GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"N64"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/02/04 at 18:53
Regular
"SOUP!"
I recently dug out the N64 that my best mate and I used to play on religiously for about 4 years. The same copy of Goldeneye and Fifa 99, and it is still just a much fun as it was back then.

Goldeneye is still THE DADDY of first person shooters, and Fifa 99 is as good as Pro Evo 3 for its playability (not graphics though). WWF No Mercy is still the best wrestling game out there, no contest, the smackdown titles dont even come close to its prowess.

I still like my PS2 but the N64 is just, well, more fun!
Sun 22/02/04 at 23:10
Regular
Oh let me see...

More sound channels leading to surround sound, improved visuals with massively improved frame rates, nearly all PAL releases now have a 60HZ refresh rate option, bigger and more interactive environments containing more NPC's to interact with when necessery, far superior AI, ragdoll physics, sharper control schemes now utilising full dual analog support, care for me to go on?

As for the Metal Gear remake, I loved the original at the time and with all the added functions of the new version it will kick ass. Oh and its not just graphical leaps, all the bouns elements found in Metal Gear Solid 2 will be there, first person view point, dog tag collector, bigger draw distances, imporved boss battles, pro logic 2 surround sound etc etc.

Don't be ignorant, if you actually care to think about it you will see how far games have come along wince the 64 which try go give gamers a bigger and more immersive gaming experience. Its not from a presentation point of view and not fully a technical point of view, its the little attention to details with far more character and environmental interaction that new games offer.
Sun 22/02/04 at 23:05
"I love yo... lamp."
I still love my N64. In fact, Goldeneye is still my favourite game ever. On any console.

But I would say that Halo is the better game. Other than the Library level, virtually everything about it is actually better than Goldeneye. The AI is better, the graphics are better, the sound is better, the multiplayer is on a par, the controls are... well set up just like Goldeneye basically now.

But the reason I don't love it more than Goldeneye is that Goldeneye had some sort of X factor. It had a magical quality that made me really enjoy it, and go back to it again and again and again (repeat to infinity). And Halo does have that X factor as well. Just not quite as much of it. But it is the better game.

That X factor is the reason I like OOT more than WW. WW has.. well not better graphics as I hate them, but sort of better. It has the presentation, just lacks the soul that made OOT so great. Sunshine was presented better than Banjo, but Banjo just had that X factor, it was more fun.

But it doesn't always work that way. F Zero GX is the best F Zero game, better than F Zero X ever was. Doesn't mean F Zero X is a bad game, just it isn't as fun as GX is.

Bottom line is: some games have it, some don't. In my book, Halo does have it. WW doesn't. And you can all argue as much as you want, but it doesn't change that.
Sun 22/02/04 at 23:04
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Rickoss wrote:
> If today's games are so much better than that of yesteryear, then why
> is MGS: TT your most wanted game?

Hope you wasn't talking to me, as I've payed no interes in the GS update - personally, I've never liked the game.
Sun 22/02/04 at 22:52
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Let's just say one 'prefers' to play PD and Goldeneye over Halo.
>
> Level design being a key factor..
>
> *cough*

Yup.

It's an old criticism, but Halo really does just have shockingly bad level design in too many places.

Goldeneye really gets one-up on it in that respect.
Sun 22/02/04 at 22:45
Regular
What's so different then, online play?

Sure, there have been innovations and the like, but games are games, all that have improved in the last generation are graphics, no huge jumps in gameplay like the 2D to 3D era.

If today's games are so much better than that of yesteryear, then why is MGS: TT your most wanted game?

In every respect other than updated physics, AI and graphics, Perfect Dark and Goldeneye beat Halo hands down.
Sun 22/02/04 at 22:41
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> The only difference between now and then is graphics.

Ha!
Sun 22/02/04 at 22:32
Regular
I had a good-nice-none-deletey copy of No Mercy. Ha!
Sun 22/02/04 at 20:11
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Let's just say one 'prefers' to play PD and Goldeneye over Halo.

Level design being a key factor..

*cough*
Sun 22/02/04 at 19:58
Regular
"tokyo police club"
That is a lie, and you know it. A lot has changed since then
Sun 22/02/04 at 19:48
Regular
They're obviously not unplayable, because like I've said I'm currently playing through Perfect Dark and find it much better than the lieks of XIII and Halo. Is that so hard to understand?

I yes, taste always changes, I used to hate RPGs and now I'm starting to like them, and I've also taken a shine to TPS', but some games will always be classic. A game equalling the brilliance of Banjo was released in the comign months people would enjoy it just as much as when Banjo was first released.

The only difference between now and then is graphics.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.