GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Impressed by Killzone"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Killzone'.
Sun 03/10/04 at 20:12
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Saw some videos of this a while back, and despite the hype of the supposed "Halo-beater" - that wasn't even finished, let alone out! - it looked a bit ass. But some more recent videos show that they've sorted out choppy framerates, and now it's looking excellent. Might have to keep an eye on this one...
Wed 13/10/04 at 14:02
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Darwock wrote:
> The thing that impressed me more than the graphics are
> the sound effects.. meaty or what!

Yep, those where the features that stood out the most for me. I'm still amazed that people criticize the PS2 for being old and decrepit when it can still produce games that look as good as Killzone. No slowdown either.

While I wasn't impressed with the demo I'll still be keen to try the full game to see if it's an improvement. I'm guessing the demo is an early version of the game, as tends to be the case with demo's.
Wed 13/10/04 at 13:55
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'll wait until the full game comes out before giving my opinion on it.
Wed 13/10/04 at 13:53
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I think the realism comments may come from those who are keen to compare it to Halo. In Halo you're like a super-being that is impeded by nothing, in Killzone as you noted the heavy weapons are heavy to carry, you can only sprint for short bursts etc. so it loses the manic action aspect of Halo. I can't comment on the AI as I've only played online. The thing that impressed me more than the graphics are the sound effects.. meaty or what!
Wed 13/10/04 at 13:34
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I played the demo over the weekend, Generic would be a good word to sum it up.

It played like any other bog standard shoot em up, walk on a linear path, shoot lots of enemies, collect ammo, walk some more, kill a few more soldiers blah blah blah.. Nothing struck out, it just felt utterly generic with no unique stand out features to make it feel any different from any number of equally fun but forgettable FPS.

Character movement felt as if you where constantly walking through sludge, not very helpful when battling against “X” number amount of simpleton military types. Speaking of which, the AI was nothing more than adequate. Enemies do the whole hiding in-between cover and throwing grenades, but that’s hardly groundbreaking, Half Life did that and it’s 8 years old. Your two team mates who accompany you don’t seem to mind letting you take a head full of lead either, trailing being you while barely offering any support whatsoever, in fact I forgot they where there most of the time, until they showed after I’d killed a dozen or so enemies and had my health almost completely reduced.

Whoever called this game realistic obviously hasn’t had much experience playing realistic games. It plays like every other FPS to have existed, running and gunning, killing wave upon wave of bland military stromtroopers who offer little challenge and who’s only method of attack seems to be to charging you en masse. Then there’s that whole body movement thing every time you reload a weapon, a nice novelty but I can see it getting old, fast.

Sure it was a demo level, and demo’s are hardly representative of the final game, however they do give a decent first impression of a game that movies and screenshots can’t, and so far I see nothing in Killzone that makes it the “Game of the Year” some PS2 mags have been screaming it will be.
Wed 13/10/04 at 10:28
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Ooh, touchy. Quality discussion going on here as always then!
Tue 12/10/04 at 21:42
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Asher wrote:
> I'm sorry if I offended your superior gaming opinion.
>
> Nerd.

:D
Tue 12/10/04 at 20:54
Regular
Darwock wrote:
>
> No you were adding an opinion OF previous experiences... you've never
> played Killzone so can't possibly comment one way or the other. It's
> that kind of nonsensical b*&$ocks that really makes this place
> the pits.

I'm sorry if I offended your superior gaming opinion.

Nerd.
Tue 12/10/04 at 12:46
Hmm, I guess centralisation is what it's all about these days.
Tue 12/10/04 at 12:10
Regular
lcarus wrote:
> Er, why the name change Alastair?

Same eBay alias, less complicated.
Tue 12/10/04 at 11:46
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I was addressing the post that came below that......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.