GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"N64"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/02/04 at 18:53
Regular
"SOUP!"
I recently dug out the N64 that my best mate and I used to play on religiously for about 4 years. The same copy of Goldeneye and Fifa 99, and it is still just a much fun as it was back then.

Goldeneye is still THE DADDY of first person shooters, and Fifa 99 is as good as Pro Evo 3 for its playability (not graphics though). WWF No Mercy is still the best wrestling game out there, no contest, the smackdown titles dont even come close to its prowess.

I still like my PS2 but the N64 is just, well, more fun!
Sun 22/02/04 at 19:23
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> Age has nothing to do with it. If I made a rubbish 3D platformer,
> does that in turn make it better than Mario 64 just because it's
> newer?

Age does have everything to do with it. They were great games, WERE being the key word. If you didn't know about those games and they were released exactly as they were back then you wouldn't look twice at them. They have all been bettered by one game or another and in one form or another. Peopel say there is no multiplayer like Perfect Dark, thats crap, try playing Rainbow Six 3 online, Call of Duty, Savage: Battle For Newerth etc. You can always invite your friends over to play stuff like Mario Kart: Double Dash and Halo offline.

Its got nothing to do with taste in games, I enjoyed them back then ut now they are unplayable. Wave Race, Zelda, Mario, Rogue Leader, Resident Evil etc all better their original or eariler version of the game. If they didn't then I and many others would be worried about the future of games. Innovation can only go so far, Goldeneye may have introduced some new and excellent ideas back then but games since then have taken those ideas and modded them further. You may not enjoy the newer games today as much as you enjoyed the old versions back then but that does not mean they haven't advanced.

Ever thought your taste in games might have actually changed? I think playing something like Banjo these days would ruin the game. I loved it back then but playing it now would be torture.
Sun 22/02/04 at 18:27
Regular
I more or less agree with Rickoss. He strikes me as having the best taste in games in this thread.
Sun 22/02/04 at 18:11
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Never owned teh 3rd one, though the first 2 seem tired and poor now...
Sun 22/02/04 at 17:55
Regular
And yes, Donkey Kong Country 3 is the greatest creation ever.
Sun 22/02/04 at 17:54
Regular
What I'm trying to say is, they are good. I've recently gone back to my N64 because I'm bored of my Cube and XBox games; despite the graphics (which actually aren't that bad by todays standards) I'm loving playing through Perfect Dark, a lot more than Halo. Even today it feels fresh, the brilliant controls, new ideas and innovative weaponry live on.

But Alastair was saying it as if they were bad because they're old, which is complete and utter crap. If I really wanted to play Halo, I would, instead I opt for Perfect Dark because it's a better game. Sure, 1080 and Wave Race aren't as good as the Cube versions, neither's Mario Kart, what I'm trying to say is that some N64 games are better than todays games.

Is that really so hard to grasp?
Sun 22/02/04 at 17:48
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> In comparison to what? A 5-6 year old FPS? I'm sorry but that is
> bull
> sh*t.
>
> Age has nothing to do with it. If I made a rubbish 3D platformer,
> does that in turn make it better than Mario 64 jus**t because it's
> newer?

But they're not rubbish games, that makes the difference.
At the time, tehy were great, but now, they're not.

I've tried palying Wave Race 64 and 1080 Snowboarding, tehy're nowhere near as good as they're counterparts, but, when you compare how good they were for time, compared to how good these were for their time, they beat them comparitively, if you know what I mean.
Sun 22/02/04 at 17:37
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> In comparison to what? A 5-6 year old FPS? I'm sorry but that is bull
> sh*t.

Age has nothing to do with it. If I made a rubbish 3D platformer, does that in turn make it better than Mario 64 jus**t because it's newer?
Sun 22/02/04 at 17:28
Regular
Oh, and all I can say about Perfect Dark:

Counteroperative mode, best mode in any game. Ever.
Sun 22/02/04 at 17:28
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Calling Banjo crap is VERY wrong... it is the best Western Platformer
> ever created...

There's not that many of them though.
And everything is worse than Donkey Kong Country 3
Best platformer/Adventure thingy ever.
Sun 22/02/04 at 16:57
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> From what I've played, in comparison it is.

In comparison to what? A 5-6 year old FPS? I'm sorry but that is bull sh*t.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.