GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Perfect Dark 2: A THIRD person shooter?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/07/01 at 12:18
Regular
Details leaked from a Rare insider are rather surprising, but aparently the sequel to Rares excellent First Person Shooter is to be 3rd person.

This shouldn't really come as too much of a shock, given Rares track record. They're not a company that likes your typical sequel, just look at the way that Donkey Kong changed for his N64 release, look at the complete change of style between Diddy Kong Racing and Donkey Kong Racing.

So what can we expect from PD2? Apparently it will be touted as a Metal Gear Solid 2 beater, with even greater interaction, stunning graphics, and superb level design.

It certainly is an exciting prospect, and if it proves true then it could be a very, very special game.
Fri 20/07/01 at 22:37
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I disagree Strafex. Comparing Rare to Core is a little unfair and disrespectful in my opinion! The clear difference between the two is that one makes consistently original games while the other is in it for the money (even Galleon looks fairly similar to Tomb Raider).
If Rare are actually wanting to turn good old Joanna into a Lara Croft, the future of gaming is very grim indeed.

Do you see?
Fri 20/07/01 at 20:39
Regular
I think I know why Rare are doing this. They want to make a Lara Croft style character out of Joanna.

You make characters famous if you can hardly see them in game. If they want Joanna Dark to be a household name then being able to see her in game is essential.

Personally I think that they can make a good job out of it.
There'll be plenty of third party companies making PD clones so it'll be something new and refreshing.

Also, the Jet Force Jemini's ingenious control system hasn't been widely used. It worked a treat on Jet Force itself and I think it also has potential for a more realistic PD setting too.

It also allows for a bit of platforming and some MGS style stealth too.
Fri 20/07/01 at 17:24
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
I totally agree with you klik, metal gear solid and perfect dark are great games, but bring them together and you have a problem I think there is a reason why there was an option to play mgs1+2 in first peson mode, because its a 3rd person game, the same with perfect dark its a 1st person game these are too very different views and it just wouldent work, and the guy who said the 3rd person view in duke nukum was good was wrong, I bet you dident do the whole game in that view did'cha.
Thu 19/07/01 at 18:33
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
No, no, no, no and NO! Rare, if you're reading this (which I'm sure you're not), DON'T make PD2 a 3rd person shooter. Sure, there are some advantages about playing in a 3rd person perspective but the diadvantages are far too damaging to:
a)the success of the game
b)Rare's (almost) immpeccable reputation)
The main disadvantage I'm thinking of is the camera system. This wouldn't be a problem if the developer could get the damn thing right but, with all due respect to Rare, I honestly can't remember the last time I played a game with a decent camera system. This is certainly an aspect that Rare need to work on as this problem bugged almost-classic games such as Banjo_Kazooie and even its sequel. I remember reading the same kind of complaints from E3 reports of Kameo and Star Fox Adventures - both Rare games. i totally agree with the person who wrote about 'If it ain't broke etc...'. Rare have made classics out of Goldeneye and PD2 and i believe this is partly due to the 1st-person perspective.
The only possible reason I can think that they might want to change to 3rd person is if they are changing their popular gaming formula to (as someone mentioned earlier) MGS2. If, however, its still gonna be a case of blasting baddy after baddy (not that I'm saying that's all there is to these games), you can't beat 1st person.
Perfect Dark 2 shouldn't be Metal Gear Solid 3, it should be Perfect Dark 2.
Thu 19/07/01 at 16:18
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
i only know what I have read in these forums but im gonna go on a few sites to check it out!!
Thu 19/07/01 at 13:27
Regular
"not dead"
Um, here's a quick question, but has anyone seen any other news based upon PD2 being a 3rd person shooter?

I'd like more info....
Thu 19/07/01 at 13:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I would love several different views, but this does damp down the realism of the game - Since when coukd you see the back of your own head?
Wed 18/07/01 at 23:32
Regular
i think if it is in the 3rd person view it have to be a outstanding game for it to have a huge success. As meka said in the original post, it is being touted as a MGS2 beater. Again we are creating hype around a game, and comparing it already to another game that hasnt even been released! We look too far into the future, why? beacsue we are not satisfied with what we have in the present? i dunno, where will it end....
Wed 18/07/01 at 23:00
All I'm saying is the more views there are, the better.
Wed 18/07/01 at 19:29
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
and then hidden and dangerous had three different views including 1st person and that did work very well, but it is a totally different game to perfect dark and I am still concerned about the multi-player, but thinking about if it is like metal gear solid, on-line play would work better then the operation winback muli-player did, as you wouldent be able to look at the other screens to find out where people were?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.