GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BEST. E3. EVER!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/05/04 at 21:14
Regular
Oh my dear god, this is the msot surprising, wonderful and 'Nintendo' E3 ever, and let me remidn you people that it hasn't even started yet.

Just as I was starting to doubt Nintendo they come and complete steal the show. The DS looks brilliant, and at £100 should beat the PSP hands down (on paper, anyway) and I think the new Zelda style could just give the Cueb the revival it needs.

Anyway, I'm gonna shut up and gawp and Zelda pics.
Wed 12/05/04 at 00:11
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> I have to say, while the cel engine was fantastic, this realistic look
> is much preferred.

Disagree.

Although I've now already experienced Cel-shaded.

I see the initial response is different.
Wed 12/05/04 at 00:18
"I love yo... lamp."
It will be a good E3. A fairly strong showing from Nintendo, especially with what appears to be the definitive Zelda of all time. This is what it always needed.

But the DS looks rubbish. Hardware side of it sounds powerful, but I have doubts about how good the two screens will be implemented, at least outside of Nintendo games, and I don't really like handheld Nintendo games. The PSP looks far more interesting to me. Gran Turismo 4 in your pocket? Yes please! Price is irrelevant for Sony seeing as they are "cool" and have the Playstation brand.

But game of the show I think will be Halo 2. Come on, if any of you have read up on it and watched the trailers, don't you wish you had it on the Gamecube? And if you say no, you are either fools or liars, because this is the type of game that the GC needs. It needs something more adult in style, and Nintendo thankfully realised this, hence the new direction for Zelda.
Wed 12/05/04 at 00:23
Regular
Either liars or not major X-box fans.

Not fussed with Halo 2 though I did look at Conker... slightly dissapointed with it.

As for the DS, the screenshot of it that is more of a computer designed model does look weird... and in compairson to the PSP rather dissapointing. But it looks pretty similar to the gorgeous SP... AND more to the point it looks pretty smart in the videos of the guy messing with it.

Besides Mario 64 and Metroid Prime (touchscreen game) looked so amazing I wanted to cry.

Now NB did you know that out of all forms of gaming, the most unpopular with the adult market is handheld...

So how the hell is Sony supposed to sell the PSP?
Wed 12/05/04 at 00:34
"I love yo... lamp."
I'm pretty happy with Conker actually. It's Rare beginning to do something useful with the Xbox other than keep MS off their backs.

Admittedly Mario 64 on a handheld would be fun, and so would Metroid. But I don't want Pokemon, or Kirby or 2D SNES Mario ports. Hence why GT4 on a handheld excites me.

And yes I do know that handheld gaming is least popular with adults. That is what Sony is banking on. Because they have a whole lot more money to waste on stuff than kids do. 10 years ago adults didn't play video games either, until the PS came along.

Right now handhelds are sold to kids aged 8-14 and a few hard core gamers. You'd agree with that in general I take it?

Sony will come along and carpet bomb the media with adverts, that's what they do, and they are good at it. Those older teens and adults will know about the PSP and it will be "cool". Hence some of them will buy it. These are the people who could have bought an N-Gage if it had worked properly when it first came out.

The DS will still sell to the 8-14 year olds. The worry with that is that they end up taking sales away from the GBA and GBA 2, as opposed to gaining the later teens as customers. For the DS to really succeed, as opposed to moving sales about a bit, it needs to attract people who were gamers on the N64, but who never bought a hand held because it was too geeky to play games after 17 years old.

In other words the DS has to target the people who owned an N64 but were too old to enjoy Pokemon. Some of these will have stayed with Ninendo and become GC owners, in which case they possibly have a GBA. Others will have migrated to the Xbox and PS2 and THEY are the makers and breakers of the DS.

The DS needs to get some of the PSPs market or else it will simply end up with too low a user base. Because it won't reach the heights of the GBA, too late for that.
Wed 12/05/04 at 03:39
Regular
All Nintendo need is wireless Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and a strong advertising campaign and they'll give Sony more than a fight this time round.

I think pricing was the biggest crippler in the PS Vs N64 battle along with lack of N64 games and Sony's advertising and third party seduction.
Compare Mario 64 to any PS game (let alone PS games of early 1996) and the PS game comes of as unplayable!
Wed 12/05/04 at 11:42
Regular
Strafio wrote:
> All Nintendo need is wireless Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and a strong
> advertising campaign and they'll give Sony more than a fight this
> time round.

The amazing thing is - that is entirely possible with Rare being allowed to develop for handhelds!

Even Microsoft would benefit from it.

Goldeneye is less likely than Perfect Dark though, due to EA currently having rights to the James Bond license, however a bit of renaming and Rare might still get away with it.

But I'm not going to hold my breath for either...
Wed 12/05/04 at 12:29
Regular
I tell you what NB, as proud as I am of my gaming heritage... and as happy as my mates are to play on their PS2's...

They wouldn't see dead hauling around a £200 handheld gaming system to play in the pub.

Yeah sure the lads don't mind playing games, but how many chat up lines do you hear to a woman saying "I was playing GT4 the other day"...

Men are driven by Women (and vice versa but I won't go into that) and so therefore they leave their gaming at home, in their bedroom. I've seen people mocked for playing phone games.... it is not cool to play games... even the Playstation brand is not 'really' cool. Cooler than Nintendo but not cool.

I would not be seen dead in a pub, or in the park... playing on my GBA... what if someone saw me?
Wed 12/05/04 at 13:07
"I love yo... lamp."
I was never talking about deliberately carting around with you on a night out. Say I've been at work all day, I'm on my way home and stop in at one of my favourite coffee houses. So I'm in Beanscene (I'd have said Kshocolat since it is far superior, but ever since I sponatenously proposed to the manageress after the best latte of all time they sort of expect weird things off of me) and I feel like a game of GT4. Well I wouldn't mind being seen playing it. A DS and people would think it a bit weird, but not a PSP.

Of course if the rumours are to be believed I could even watch movies on the new UMD format. Difference is 1) I'm not out on the pull 2) I'm not embarassed by a rather good looking piece of hardware, most women wouldn't know what it was and think it a PDA or something 3) I would most likely be able to play biggerer and cleverer games as it were. Yes I know, biggerer hurt my eyes as well.

But quite simply with a DS unless Nintendo target it to older people as well, I'd end up looking like I was playing a two screened Game Boy. GT4 is considerably cooler than Mario in most peoples eyes.
Wed 12/05/04 at 13:55
Regular
So you're rating a handheld console's image based on one game?

As much as I wouldn't use a handheld games console to pull, I think girls are going to be more attracted to the more cartoony games showing a more feminine side than a racing game which would probably be classified as "Boys stuff"

Don't get me wrong, what you play at home, on a routine train journey, etc, is up to you. But why would you be sat alone at a coffee house? Surely it's about as good as having the same drink at home? But that is another debate.
Wed 12/05/04 at 14:03
Regular
GT is not that good either. It is a simulator for modifying and racing cars. I have GT3, and I did not think it was any good. It is all the same again and again. Buy a car, modify it and race other cars. If I even would bother to buy GT4 I would buy it on the PS2 since the PSP version will probably be GT4: Prologue. Mario Kart gives me much more fun than GT4. My choice right now is the DS.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.