GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the PS2 honestly that bad?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/07/01 at 21:18
Regular
When sony anounced that they were releasing the PS2 I thought that it would be the best thing since the SNES and could not wait to get one. But now that that it's here it seems to be quality starved and most of the games that I have played have poor gameplay or are sequels to popular PS1 games. Which is a good idea in theory but in reality these games are more or less the same but with improved graphics eg Tekken Tag, Ridge Racer and GT3. I just want to know if it realy is that bad, your opinions please.

Only non biased gamers post. (No phrases like PS2 is great because nintendo/microsoft suck)
Fri 27/07/01 at 13:09
Thats debatable.
Fri 27/07/01 at 13:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Toad: They did with the N64.
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:42
OK, lets clear this up: The PS2 is great. No doubt about it. It is very powerful, has amazing graphics and has some great games, both already out and in the pipeline. The gamecube, however, will almost certainly be better, and here is my reasoning: Nintendo are the most successful and influencial games and console manufacturers in the market, and their expertise will certainly mean that they won't bring out an inferior console well over a year later.
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:40
Regular
Wookiee 10 million people bought a DC.

When the games stop, which they will eventually, probably late next year, then these 10 million people will be looking for a new console to buy.

Ok, that number is nothing comapred to Sonys 80 million (already god knows what it'll be this time next year!), but that 10 million could make a big difference to the XBox or 'Cubes future.

I admit, it is only the gamers that will gain, as you say. I also appriciate that that not everyone like Sega's games, in the same way as not everyone likes Sony's or Nintendo's.

Sony has done well with the PS2, no doubt about it, and people do slate it for no reason. I've already come to the conclusion that if I could afford it I'd go down the shop today and get one. But I can't, so I'll hang on to my DC and next year some time make a decision on what to get.

Bur Sega will play a big part in what console I chose to get, in the same way that Sony's game were a big part in you choosing to get a PS2.
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:35
"High polygon count"
Ö= ResŒvilfan =Ö wrote:
> Wookie Monster did you catch cybernet last night, They did have some
> excellent PS2 game reviews. If you missed it it's repeated on
> sunday.

I rarely watch it to be honest.

> Theres this brilliant hoverboard game haha original and
> classy.

Yup - Airblade - a mix of Tony Hawks and that scene from Back to the Future...
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:33
"High polygon count"
Your Honour wrote:
> Wookiee's on the blob! Wookiee's on the blob!

Meka_Dragon wrote:
> Now that's hardly spreading hairy love now, is it? ;-)

Yeah, sorry - but I just get so pi... erm, peeved at this constant nonsense posted about the PS2. It's about time people accepted that Sony kicked everone's butts last time out, and stopped trying to come up with feeble excuses as to why everyone else failed so miserably.

Okay, so Sony may or may not repeat their previous one-man-show, but they're already off to a flying start. No matter how good the other machines are, it's still a fact that in terms of sales and user-base, they still have a hell of a lot of catching up to do.

If they do catch up, then fair play - they deserve it. The only people to win from it are gamers in general. Sometimes you feel like you're banging your head against a brick wall trying to get some of the people on these forums to realise and/or admit to the simple facts.

> The reason I've mentioned Sega earlier is
> because a lot of DC owners are going to get which ever console Sega
> supports most. Whcih would appear to be not the PS2.

For me it's not an issue, as I've stated many times that Sega games in general don't appeal to me. Also, if that many people were going to buy the console Sega support most, surely they'd have bought a Dreamcast and it would still be around? (In manufacturing terms, of course.) Sorry, YH - I do see your point, and I've no doubt that many people will be doing just that - but I don't think that particular aspect will be as big an issue as you think.
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:23
Regular
Turbo, the thing is, they're only going to be three originals.

Whereas Sega are doing entirely new games Jet Set Future, Gun Valklrie (sp?), Crazty Taxi Future etc for the XBox. Some new games are also going to the 'Cube.

It seems weird to me that Sega now (seem) to be working closest with it's old arch rivals (nintendo) and shunning the Sony hardware.

Strange.
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's got to be more than 7 as AM2 are converting their entire back catalog to PS2 with 3 new games confirmed.

Even counting the ones only mentioned in OPS2 #10 that makes 8, plus Crazy Taxi.
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:13
Regular
"Back For Good"
Wookie Monster did you catch cybernet last night, They did have some excellent PS2 game reviews. If you missed it it's repeated on sunday.

Theres this brilliant hoverboard game haha original and classy.
Fri 27/07/01 at 12:12
Regular
"not dead"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

Deal with it, for christ sake.

Now that's hardly spreading hairy love now, is it? ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.