GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Email Service"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/12/09 at 08:48
"Are you sure?"
Morning all.

I appreciate people will be busy this morning but it someone could provide a likely ETA for normal service it would be much appreciated - either on the Status page or here?

Thanks in advance.
NB. twitter.com/Freeola would work well for Service updates and if the outage was affecting your website you could still reach the world :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 09/12/09 at 14:29
Regular
Hi Eccles - thanks for the update, I appreciate that the delay is out of your hands and I know that you (Freeola) are doing all you can to expediate (word of the day on the forum) normal service for us all.

Digi

Eccles wrote:
> The current status is that the new server should be online
> in an hour and begin dealing with mail. There have been issues
> getting the current config to work on the new server.
>
> I'm really sorry about the length of this outage but we really
> are trying to resolve the issue ASAP to get your mail service up
> and running.
Wed 09/12/09 at 14:17
Regular
great, thanks for the update
Wed 09/12/09 at 14:13
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
The current status is that the new server should be online in an hour and begin dealing with mail. There have been issues getting the current config to work on the new server.

I'm really sorry about the length of this outage but we really are trying to resolve the issue ASAP to get your mail service up and running.
Wed 09/12/09 at 14:03
Regular
eccles, of course we understand your frustration, your human after all. but the management need to be accountable for this. i used to work in IT doing exactly the same as you so totally understand. but if proper procedures were in place to deal with such outages, you or your clients, would not be in this position now.

i cannot believe freeola does not have cold/hot standby sites!

at the end of the day my company provides a critical service to hospitals worldwide, email is critical for our medical teams to assess patients. i am just hope there is not going to be any major incidents involving patients, as a result of no email.
Wed 09/12/09 at 14:03
Regular
Rather than focus on what's fair or not, can you PLEASE tell us what the current situation is please. I realise that you may not have much information but anything would be good at this stage. What is the current status of the new server e.g. where are things up to.
Thank you.
Wed 09/12/09 at 13:54
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
NN wrote:
> Eccles wrote:
> Hey people,
>
> I've been dealing with this yesterday evening and overnight. I
> apologise for not updating the status page after 12:15 AM but I
> needed some sleep!
>
>
>
> Am I the only one slightly concerned about this level of
> support?
>
> Lets hope this chap never goes on Holiday or we'll never get an
> update

I don't think this is fair really. Our support is during working hours. Outside those ours I/other systems staff are on call to deal with problems. In this case when I last updated the status page the issue was being looked into by another engineer who was working overnight on it.
Wed 09/12/09 at 13:52
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
The trouble with email is that the POP server is always going to be a single point of failure. Unless you have a huge email infrastructure (cloud), then having multiple POP servers will mean there would have to be mail1.freeola.net, mail2.freeola.net etc so different accounts would run off different servers, which I'm sure you can appreciate would be a pain for customers and for support. In this scenario if 1 mail server was lost then all accounts on that server would be unavailable as they wouldn't exist on other servers.
Wed 09/12/09 at 13:47
Regular
Earlier we were told a new server is being prepared, which would then have to be taken to the data centre in London and put in place of the broken one.

Can anyone in support give us an update on where you are up to with this e.g. has the new server been done, is it on its way to London?

Once there how long will it take to get everything back up an running.

Like you, it's been a long haul.... 21 hours so far. Much of my work is done in the evening/very earling morning dealing with international customers... the last posting date for their gifts arriving before Christmas being tomorrow! The time difference alone is going to make things very tight now.

Laura
Wed 09/12/09 at 13:45
Regular
couldnt agree more
Wed 09/12/09 at 13:42
Regular
this is getting ridiculous now. over 24 hours since the problem materialised, and not even a guide as to how long this will take. sorry freeola team, but when your running such a critical service like this, wheres your disaster recovery plan, backup servers, disk imaging systems etc. After all this is what us users pay for 99.9% service. I certainly will be reviewing my current contract with you as I have lost a lot of business due to this and at a very critical time. What do i tell my clients?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.