GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo 2 - new movies, pics and playtest"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo 2'.
Tue 11/05/04 at 14:59
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Check out IGN, there's a 5 page playtest on there, plus new screenshots and some direct stream videos (which you have to subscribe to get, I believe). The screenshots look incredible, and from what I read, the online multi-play looks and sounds awesome. The level described is exactly the kind of level I thought was lacking from the first game, a kind of 'onslaught' level with fixed gun turrets, loads of vehicles and cool sniping points.

Just a shame I won't have broadband when it comes out on November 9th.
Thu 24/06/04 at 12:48
"I love yo... lamp."
I think so. Pick up the second gun with X, dual wield with Y and fire with L and R.

Of course that means I'll have to practise pressing Y as fast as possible so I can switch between dual guns and gun + grenades.
Thu 24/06/04 at 12:38
Regular
As pathetic as it sounds, duel wielding sounds pretty awesome. Don't you use each shoulder button for each weapon?
Thu 24/06/04 at 12:32
"I love yo... lamp."
They released a 160 MB video of the single player mode ages ago. It is supposedly bigger than before and has a few new things. Master Chief can now weild two guns at the one time if they are single handed guns. In other words, twin SMGs. He can hijack Ghosts in mid flight. There are new Covenant species. Better graphics, better AI, better everything.

It appears to be a marked improvement on the orginal Halo. Bungie aren't stupid. 7 million people bought Halo, just under 1 million have Live. That means there are an awful lot of people who will only play single player or multiplayer via split screen. Or system link.
Thu 24/06/04 at 12:27
Regular
I personally found MP's controls satisfactory. They took a little getting used to, due to the lack of a second stick, but I'm quite good on it now I've mastered the control method.
Thu 24/06/04 at 12:27
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Rickoss wrote:
> I just hope that, for someone without Live, Halo 2 is still worth it.

Me too, all I seem to be hearing about this game at the moment is just related to the online modes. The only stuff I saw from E3 was just Live demos, totally neglecting those who don't have Live who wanted to see single-player stuff.

Is there much info about the single-player mode yet?
Thu 24/06/04 at 12:23
Regular
I just hope that, for someone without Live, Halo 2 is still worth it. I can't help but feel I'd be better off getting MP2 if I want an offline experience because I loved the first. But that's already pre-ordered, so shush.

I suppose no one will know until they're both released and even though I am looking forward to HL2 more, I'll probably end up pre-ordered Halo 2 first. I have a feeling there's going to be a very lengthy wait for the XBox version.

Oh, and this...

Damarus wrote:
> I wasn't expecting it to be a traditional FPS but I was expecting it to > have better controls.

...is ridiculous. MP does have good controls, but like I said, perhaps not if you were expecting FPS controls. Play through the whole thing and then tell me it would be better with duel analogue control.
Thu 24/06/04 at 09:33
Regular
The biggest dilemma I'll have on Halo 2 launch day will be which mode to play on first - Solo or Live :D

I too will end up getting both games and enjoying them both (I'd say complete both but I never finished Half Life 1 due to getting stuck somewhere and giving up).

Looks like 2004 is/has been the biggest year for games yet!
Thu 24/06/04 at 09:28
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
At the end of the day I'm going to buy them both, complete them both, and enjoy them both. But the only one I'll play any serious multiplayer on is Halo 2 - system link. Haven't got Live and don't intend to yet. If Half Life 2 offers a decent multiplayer game online, then I'll probably give it a go, but there's no actual reason for Half Life 2 multiplayer - unless it revolves around teams of Combine soldiers, and you can choose them or aliens.

Half Life 2 is unique because you play the game completely as one person, from one perspective. That's the human touch that the developers have improved upon with the enhanced facial animations, skin layers, etc. The online will be a tack-on to give it a wider appeal, but there won't be any reason for it.

Now, Halo 2, you can be the f**king Elites, man! That changes the whole game dynamic of the battles, as you're not just fighting other Spartans in "training sessions". You actually have proper enemies to identify with (along with custom armour), and they've changed CTF to make it more Assault-like (one flag, taking turns to capture/defend). That's taking a risk and making real innovation in gameplay, as the existing network of Halo players will have to learn new levels AND how to play as teams properly.
Wed 23/06/04 at 22:24
Regular
"8==="
Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 are not out yet.

The proof will be in the playing.

Although I'm a Live nut so you can guess which one I'll be getting first.

From a Live perspective I'm looking forward to Doom 3, Conker and some MMORPG over Half-Life 2 simply because HL2 is likely to have no Live play and will no doubt be on Xbox 2.

It'll still be great and I will get it, but Live comes first for me at the moment which is why my Cube's gone and why I have yet to play the Cube Zelda games because when the N64 was cutting edge console-wise, they were good, now I've moved on*.

*I intend to move slightly back at some point though. :)
Wed 23/06/04 at 22:14
Regular
That too, but I was referring to the "Halo ain't all that" / "MP ain't a FPS" / "MP > Halo" argument.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.