GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo 2 - new movies, pics and playtest"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo 2'.
Tue 11/05/04 at 14:59
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Check out IGN, there's a 5 page playtest on there, plus new screenshots and some direct stream videos (which you have to subscribe to get, I believe). The screenshots look incredible, and from what I read, the online multi-play looks and sounds awesome. The level described is exactly the kind of level I thought was lacking from the first game, a kind of 'onslaught' level with fixed gun turrets, loads of vehicles and cool sniping points.

Just a shame I won't have broadband when it comes out on November 9th.
Wed 23/06/04 at 22:09
Regular
Mav wrote:
> I've lost count of the times we've all had this same discussion.

Indeed.

Both games shall rockus. Bring them on!
Wed 23/06/04 at 22:04
Regular
I've lost count of the times we've all had this same discussion.
Wed 23/06/04 at 21:40
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> If you expect MP to be a traditional FPS then no wonder you didn't
> like it. It would be complete crap with FPS controls. As it is, it's
> one of the best games I've ever played.

I wasn't expecting it to be a traditional FPS but I was expecting it to have better controls.

> Halo... it's good, but so disappointing. Perhaps if I played it when
> it was first released I'd appreciate it more, but I didn't and I've
> had far more fun out of TimeSplitters 2 and Goldeneye, both of which
> I feel are superior if not for level design alone.

Just to point out, I too think Halo is over-rated. It's good but not that good.

> No, strangely enough this isn't a bias Nintendo fanboys opinions, I
> was wetting myself waiting for Halo, but it ended up simply being
> good. I still can't quite udnerstand why it's so highly rated. I'm
> sure many of you will think the same about Metroid Prime, but if you
> don't like backtracking why did you bother getting a Metroid game in
> the first place?

If you read properly I said backtracking can be brilliant. If done properly can make the game longer and better, however as I said, in my opinion, they went too over the top in backtracking. But after all, it's all down to personal taste. I'd much rather play GTA than Halo and MP.
Wed 23/06/04 at 20:43
Regular
"gsybe you!"
That's the trouble - I guess most people bought MP thinking it was a quirky if normal FPS.

As it is, it's a FPA, and brillllllliiant.
Wed 23/06/04 at 20:40
Regular
If you expect MP to be a traditional FPS then no wonder you didn't like it. It would be complete crap with FPS controls. As it is, it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Halo... it's good, but so disappointing. Perhaps if I played it when it was first released I'd appreciate it more, but I didn't and I've had far more fun out of TimeSplitters 2 and Goldeneye, both of which I feel are superior if not for level design alone.

No, strangely enough this isn't a bias Nintendo fanboys opinions, I was wetting myself waiting for Halo, but it ended up simply being good. I still can't quite udnerstand why it's so highly rated. I'm sure many of you will think the same about Metroid Prime, but if you don't like backtracking why did you bother getting a Metroid game in the first place?
Wed 23/06/04 at 19:43
Regular
I quite enjoyed the last level of Halo actually, it's the repetitive ones that I have the problem with. They're only really fun in co-op.

I'm hoping that Halo 2 will offer some diverse and intense battles, and the enjoyment would be from using your initiative to figure out what to do in such situations. Half-Life 2, as you say, looks to offer something different, although I have seen videos of the player commanding a squad of allies as a resistance. Nothing on the epic war scale of Halo 2, however.
Wed 23/06/04 at 19:33
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
They'll play differently. In Halo 2 I'm looking forward to taking on a load of grunts, but being clever and snagging the leading Elites (or Brutes) first and sending them running. In Half Life 2 I expect to use the scenery a lot more, and to be far more realistic. Different games, different experiences.

The only crappy bit about the first Halo (as DX rightly states), is the bit near the end where they stick you in tunnel after tunnel, fighting the Flood. What a dull level that was. It gets better afterwards though, as you have to face the Flood, the Covenant, and that gay little flying robot thing that won't die! And playing it on Legendary is one of the most rewarding game experiences I've ever had. Figuring out how to tackle a squad of aliens with one bar of health, a pistol and a handful of grenades gives you that little "buzz" that most FPS's are missing these days. I think I said before that it's a puzzle game, but that only depends what difficulty you play it on.

And don't compare Halo or Half Life to Deus Ex. Unless you meant the newer one, which I haven't played, but know to be dull as dishwater. The older one was poo. Pure poo. No redeeming features whatsoever. Poo poo.
Wed 23/06/04 at 19:29
Regular
Have either of you played Driv3r?
Wed 23/06/04 at 19:23
Regular
I find it easier to selectively ignore anything that Maverick says really.
Wed 23/06/04 at 19:19
Regular
Of course everything at the moment is mere speculation, and we're all excited by both but.. Half-Life 2. Just something about it.

And Driv3r doesn't rule that much, but is still damn enjoyable.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.