GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Email Service"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/12/09 at 08:48
"Are you sure?"
Morning all.

I appreciate people will be busy this morning but it someone could provide a likely ETA for normal service it would be much appreciated - either on the Status page or here?

Thanks in advance.
NB. twitter.com/Freeola would work well for Service updates and if the outage was affecting your website you could still reach the world :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 09/12/09 at 12:18
"Are you sure?"
Perhaps it's time for a backup mail server, as this appears to be a single point of failure?
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 09/12/09 at 12:04
Regular
Certainly some of mine are bouncing back as undeliverable.

I've set up a temporary email address for my business and now have a note on my website apologising for any incovenience caused. It won't 'catch all' but it's better than nothing.

I genuinely realise it is one of those things and nobody is to blame, but I feel sick to be honest. I think it's the timing of it that makes it worse.

Laura
Wed 09/12/09 at 11:55
Regular
good question. ive asked people to send me emails as a test. one has come back, undeliverable, another has stated its in a queue and had no response on the other. very frustrating
Wed 09/12/09 at 11:41
Regular
Apologies for adding to your busyness...

Are incoming mails currently being bounced or queued?

Neil
Wed 09/12/09 at 10:22
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
At the moment we're pretty hopeful it will be sometime later today.
Wed 09/12/09 at 10:21
Regular
"I like turtles"
Are we hopeful of getting it sorted today guys ?.Sounds like you're having a mare ! :(
Wed 09/12/09 at 10:15
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Hey people,

I've been dealing with this yesterday evening and overnight. I apologise for not updating the status page after 12:15 AM but I needed some sleep!

The situation at the moment is that the POP server failed, attempts were made to bring it back up remotely (rebooting, disk checks etc) but these were unsuccessful. As a result a new server is being prepared, which will then have to be taken to the data centre in London and put in place of the broken one. Unfortunately it seems that there has been a hardware problem, which we could not predict. There were failover disks but I suspect the controller was the root cause so these could not be used.
Wed 09/12/09 at 09:44
Regular
Hmmm... wrote:
Thanks for the updates ButchML.

Like the other poster I'm also worried about missing emails.
I lost emails the other week when you were doing 'email
maintenance' so I'm pretty sure this one will hurt me :¬(

Thanks again.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Thanks interesting. I lost email last week too. When I queried this I was told I must have done something wrong when I closed Outlook. I've been baffled ever since so that sentence maybe sheds a little light on what actually happened.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here wondering if I should be a notice on my website about the problem.

Laura
Wed 09/12/09 at 09:25
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Unfortunately all I have to tell you is that the server failed and is currently in the process of being replaced (one can only presume the other/current one was irreparable), I literally have no further information at this time.

I think the message that was on the status page was referencing the notifications an SMTP server would receive. As this was slightly ambiguous, I removed it when I updated the page half an hour ago.

As for lost e-mails, we are certainly hoping all messages sent and queued on the server will be delivered in due course although, again, we will not know one way or the other until the issue has been resolved.
Wed 09/12/09 at 09:11
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the updates ButchML.

Can you please give some indication of the type of problem so that I can pass this on to my users - rather than just saying 'sorry it's broken'?

Like the other poster I'm also worried about missing emails.
I lost emails the other week when you were doing 'email maintenance' so I'm pretty sure this one will hurt me :¬(

Re. The Status update that mentioned 'bouncing emails'. In the past it's come to light that Freeola's email service is setup not to report back if addresses don't exist etc. If there were stages where the email wasn't being queued it would be nice to hear that people would be receiving failure messages back rather than things going down a black hole?

Thanks again.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.