GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the PS2 honestly that bad?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/07/01 at 21:18
Regular
When sony anounced that they were releasing the PS2 I thought that it would be the best thing since the SNES and could not wait to get one. But now that that it's here it seems to be quality starved and most of the games that I have played have poor gameplay or are sequels to popular PS1 games. Which is a good idea in theory but in reality these games are more or less the same but with improved graphics eg Tekken Tag, Ridge Racer and GT3. I just want to know if it realy is that bad, your opinions please.

Only non biased gamers post. (No phrases like PS2 is great because nintendo/microsoft suck)
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:11
Regular
Wookiee's on the blob! Wookiee's on the blob!

:-)

True, last time I counted PS2 had sold 80million units, not bad considering the DC managed 10million.

The reason I've mentioned Sega earlier is because a lot of DC owners are going to get which ever console Sega supports most. Whcih would appear to be not the PS2.

The PS2 won't die, it's got too big a user base already installed to simply disappear, thats if no one else buys one again ever. Which won't happen because with each price drop, there'll be another wave of customers who are now prepared to buy one.
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:07
"High polygon count"
Okay, looking at it in the simplest terms, and assuming (however wrongly) that PS2 is a git to code on...

1. Is the machine selling? Yes.
2. Are hoards of developers turning away? No.
3. Are good games available? Yes.
4. Are better games coming? Yes.
5. Is the PS2's future secure? Yes.

Regardless of how well or otherwise Xbox and Gamecube do, PS2 isn't going to fade away, and will always have worthy games.

And for the last friggin' time, "better games" depends on your personal taste.

If more people bought Sega or Nintendo games, it'd be 'because they're great games... you can hardly blame them.'

Because more people bought PS1 games, it wasn't because they're actually good, it was 'because they've all been brainwashed by Sony'.

Rubbish.

Maybe, just maybe, it's because PS games genuinely appeal to more people.

Deal with it, for christ sake.
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:00
Regular
"Back For Good"
crazy taxi won't be one of the seven because all that was said before crazy taxi was confirmed for the PS2,i have a DVD demo that goes on about sega and ps2 and it doesn't say anything about crazy taxi in fact it said the first sega game to appear on the PS2 would be zombie revenge so it looks ike we have eight games but their nearly all good ones.

:-)
Fri 27/07/01 at 11:57
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Everyone seems to be getting carried away, especially with things that at this point are not true facts. The X-Box and gamecube aren't even out and already you are saying they are much better. For all you know both these consoles could be released and end up having serious problems with them ( I know its highly unlikely). So lets stick with the true facts and stop being jealous and slagging off a console, if you don't like it fine but there are millions who do.
Fri 27/07/01 at 11:55
Regular
"not dead"
Ö= ResŒvilfan =Ö wrote:
> we're the one's right now with crazy taxi and have space channel
> 5,18 wheeler,zombie revenge and some exclusives soon to come.

Yes, but given that neither the Xbox or GAMECUBE have been released yet, they're not likely to have any games just yet!

I know that 18Wheeler, Crazy Taxi and Super Monkey Ball will be amongst the first games released on the GCN from Sega.
Fri 27/07/01 at 11:54
Regular
This is an old post of mine from the Sega forum:

The quote was from www.dreamcastmag.co.uk

"Sega president Peter Moore took to the stage and announced the company was working on eleven titles for Microsoft's machine.
Most of the buzz centred on Crazy Taxi Next and House Of The Dead 3, although he also confirmed that Xbox would see versions of Sega's NFL, NBA and World Series baseball franchises. These titles join the list unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show that included Jet Grind Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon and Gun Valkyrie.

The Xbox announcements coincide with news on Sega's plans for the GameCube console. The LA Times has reported that ten games are being worked on for Nintendo's machine, including a Sonic title and everyone's favourite chat room application, Phantasy Star Online. GameCube PSO even has a release date set - March 2002, indicating the Nintendo is committing itself to an online future right from the start. Other GameCube titles include Virtua Striker 3 and Monkey Ball.

Sega also have seven games in development for the PS2."

So it would seem that Sega is supporting the XBox more than the rest, with 11 titles, 'Cube next with 10, and the PS2 last with 7.

What the article doesnt say however, is whether the titles include conversions or brand new software. Is Crazy Taxi one of the 7 PS2 games? If it is, then i think Sega has firmly shown that it not supporting the PS2 anywhere near as much as the others.

If this is the case, then Sega fans no have the difficult choice of buying a 'Cube or an XBox if they want to carry on playing the classic sort of titles that made Sega's name.
Fri 27/07/01 at 11:50
Regular
"Back For Good"
we're the one's right now with crazy taxi and have space channel 5,18 wheeler,zombie revenge and some exclusives soon to come.
Fri 27/07/01 at 11:48
Regular
Yeah, but the Sega titles are also going to other consoles.

From what I've seen it seems that Sega are supporting Nintendo the most, MS slightly less and Sony are well down the list.
Fri 27/07/01 at 11:47
Regular
"Back For Good"
yeah but the games that are appearing on all consoles will be by far first seen on the PS2, like silent hill 2,sega's etc
Fri 27/07/01 at 11:42
Regular
"not dead"
Okay, a few things to add to this thread.

1) The PS2 does have some decent games.

2) Somebody wrote: You can't expect good titles right away. I ask, why not?

3) It doesn't matter how difficult it is to program for, any developer worth their salt will get around the difficulties, and strive to make the best games they can - as long as a profit will be made!

4) My main concern with the PS2 is that it will have fewer exclusive games than the GAMECUBE, as far as I'm aware. I don't think Sony were prepared for developers wanting to develop for other machines, after they flocked to them in the PSX days. Many of the major developers want to be multi-platform, such as Namco, Konami and Capcom. Sony needed to sign a few more exclusivity contracts, maybe buy stakes in a few more development houses. As it is, im my opinion, many games may debut on the PS2, but these games will also be available on other platforms.

GAMECUBE is at least assured to have some exclusive titles. This isn't important as a stand alone fact, but as these happen to be some of the titles I want most, the Nintendo console is the one for me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.