GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"For Tony, Ali and Notables"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/06/01 at 11:37
Regular
Please, unless you're one of the above, please dont spam this thread with nonsense, I just want opinions from these guys on the following:

I’ve been reading through the posts concerning how the forums have fallen recently, pointless topics etc and spamming from newbies just to get their stats up.
RBS suggested it should it based on time, not word counts and that’s cool.

I would also like to suggest that you use Moderators for the forums.
One or two people per forum that are able to monitor and/or modify posts.
Be it deleting or simply closing a thread to prevent anymore posts on something considered futile.
Be the moderators Notable or regulars that are respected and counted with expertise in particular forum topics.
For example, Sonic and Bonus are tech wizards, Grix seems to know Nintendo etc etc and I know movies and music.

I’m not saying Moderators should take over from SR web staff, it would just remove some pressure from you guys to monitor and check each thread, regulars you can trust and spend most of their day in here (being at work with nothing else to do etc) and can make sure their “allocated forum” maintains some degree of interest.

No idea if it would work, but I’ve seen moderators on other forums and it seems to work pretty well there.

Just an idea
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:56
Regular
Time would be good but the overall quality would be even better! Than they would have to post only Game topics that are not a waste of time!
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:52
Regular
"not dead"
The forums have gotten so popular lately, and it's difficult to keep up with what's going on.

I really don't know what the way ahead is, but I think that it boils down to the fact that too many new threads are started that have no merit.

Surely stopping newbies from starting new threads wil bring the amount of new topics down, but would it also defeat the object and discourage them from coming here at all?

Maybe we could make a start on getting thigs back to how they should be by starting some gaming related posts.

Anyone that responds with 'We've already done this' should be given a slap too! If you don't want to talk about gaming anymore, talk about films on the DVD Movies and Music forum, or football in the sport forum. Don't bother posting in threads if you've got nothing of interest to say either.

Maybe if some of the banner ads highlighted other forums? It might make the Nintendo and PS forums more busy, and these less so...?
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:47
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Excellent topic...well done to yourself RBS, and who ever else has thought of these ideas.

Personally, I quite like the idea of moderators. These should be elected (2 per room) by the regs and notables. As always, the staff will have a final say on these.

These people will have the ability to delete any posts that they see fit (if they both agree to it), and will be people through which all complaints and queries about the topic in question would be handled.

Mods should be re-voted in every few months

Sonic
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Please, unless you're one of the above, please dont spam this thread with nonsense, I just want opinions from these guys on the following:

I’ve been reading through the posts concerning how the forums have fallen recently, pointless topics etc and spamming from newbies just to get their stats up.
RBS suggested it should it based on time, not word counts and that’s cool.

I would also like to suggest that you use Moderators for the forums.
One or two people per forum that are able to monitor and/or modify posts.
Be it deleting or simply closing a thread to prevent anymore posts on something considered futile.
Be the moderators Notable or regulars that are respected and counted with expertise in particular forum topics.
For example, Sonic and Bonus are tech wizards, Grix seems to know Nintendo etc etc and I know movies and music.

I’m not saying Moderators should take over from SR web staff, it would just remove some pressure from you guys to monitor and check each thread, regulars you can trust and spend most of their day in here (being at work with nothing else to do etc) and can make sure their “allocated forum” maintains some degree of interest.

No idea if it would work, but I’ve seen moderators on other forums and it seems to work pretty well there.

Just an idea

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.