GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"For Tony, Ali and Notables"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/06/01 at 11:37
Regular
Please, unless you're one of the above, please dont spam this thread with nonsense, I just want opinions from these guys on the following:

I’ve been reading through the posts concerning how the forums have fallen recently, pointless topics etc and spamming from newbies just to get their stats up.
RBS suggested it should it based on time, not word counts and that’s cool.

I would also like to suggest that you use Moderators for the forums.
One or two people per forum that are able to monitor and/or modify posts.
Be it deleting or simply closing a thread to prevent anymore posts on something considered futile.
Be the moderators Notable or regulars that are respected and counted with expertise in particular forum topics.
For example, Sonic and Bonus are tech wizards, Grix seems to know Nintendo etc etc and I know movies and music.

I’m not saying Moderators should take over from SR web staff, it would just remove some pressure from you guys to monitor and check each thread, regulars you can trust and spend most of their day in here (being at work with nothing else to do etc) and can make sure their “allocated forum” maintains some degree of interest.

No idea if it would work, but I’ve seen moderators on other forums and it seems to work pretty well there.

Just an idea
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:57
Regular
Nah, some newbies write good stuff because they are trying to win a GAD, and then the mindless chatter persuades them to stay, taking me as an example!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Bonus wrote:
> Right, time out. I was just stirring this up a bit, to show you
> what would happen, I definately agree with seperating the chat from
> the good topics, but what you cannot do is just say to people, you
> can't do that. Anyway, would we have had any decent suggestions
> without a Devil's Advocate??

I think moderators will be a bad idea, but not allowing newbis to post is pure genius. All newbies naturally hate this, but the regulars, and notables who are unbiased think it's great. Let's face it, almost all crap topics are posted by newbies.
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:33
Regular
Right, time out. I was just stirring this up a bit, to show you what would happen, I definately agree with seperating the chat from the good topics, but what you cannot do is just say to people, you can't do that. Anyway, would we have had any decent suggestions without a Devil's Advocate??
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:06
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I'm not sure moderators are totally neccessary, or even that much of a benefit to FOG, and perhaps the rest of the SR forums too.

The thing is, Mod's usually only do things like delete abusive posts, or ones with innapropriate content (eg racist remarks). On FOG, it seems the only problem we have is some of the posts being, basically, rubbsih. A lot of the less useful posts you couldn't really classify as spam, either. So the thing is, you can't really delete a lot of these because they're not strictly 'bad'. They tend to have some content, even if it's only a chat between a couple of members.

If you have mods delete/close posts because they think something is trivial (or futile, as you put it), you're going to cause problems. It means someone is taking responsibility to make judgements on the quality of a post, which isn't really doing anything wrong. The problem isn't the chat/futile/aimless posts individually, it's the fact there are so many of them.

Already bonus has been flying of the hinges by interpreting your post as a restriction of his freedom. What would happen if this were taken further?
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:04
Regular
I didn't take it personally, I gave my opinion, I do not think that anyone should be singled out or prevented from airing opinions, have SR not used ideas put forward by normal regulars, and even run competitions for people to put forward their ideas?
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Bonus wrote:
> Goatboy, with this being a discussion topic, trying to close
> yourself into an elite corner with the notables and staff is a
> little silly, because people like me do not appreciate being told
> they cannot air an opinion.

Ok, what is it that you dont get about this?
It was a post to and for SR and Notable to see what they thought, because ultimately they have say in what gets done.
I do not consider my part of an elitist group, and to suggest that is both wrong and insulting as you know nothing about me.
I have not dictated to anyone at all, it was a mere request.
When it came to Notable election, I made no effort to get nominated because I don't seek approval or justification from anyone for my standing in life.
This was a simple suggestion to the staff and Notables as to what they thought. Get it? What THEY thought.
Not because I want to be in some little gang on a computer, but because they run things and I value their opinion.

Quite frankly, whether you feel appreciative or not is something I dont care about. This topic wasnt to you, and yet you and Sonic both added relevant stuff. Cool, fantastic.
But when I ask if we can keep this clear for the people it was intended for? You start feeling oppressed and hard done by?
Get over it.
This didnt start off as an attack on you, as I value your posts, however, when you start to get heated over something I wasn't even doing in the 1st place?
Fine, post what you want where you want, makes no difference to me.

But if you cant differentiate between a polite "please, let's keep this clear" and "I DEMAND YOU DO NOT POST IN HERE BECAUSE I AM OPPRESSING YOU" then I think you maybe need to calm down, take a breath and realise that nobody is telling you what to do at all.
The forum is all about posting and personal expression, agreed.
However, that also applies to me POLITELY asking if we can ALL stop posting so as to not flood this topic.

Sorry Grix, but this isn't going to just
> disappear, I will not be publically smacked and expected to just
> shut up

Oh, but I'm expected to let you start having a pop at me?
I have to just sit back and start listening to you trying to tell me I'm dictating and I'm not allowed to reply?

Poke that argument somewhere soft mate, you started by lecturing me on dictating and wishing to be of "an elite".
I responded and you get airy?
That's life, dont expect to be able to label someone and then get moany when they reply.

Deal with it or post somewhere else.
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:49
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Bonus wrote:

"you do make a good point arguing about who can
> post is a little silly"

That was your longest reply to this
> topic, and has nothing at all to do with the topic. If you want to
> start a bickering contest, go start a topic on the chat forum.

OK, I will.
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:47
Regular
Bonus wrote:

"you do make a good point arguing about who can post is a little silly"

That was your longest reply to this topic, and has nothing at all to do with the topic. If you want to start a bickering contest, go start a topic on the chat forum.
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:37
Regular
Goatboy, with this being a discussion topic, trying to close yourself into an elite corner with the notables and staff is a little silly, because people like me do not appreciate being told they cannot air an opinion. On the topic of respect, I respect people opinion's not the "requests" being put forward to elitise thes forums.

Sorry Grix, but this isn't going to just disappear, I will not be publically smacked and expected to just shut up, although you do make a good point arguing about who can post is a little silly, because people can post when they want where they want.
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:37
Regular
From now on though, try your best to only show the sentence you are refering too... it will cut down on unneccessary long posts, which is also a big problem.

The ones packt full of information are good, but it's pointless to just keep repeating what someone else has said before.

So PLEASE, just select the sentence you are refering too... it's a big problem, all these unneccessary long posts.

;0)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.