GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Final Fantasy XII"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/10/05 at 17:05
Regular
"You have a choice"
I have very mixed feelings about this.

I'm looking forward to it, because it's a Final Fantasy and I lvoe FF games. However, X and X-2 were a huge disappointment to me (Especially compared to VII and VIII). The story's have been weaker, the FMVs at the end (which I found were really rewarding in VII and VIII) were short and uninteresting, and the soundtracks (X was pretty good, but X-2 was disgusting!) have been poorer.

I was disappoiinted as well to hear Nobuo Uematsu won't be doing FFXII apart from 1 song, so we can expect not to hear the tunes that have become symbolic of FF (the Victory Fanfare for instace). The other thing that worries me is the absence of Random Battles. Real Time is good, but I come to associate Random Battles with Final Fantasy, and I loved them!

What do you think? Another scratch on the name of Final Fantasy? Or are we going to see a triumphant return to form for Sakaguchi and his team?

(also...release date anyone?)
Thu 03/11/05 at 11:29
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Lukeman wrote:
> FOUR PLAYER.....nah, that's the sort of thing you do in Mario or
> Timesplitters...it doesn't exact scream "epic adventure" at
> you, does it?

Since when has there been four player in Mario?

Unless you mean Kart or Party. But this is the PS2 forum. So, that's going off topic slightly.

CC looks fun in multiplayer, and I hope that I'll be Thundering you soon.
Thu 03/11/05 at 11:26
Regular
"You have a choice"
Rai wrote:
> Okay, my mission is set. I'll get CC when it becomes cheaper, and
> we'll have a four player game.

OK, THATS one of the things that bugs me about it!!!!

Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2 were ALL single player!!! Apart from a very very small function in IX.

FOUR PLAYER.....nah, that's the sort of thing you do in Mario or Timesplitters...it doesn't exact scream "epic adventure" at you, does it?
Thu 03/11/05 at 11:22
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Okay, my mission is set. I'll get CC when it becomes cheaper, and we'll have a four player game.

That'll shut us up.
Thu 03/11/05 at 11:21
Regular
"You have a choice"
Rai wrote:
> It didn't seem that bad. Tactics was fun, even.
>
> You just don't trust anything with the final fantasy name that
> doesn't have a number.

Tactics WAS fun! CC wasn't.

Well, as a standalone game I suppose it wasn't bad. If it was just called Crystal Chronicles, no problem.

But it...just WASN'T Final Fantasy... most FF fans on here will probably know what I mean.
Thu 03/11/05 at 11:19
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Lukeman wrote:
> Rai wrote:
> A la Crystal Chronicles?
>
> Blasphemer!!!!
>
> CC was a scar on the name of Final Fantasy (Spirits Within, anyone?)
> You notice how SE wasn't TOO desperate to bring out another FF for
> gamecube after the flop of that one? Still...at least they learn from
> their mistakes.
>
> ...
>
> ...
>
> Most of the time.

It didn't seem that bad. Tactics was fun, even.

You just don't trust anything with the final fantasy name that doesn't have a number.
Thu 03/11/05 at 11:10
Regular
"You have a choice"
Rai wrote:
> A la Crystal Chronicles?

Blasphemer!!!!

CC was a scar on the name of Final Fantasy (Spirits Within, anyone?) You notice how SE wasn't TOO desperate to bring out another FF for gamecube after the flop of that one? Still...at least they learn from their mistakes.

Most of the time.
Thu 03/11/05 at 11:05
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Lukeman wrote:
> Nom random battles will be very hard to adjust to, but It is still a
> "menu absed" battle system. ie. you select what
> magic/"gambits" you want to use from a menu and use them.
> Not like Star ocean where you have to assighn abilities before hand.
> I'm interested to find out if you can say, run away into a city mid
> battle. As you don't get transported into an arena, maybe you could
> fight any fight anyWHRE (maybe lure the big snake into a shop!). That
> might be cool.

A la Crystal Chronicles?
Thu 03/11/05 at 10:56
Regular
"You have a choice"
Nom random battles will be very hard to adjust to, but It is still a "menu absed" battle system. ie. you select what magic/"gambits" you want to use from a menu and use them. Not like Star ocean where you have to assighn abilities before hand. I'm interested to find out if you can say, run away into a city mid battle. As you don't get transported into an arena, maybe you could fight any fight anyWHRE (maybe lure the big snake into a shop!). That might be cool.
Thu 03/11/05 at 10:49
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Lukeman wrote:
> If I find dragon quest VIII cheap i kight get that too, it's supposed
> to be really good AND has playable FFXII demo i believe!

I'll need a demo, for 'non-turn-based-battle' consideration. My brother buys them when they come out, so I'll just play it when he's not around/tranquilized.
Thu 03/11/05 at 10:47
Regular
"You have a choice"
Amen Rai...amen.

Probs get it from SR, I must have this game on its release....*drools*.

If I find dragon quest VIII cheap i kight get that too, it's supposed to be really good AND has playable FFXII demo i believe!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.