe how much time I spend reading game reviews, reading message boards and even more that I have a games console to play on the tube (my GBA SP). It all amounts to, as he puts it ‘being a gaming nerd’! Although guess what, he has a PS2 at home which he plays Pro Evo 3 on. He is main stream, we are not.
Wed 25/02/04 at 14:29
Regular
Fair enough...

Granted as I have so many gadgets in my pockets the PSP can be appealing... but remember it is being marketed as a handheld system.
Wed 25/02/04 at 12:30
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I said airport, not airplane. Anyway I was able to use my GBA on roughly 1 out of 4 flights, it depends how stupid the flightcrew are.
Wed 25/02/04 at 12:16
Regular
Even though you're not allowed to use them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.