GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WINNER ANNOUNCED - Gameaday Prize for Best Idea for a Gameaday Prize Comp"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/01/07 at 17:11
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
COMPETITION CLOSED

AND THE WINNER IS:

AliBoy for his BINGO suggestion. I am hoping to trial this for a few weeks as soon as we have had a chance to program it. Each user will get a Bingo card in their MyFreeola profiles page, and the random numbers will be displayed on the forums through the week. I like this because it provides us with something to promote in one of the e-mail bulletins, and it might encourage people to visit the forums more regularly.

Well done AliBoy. This win should be on the winners list within the next week.

There were some other excellent suggestions, and I particularly liked pb's Find Something Free suggestion, and AliBoy's slant on a Talent Competition, where each user has only one entry of any kind (though there are the obvious alter-identity issues with this).

One of our £30 Gameaday Prizes will go to the winner of this competition.

Your task is to suggest the best idea for a Gameaday Competition to be held on the chat forums at some time in the future. If the winning idea is worthy enough, then we will promote it in the next issue of our fabulous Freeola News Bulletin, to attract competitive types to the forums.

You have two weeks to come up with your idea. The closing date is Midnight on February 7th.

Your idea must work within the normal framework of the chat forums and you should explain it fully and in good English.

ABSOLUTELY NO edited posts will be considered and if the same idea is suggested several times it will be the first one which counts.

Enter this competition at any time between now and Feb 7th, simply by posting your idea on this thread, perhaps starting with the phrase "My incredible idea is..."

You can enter as many times as you want but we reserve the right to delete the entire works of competition spammers.

Extra brownies will go to anybody who's idea seems likely to produce something useful, or would encourage a high level of interest.

Nope - we will not run a Cutest Forum User's Baby Competition.
Thu 01/02/07 at 15:35
Regular
"pilko182.piczo.com"
why not start an annual film festival, hold a competition every year challenging people to create their own movies and then showcase them on the website
Wed 31/01/07 at 21:22
Regular
""none""
How about a kind of graphics contest every month. Every month Freeola chooses something to make a mok-up of. For example a Freeola Magazine, t-shirt, game (box art of a game), poster and advertisement. These are only rough ideas, it has a lot of potential.
Wed 31/01/07 at 21:20
Regular
"I may return"
I know... Just wanted to post something

And I'm a dudette :P
Wed 31/01/07 at 21:18
Regular
""none""
Sunflower wrote:
> The top poster (who ever is at the top for the most of the week)
> gets a GAD but this only happens once a week...

C'mon dude, then we'll just have a big spam fest on our hands...
Wed 31/01/07 at 15:50
Regular
"I may return"
The top poster (who ever is at the top for the most of the week) gets a GAD but this only happens once a week...
Wed 31/01/07 at 12:51
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Play Bingo.

Get a staffie or a user to create bingo cards with numbers for each user - just e-mail each user their set of numbers then randomly select the numbers until someone wins. They need to announce their win in a thread while the numbers are being drawn.
Wed 31/01/07 at 12:07
Regular
"8==="
Ok I got a cynical one now:

A weekly GAD that's could be anyone's purely for visiting the site and posting each day.

It keeps your hits up and keeps the site ticking over, plus you get a steady stream of daily visiors who are likely to check in each day. Having less fluctutating visiting figures like that is useful when/if you're trying to get to get people to pay to advertise on your forums/site.
Tue 30/01/07 at 16:51
Regular
The fact game

Each day of the week, freeola staff post a fact about someone famous in a certain thread, and the job of the competitors is to guess which person the facts stated belong to. So for the 7 days of the week, 7 facts are added (1 each day) and if no one guesses correctly within the first week, then the 30 pound voucher is saved and added to the week afters winner. Sounds confusing but would be quite fun. Also to stop the thread getting to crowded with lots of answers, players are restricted to one vote every 2 days.
Tue 30/01/07 at 12:06
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
A Jigsaw Puzzle game:

You could select or create an (appropriate) image of a reasonable size: one which isn't so small that it's stupidly easy, and one which isn't too big either.

Then shove the image into Photoshop or something similar and cut it up into itsy bitsy pieces. Square pieces means that it's a lot easier to cut up and scramble without causing too much unused space in the scrambled picture.

Once you have cut up and scrambled the pieces, post the image in a topic (or a link to it), and the first person to put all the pieces back into the correct places to form the correct picture wins.

You may want to also post a link to the finished image so that users know what they are aiming for, but you'd have to put some sort of watermark on it to prevent cheating.

I've done this before on other message boards. It's great fun, and lasts for quite a while if you do it right.
Tue 30/01/07 at 11:43
Regular
"8==="
A Freeola sponsored gaming tournament.

Would be easy enough to develop, you could organise it on the site (ie free site hits for you) and perhaps even launch a new tournaments forum off the whole thing.

If you advertised it a bit (Gaming tournament - win free games) then you'd get a lot of hits for a small spend. Infact if you merely emailed you clients about it the resulting word of mouth would do the job and all you'd have to do is hand out the Amazon vouchers.

The choice of online game/games would be the biggest decision and I suppose someone would have to observe it. So perhaps a game that a staffie owns.

Or you could go with an offline games competition and have people send in pictures of their highscores (maybe including a paper from the same day in the picture so as to prevent cheating).

Basically the finer details can be worked out later but the initial idea is definitely a go-er and would certainly get the site a sizeable amount of hits and raise forum-use significantly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.