GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Email Service"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/12/09 at 08:48
"Are you sure?"
Morning all.

I appreciate people will be busy this morning but it someone could provide a likely ETA for normal service it would be much appreciated - either on the Status page or here?

Thanks in advance.
NB. twitter.com/Freeola would work well for Service updates and if the outage was affecting your website you could still reach the world :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 10/12/09 at 16:27
Regular
For those that look here first this is the latest update

Problems with receiving mail 10/12/09 3:20 PM:

During the course of Tuesday 8th December 2009, we experienced issues with the mail.freeola.net e-mail server which affected Freeola E-mail users, preventing access to incoming and outgoing e-mail.

The faulty e-mail server has since been successfully replaced as of roughly 8pm on the 9th of December 2009, and all new e-mail should now be coming through without any problems. We are, however, still endeavouring to retrieve e-mails that are stored on the original, faulty server. Due to the vast amount of e-mails stored on the original server, efforts to retrieve all the backlogged e-mails will take a few days to complete.

Rest assured that our engineers are working hard on the matter and that any updates or information regarding the situation will be posted right here on this page.

We thank you for your continued patience, and apologise for the inconvenience caused.
Thu 10/12/09 at 14:41
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Now look. This forum exists for technical chat. For many years we have run a reliable email service at low cost or free to customers. the system handles millions of emails each day and operates on a rack full of servers.

Since the moment this server failed, we have been giving our best efforts to resolve it. The replacement server is up and working but getting the backlog of emails through will take days, not hours, and some email may be lost.

I will make sure this fact is clear on our status page, but please do not use this forum for adhoc sniping as clearly it would be silly of us to maintain it for that purpose.
Thu 10/12/09 at 14:16
Regular
hmm yes its ok - its all under control we have another website as well. when we were redirecting things yesterday we lost some of the html coding and trying to recover it! all under control!

just reading everyone elses updates - still receive no emails from the outage period, but will have to remain patient.

all in all, glad to see things are coming back to normal slowly for everyone.
Thu 10/12/09 at 13:54
Regular
Low and behold they have just arrived. Yipee.

Laura
Thu 10/12/09 at 13:49
Regular
Hi Hmmm,

Both domains (com. & co.uk) point to the same webspace so in theory shouldn't be any confusion with the email address itself. You will only ever see something which ends with a co.uk link. I've checked the original email I sent to my friend asking for a couple of test messages. One, as I say, was a straight click the email address within the text of that message. I've been back to the sent message and tried the link myself. It worked straight away for me and I got the message in my inbox almost immediately. Similarly I've been back through all my email links on my website and all would appear to be showing the correct email address. Basically I've clicked each one and the right email address appears in the To: box.

I'm led to understand that the grey fields were set to high early this morning, causing additional delays and these have now been reset. (if that makes sense), but beyond that I have no idea why the two tests sent at just gone 8 am haven't got here.

Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Laura
Thu 10/12/09 at 13:24
"Are you sure?"
ourLOL wrote:
> The test emails from my friend still haven't arrived some 5 hours
> on :( She's had a message saying the email could not be
> delivered for 4.0 hours but that it will continue to be retried.
>
> It's not filling me with confidence, although I have had some new
> emails through from today.
>
> Laura

Hi ourLOL,
That sounds rather odd if your tests are working!
Are you happy they haven't made a typo with the email address?

Perhaps get them to try again using the link on your contact page to make sure they aren't typing it incorrectly.

I see you have both the .co.uk and .com domains - are the same accounts setup for both domains in case they used the wrong one?

That's all I can think of - otherwise it sounds like there is still a problem.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 10/12/09 at 13:12
Regular
The test emails from my friend still haven't arrived some 5 hours on :( She's had a message saying the email could not be delivered for 4.0 hours but that it will continue to be retried.

It's not filling me with confidence, although I have had some new emails through from today.

Laura
Thu 10/12/09 at 12:45
"Are you sure?"
Hi World Air Group - like you I know I've still got emails 'in the system'. I'm hoping that over the coming hours some still get through.

But for my out-going ones that are important to me (invoices!) I've asked/resent my clients. Obviously for unknown in-coming one's there's not much we can do...

NB. I notice some links on your site are still failing this morning!
Notably your 'contact page' - I would sort that out ASAP in case your clients are trying to read it! Especially with the critial nature of your business as you explained yesterday. I'm assuming your site is one based on your username here, as it is hosted with Freeola?
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 10/12/09 at 11:17
Regular
I am still yet to receive emails from the period of the outage, that is approx 12:51pm Tuesday 8th until 20:03 Wednesday 9th December.

I do appreciate Freeolas service on this, but like others I cannot afford to be missing emails from this period. Clients will no doubt not come back with return business if this is the case.

Lets cross our fingers this is all to do with the restore which was advised can take up to 48 hours! lets hope!
Thu 10/12/09 at 09:19
Regular
I'm trying not to think about the emails I may have lost! I suspect that any new clients who have had bounced messages won't return.

There are definitely some msgs missing at the moment that I would have expected to have been there. Certainly my orders tend to come in two parts, the notification itself and then the payment confirmation email. Given that they normally come through in sequence... together so to speak... it is obvious that this isn't happening with the restore. Maybe its just out of sync. We'll see.

I'm told that there may be delays with emails where a contact has never written to you before. They will initially be filtered into a grey area and will probably take about an hour to arrive. That said it is well over an hour since my friend sent her tests.

Put is like this I still feel a little nervous about everything and not totally reassured that we're back to normal as far as new emails go. Then again, I'm just a worry guts... cup half empty (LOL).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.