GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"For Tony, Ali and Notables"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/06/01 at 11:37
Regular
Please, unless you're one of the above, please dont spam this thread with nonsense, I just want opinions from these guys on the following:

I’ve been reading through the posts concerning how the forums have fallen recently, pointless topics etc and spamming from newbies just to get their stats up.
RBS suggested it should it based on time, not word counts and that’s cool.

I would also like to suggest that you use Moderators for the forums.
One or two people per forum that are able to monitor and/or modify posts.
Be it deleting or simply closing a thread to prevent anymore posts on something considered futile.
Be the moderators Notable or regulars that are respected and counted with expertise in particular forum topics.
For example, Sonic and Bonus are tech wizards, Grix seems to know Nintendo etc etc and I know movies and music.

I’m not saying Moderators should take over from SR web staff, it would just remove some pressure from you guys to monitor and check each thread, regulars you can trust and spend most of their day in here (being at work with nothing else to do etc) and can make sure their “allocated forum” maintains some degree of interest.

No idea if it would work, but I’ve seen moderators on other forums and it seems to work pretty well there.

Just an idea
Mon 11/06/01 at 19:37
Regular
You have better things to do, but you are the one who keeps this going, if you read the top line of your initial post, you made it public, notables and staff only!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 19:27
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> I think the idea's a great one but I feel that these aren't the kind
> of Forums that need Moderators. Like someone else said, we don't
> nned to be watched over like toddlers. We're all old enough to think
> for ourselves, and we should set our OWN guidelines but follow SR's
> rules.

It was me RBS!
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:58
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Bonus wrote:
if you took it literally then I am sorry that you are
> reading far too much into English literary techniques.

Don't ok?
Don't test me Bonus, I'm a good natured person, but don't try to play semantics and word games with me.

I want to keep this place as a nice family atmosphere, and I dont want to get drawn into fights.

Someone suggests I want to be in an elitist corner, I take that as an insult.
It is not English literary technique, that is saying something about me and I've responded.

You suggested I wish to be in some sort of clique, that's wrong. It was a suggestion to those that matter when it comes to making decisions on how this site is run.

Nobody else. Not because of some conspiracy or threat to civil liberties, but because anyone else's opinion doesnt matter at the end of the day.
They (not so much the notables) make the rules and I was offering an idea.
Not to you, not to anyone else here.

But you went down this whole "I feel oppressed" route, yelling that I shouldnt dictate that you can't post here.

I was asking, a simple and polite request.
End of story.
But now we are here, 3 pages down the road and getting into a pi**ing contest, when quite frankly I have better things to do with my time.

Thanks for your input Bonus.
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:50
Regular
"You've upset me"
I think the idea's a great one but I feel that these aren't the kind of Forums that need Moderators. Like someone else said, we don't nned to be watched over like toddlers. We're all old enough to think for ourselves, and we should set our OWN guidelines but follow SR's rules.
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I'd be a good mod. Let's face it. If I'm away for more than 18 hours, I start sweating!
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:45
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> From now on though, try your best to only show the sentence you are
> refering too... it will cut down on unneccessary long posts, which
> is also a big problem.

The ones packt full of information are
> good, but it's pointless to just keep repeating what someone else
> has said before.

So PLEASE, just select the sentence you are
> refering too... it's a big problem, all these unneccessary long
> posts.

;0)

Sure thing Mr Notable sir!

:-D

OK OK this is the last time!
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:40
Regular
Eh, no. I did not say anything personal about you, and it was not a personal attack upon you, you did appear to be trying to keep this topic between you, the notables and the staff, simply because you were, and this is what I used the metaphor of an elitist group to describe., if you took it literally then I am sorry that you are reading far too much into English literary techniques.
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
No I wasn't playing around with anyone.

And this topic has splurged to over 3 pages now with no comment or thought from the people I was originally (and here's the thing), posing a simple idea to for them to talk over.

And to be labelled a "dictator" or "wishing to be part of an elitist group" is offensive in the extreme.

I take great pride in being one of the most partisan people you will ever meet.
I defend and take more than a passing interest in freedom of speech, civil action and liberties and would not, for one second, tolerate an oppressive regime that sought to penalise or tread on people for posting thoughts.

Bonus, I didnt get the impression that you were playing Devil's Advocate at all, it was a purely personal slur on me with the "wishing to form an elitist group".

If you want to sit and discuss the abuse of civil liberties and the effect they have in regards to forums and freedom of speech on the net, email me and we'll do it on MSN until we're blue in the face mate.

I'm not having a pop, because quite frankly your opinion of me matters exactly zero.
I do not wish to start a flame war with a regular that, on numerous occasions and in this post at the start, I have admitted that I admired for intelligent and well documented posts on all matter of technical details.

But please, do not start with assumptions about me or my attitudes because you would be wrong.

Thank you for listening and I'm aware of the irony in continuing a thread politely asking for less postings so as not to clog it.
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:35
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
I know a lot of PC,DC and PS and have an extensive knowledge of Movies and Music. Just a bit of knowledge for you:

Pc:
Ram - Random Access Memory - runs at 100-1000 mhz

Dc:
Has a fan/56k modem - runs at approx 300mhz

Ps:
Runs at approx - runs at approx 100mhz

Movies:
Nicholas Cage - Con Air
JT Walsh ( rip) - Pleasantville,Sniper

Music:
Kurt Kobain - Nirvana - shot himself ( suicide )

That's just a minute sample of my knowledge. For a 12 year old, I am very smart and my IQ is one of the highest in the country ( probably ) for someone my age.

Can I be a mod please?
Mon 11/06/01 at 18:00
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Bonus wrote:
> Right, time out. I was just stirring this up a bit, to show you
> what would happen, I definately agree with seperating the chat from
> the good topics, but what you cannot do is just say to people, you
> can't do that. Anyway, would we have had any decent suggestions
> without a Devil's Advocate??

I wouldnt worry too much man...

I highly suspect GoatBoy himself was just playing around with you, stirring you up a bit...

Hes used the 'you know nothing about me so you cant judge me' speech too often for it to be taken too seriously :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.