GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Email Service"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/12/09 at 08:48
"Are you sure?"
Morning all.

I appreciate people will be busy this morning but it someone could provide a likely ETA for normal service it would be much appreciated - either on the Status page or here?

Thanks in advance.
NB. twitter.com/Freeola would work well for Service updates and if the outage was affecting your website you could still reach the world :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 11/12/09 at 18:21
"Are you sure?"
Digitrader wrote:
> I did wonder about Tonys post I thought it was rather off thats
> why I posted the status update as it makes NO mention
> of emails being lost.

I'll agree with that.

Still not sure where we stand :¬(
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 11/12/09 at 12:36
Regular
"Gravity always wins"
I too would like to thank all the Freeola guys and engineers who got the system up and running again.

I have been a customer for many years and could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have experienced any major problems. As usual, Freeola were on it straight away and resumed service as quickly as they possibly could.

Most businesses rely on email and unfortunate hardware failures such as this only emphasizes how critical it has become.

On my own web forms I now have a very prominent message that if I have not responded to the form or an email within 24 hours the customer must PHONE me as nobody can guarantee a 100% error free email delivery system. This puts the onus on the customer or client to not simply presume that because they hit the send button it always gets there.

This obviously doesn't help the Freeola customers who are hosting sites for third parties - that must be tough and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when it all goes Pete Tong!
Fri 11/12/09 at 11:36
Regular
"I like turtles"
My emails seem fine now,thanks for all the hard work guys,appreciated.Problems like these will raise their ugly little heads from time to time and it seems obvious there was no 30 second fix to this one.I'm a little bit confused by what seems to have gone on in this thread TBH ?.Like most people I had a few emails I really needed to receive and respond to and for a short period had to resort to other methods of communication.It was inconvenient but couldn't be helped or avoided.As I see it,something major broke,Freeola support were on to it right away,the site was updated at regular intervals (letting us know we had not been left out in the snow),it finally got fixed and normal service was resolved.In my mind that is receiving good service,is it not ? :S

[S]and yes I do know what terrible customer support is like,I am an ex-Tiscali customer ![S]
Thu 10/12/09 at 22:37
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Just got back home after fixing a client's box of tricks - no, not due to the recent outage:-D

Would just like to say a very big thank you to you all at Freeola for working so hard during what must have been a 'very trying' time.

Hope I don't fall foul of the wrath that seems to have eminated as a result:-)
Thu 10/12/09 at 20:07
Regular
I did wonder about Tonys post I thought it was rather off thats why I posted the status update as it makes NO mention of emails being lost. I do think that Staff mods would have the powers to email directly those who were rude and aggresive on this thread rather than flare emotions up yet again.

For what its worth I have had a steady flow of emails all day and no reports of "why did you not answer my email" :-)

Digi
Thu 10/12/09 at 18:46
"Are you sure?"
OK.

I used to get you and Eccles muddled up - glad to see you are still here... :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 10/12/09 at 18:44
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Nope, no break. I've just been lurking in the background all this time :)
Thu 10/12/09 at 18:39
"Are you sure?"
Hi loki,
Thanks for the update, it's appreciated :¬)

OT
Haven't seen you around here much lately - to be honest I thought you had left a while back? Have you just been busy behind the scenes or have you been taking a Freeola break?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 10/12/09 at 18:31
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Hi Hmmm.

Yes, I'm sure that comments about some of the recent activity here were only directed at those few posts which were designed to be insulting or abusive, especially those directed at other members of the forum.

As for the possibility of lost messages, we hope that very few messages will be lost in the end. There are a large number of messages stuck on the failed server, which we will try to restore to customers mailboxes over the coming days.

Apart from those messages which are currently on the old server, there will be some messages that would have 'bounced' while the mail server was down. However, if the sender's e-mail service was configured correctly, then they should automatically attempt to re-send at regular intervals - until delivery is successful. Therefore, it should be a minority of messages that will not be received at all, but they may have been lost if the sender's mail server is not set-up correctly (according to recommended specifications for dealing with bounced messages). It is also worth bearing in mind that many senders would have received a notification if their message had failed to be delivered and they will then have the option of re-sending.

We will update the Network Status page with more details when we have attempted to restore all currently saved messages from the old server.

Hope that information helps a little, but again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused while this work is ongoing.
Thu 10/12/09 at 17:45
"Are you sure?"
Hopefully Tony's comments were only directed at certain users; as some regulars here have been attempting to help others...?

I've just renewed 3 domains with Freeola and found the invoice email arrived immediately after the 'order confirmation' this normally takes quite a while to come through.

Doing a couple of tests on my sites that use form-mail the email has also arrived IMMEDIATELY :¬)

I'm hoping this is due to the replacement h/w being higher spec. but I guess it could be because the 'system' is pretty empty?

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the norm.

Even the dodgy spam that I mentioned before the crash has stopped :¬)
I take that back they've just started again :¬(

Over the last couple of days I'm happy to report that all of my many Freeola clients that have contacted me during the problem have been understanding and reacted well.

The common question being will I lose any emails?

Tony's post says "some emails may be lost" and he was going to make this fact clear on the Status page. The last Status Page update doesn't seem to mention this, so it might be worth clarifying as I'm sure many others, are like me, pointing people to that page.

Apologies if I've missed any reference.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.