GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the PS2 honestly that bad?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/07/01 at 21:18
Regular
When sony anounced that they were releasing the PS2 I thought that it would be the best thing since the SNES and could not wait to get one. But now that that it's here it seems to be quality starved and most of the games that I have played have poor gameplay or are sequels to popular PS1 games. Which is a good idea in theory but in reality these games are more or less the same but with improved graphics eg Tekken Tag, Ridge Racer and GT3. I just want to know if it realy is that bad, your opinions please.

Only non biased gamers post. (No phrases like PS2 is great because nintendo/microsoft suck)
Sat 28/07/01 at 19:42
Regular
Psygnosis made Lemmings.

They should make a new lemmings game.

The Playstation is pretty much lacking in good nostalgic titles so far.

It could well lead to some of the more sentimental gamers to buying a PS2. Especially Amiga fans...
Sat 28/07/01 at 19:40
Regular
So it looks like Wookies list is made of exclusives apart from Red Faction which hasn't been announced for other consoles yet but with THQ being much of a multi format company, you can expect to see it on Gamecube and Xbox sooner or later.

The PS2 wasn't as good as it's supporters made out it would be, but it hasn't been the failer it's opposers predicted.

It's sort of somewhere in between...
Sat 28/07/01 at 17:18
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Psygnosis is now Sony Studios Liverpool.

Sony do make games for
> the PC because a) They're not a threat and b) That's where the
> money's at. More money for Sony development studios equals better
> games.

I'd like to point poout Sony don't make games... but their second party people (like Liverpool studios), do... and on the PC. I have Destruction Derby (original) on my PC:)

NiGHTS!
Sat 28/07/01 at 17:18
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Psygnosis is now Sony Studios Liverpool.

Sony do make games for
> the PC because a) They're not a threat and b) That's where the
> money's at. More money for Sony development studios equals better
> games.

I'd like to point poout Sony don't make games... but their second party people (like Liverpool studios), do. I have Destruction Derby (original) on my PC:)

NiGHTS!
Sat 28/07/01 at 01:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Psygnosis is now Sony Studios Liverpool.

Sony do make games for the PC because a) They're not a threat and b) That's where the money's at. More money for Sony development studios equals better games.
Sat 28/07/01 at 00:31
"High polygon count"
Strafex wrote:
> Wookie, I knew that Wipeout would be (Sony owning Psygnosis) but
> what about the rest?

> Who made them?

Sorry, that last post was a little confusing... Red Faction is by THQ, but is currently PS2-only, coming later for PC, but no other consoles... yet.

The Getaway is Sony Studio Camden, as is Dropship. Extermination is by a company called DeepSpace in conjunction with Sony.

If you want to see what's out and who it's by, check out:

http://www.sonyweb.com /reviews/index.html

To see what's coming and from who, check out:

http://www.sonyweb.com /previews/index.html

I think you'll see there are plenty of big names and big games. Okay, they're not all exclusive, but there are plenty of good games that are or will be.
Fri 27/07/01 at 23:28
The only thing the PS2 has dissapointed me is that it is just too average, true it's gonna get better with the release of better games.

But if the GameCube and X-Box release good games from the word go then popularity will take a plunge for the PS2.
Fri 27/07/01 at 23:16
The PS2 has dissapointed many people because it promised innovative, new great games from day 1, and it never delivered this promise.

However the PS2 has a number of good points, its a fast impressive machine and over recent months quality titles have been comming out for the machine such as Onimusha, GranTurismo3, Crazy Taxi, Quake III Revolution, Resident Evil Code Veronica X and SSX. Its true that you could argue that the Dreamcast has as many good game, to be fair it does.

However the Playstation 2 is the worlds most popular next generation console and is predicted to remain that way until at least 2005. Meaning that the Playstation 2 will continue to have quality games for many years to come.

The Playstation 2 is also cheap considering it plays DVDs aswell as the latest games.

The best is yet to come ! :-)
Fri 27/07/01 at 22:27
Regular
Everyone loves a good old console war!! :-)
Fri 27/07/01 at 22:25
Tellah wrote:
>The PS2 is a PS1 with knobs on.

lol lol!

Wicked post that man!

I wonder why this topic has attracted so many long posts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.