GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BEST. E3. EVER!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/05/04 at 21:14
Regular
Oh my dear god, this is the msot surprising, wonderful and 'Nintendo' E3 ever, and let me remidn you people that it hasn't even started yet.

Just as I was starting to doubt Nintendo they come and complete steal the show. The DS looks brilliant, and at £100 should beat the PSP hands down (on paper, anyway) and I think the new Zelda style could just give the Cueb the revival it needs.

Anyway, I'm gonna shut up and gawp and Zelda pics.
Wed 12/05/04 at 14:50
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> It's a lot more complicated than that... four player wouldn't work too
> well.
>
> Handhelds are the future... but discs are disasterous.

The PSP discs are like a DVD equivalent to mini-discs, which are far from disasterous.
Wed 12/05/04 at 15:52
"I love yo... lamp."
Edgy wrote:
> So you're rating a handheld console's image based on one game?

No not entirely. I'm comparing the companies though. Sony and their Playstation tend to have more adult games than Nintendo do. Nintendo target kids, not adults.
>
> As much as I wouldn't use a handheld games console to pull, I think
> girls are going to be more attracted to the more cartoony games
> showing a more feminine side than a racing game which would probably
> be classified as "Boys stuff"

Nope. Gay jokes abound. I'd rather a woman saw me and thought typical guy than guy playing with kids toys. Sure it would be a generalisation on her part, but it happens. And if that generalisation occurs when I'm playing Mario or something I never get a chance to correct it now do I?
>
> Don't get me wrong, what you play at home, on a routine train
> journey, etc, is up to you. But why would you be sat alone at a
> coffee house? Surely it's about as good as having the same drink at
> home? But that is another debate.

Beanscene do choc mint lattes. I neither have a latte machine nor choc mint syrup. Also I frequently meet Algy there, but he's always late. Hence I have 15-20 minutes to kill fairly often. Sometimes I get a paper. Sometimes I read Dilbert on WAP. If there were handheld games that appealed to me I'd play them.

Dringo wrote:
> And... more to the point... why the hell are they using discs in a
> handheld...
>
> Could this destroy them?

I doubt it very much. Using optical discs will make for cheaper media costs. Cartridges cost pounds. CDs cost pennies. UMD discs are just optical discs in a plastic caddy to prevent scratching.

Sure you might think of the battery life, but nowadays they can make much better batteries. If you can keep a whole laptop running for 3 hours and it has a DVD drive, fan on the heatsink above the processor, floppy drive, hard drive and a much larger screen to power... One UMD drive won't be so bad.

Bonus wrote:
> Either you are a pleb or I am very lucky, but my girlfriend loves
> playing Mario Advance 4 blah blah.

Lucky. No, scratch that, your the pleb! Git.

> So, not cool to be seen gaming? I think you'll be surprised at how
> many students go for a PSP, plays games, movies, listen to music,
> camera, internet possibly all in a hand held. One of these replaces
> about 40 other devices, student loans at the ready :D
>
> WiFi GT4 in a lecture, I WANT ONE TOO :D

Yeah that is the other benenfit of the PSP. It does more things. Sure, so does the N-Gage, but it was a bit of a disaster. Sony will manage to implement this somewhat better. Say what you like about the PS2 etc, but their hi-fi and TVs etc are all top notch.

If I could get rid of carrying around an MP3 player (which I currently do carry around) and could get something that could possibly fulfill most of the uses I would need of a PDA, i.e. email on the move, then bingo it goes from being a decent looking handheld to a fantastic piece of kit.
Wed 12/05/04 at 15:56
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> It's a lot more complicated than that... four player wouldn't work
> too
> well.
>
> Handhelds are the future... but discs are disasterous.
>
> The PSP discs are like a DVD equivalent to mini-discs, which are far
> from disasterous.

I didn't say they were small... but imagine carrying a load of discs around as opposed to didi carts...

Hope they don't get scratched or break!

Naturally major battery life problem.
Wed 12/05/04 at 15:57
Regular
The DS potentially allows for email on the move.
Wed 12/05/04 at 16:00
"I love yo... lamp."
Dringo wrote:
> I didn't say they were small... but imagine carrying a load of discs
> around as opposed to didi carts...
>
> Hope they don't get scratched or break!
>
> Naturally major battery life problem.

They come in a plastic caddy. Like the magnetic part of a floppy disk is in a caddy.

And no, not as big a battery life issues as you might think. A single class one laser doesn't really take up that much power. Battery technology has made a few leaps in recent years. I already said as much below.

Edgy wrote:
> The DS potentially allows for email on the move.

We'll see about that. It would be good if they did, but this is Nintendo who aren't big on online systems. The only reason they are putting it in is because they realise if they don't then they are going to get left behind.
Wed 12/05/04 at 16:16
Regular
Writing an email on the move without a keypad or a number pad with letters will just be plain wrong.

That would be painstakingly tiresome, not to mention damn annoying.

I think writing emails would be much better done on an NGage than a DS or a PSP, unless some sort of mini keyboard attachment comes along.

Surfing the internet the way I was meaning would be to simply look at the news, or watch movie trailers :D
Wed 12/05/04 at 16:17
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> Writing an email on the move without a keypad or a number pad with
> letters will just be plain wrong.
>
> That would be painstakingly tiresome, not to mention damn annoying.

What about through electronic handwriting/ digital ink? It's already in use now with Tablet PCs.
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Attachable keyboards, maybe?
"I love yo... lamp."
Ericsson released one for their phones a few years back. Worked pretty well actually.
Wed 12/05/04 at 16:25
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:

>
> Edgy wrote:
> The DS potentially allows for email on the move.
>
> We'll see about that. It would be good if they did, but this is
> Nintendo who aren't big on online systems. The only reason they are
> putting it in is because they realise if they don't then they are
> going to get left behind.

That was one of their big announcements. Wi-Fi technology.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.