GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NEW SITE FEATURES COMP - WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/01 at 17:01
Regular
HERE ARE THE RESULTS OF THIS COMPETITION. I have read ALL the entries!

A lot of entries mentioned things which have generally been discussed before or are in the pipeline. They include:
User Profiles
Polls
Walkthroughs and Game Guides
Highest Scores
Who is currently posting
Splash Plastic (which is too expensive for us to do)
Online Reddies
Logos and Ringtones (see UKphonetones.com)
Genre search for games
Tell a Friend.

It just goes to show how busy we are that we are unable to get many of the above into place. But hey, expenditure is controlled by income (hint).

I liked Darkness' idea about tutorials, and Mantis made the suggestion to have a "Gamesmaster" of the forums based on competitions for high scores.

Cookie Monster wants people to be able to promote their website (we already offer this for Freeola customers) and he also suggests that we have an office pet which is monitored with a web cam (brilliant).

Monkey_with_Attitude suggests a "most played games of the week" counter on UKgames.com.

Freak of the Dark says our logo should "move or something".

Turbonutter reckons we should run Flash games and this is supported by Shaneo who says we should run SR Arena and give prizes to the best players. Turbonutter also tells us that we are lacking on PC game specification of the type you find on the back of the box and Swish extends this to a link under each title.

CDouch is a "man of a thousand ideas", mostly on the button too. He lists: Information on gaming from around the world, more mini sites like UKgt3, kids corner, celebrity visits and better organised release info including more information on unreleased games (to name but a few of his suggestions).

The rules (written by Kendozod) state "exciting and would attract a lot of visitors".

THE WINNERS ARE:
CDouch for MORE INFORMATION ON UNRELEASED GAMES.
Turbonutter for FLASH GAMES.

Many thanks for all of your participation and, for the time being, I promise not to confuse the issue by holding any other similar competition.

All the obove written by Tony (The Judge)

Below are the original rules written by Kendozod

New Site Features.

Tony has let me loose to post a new and exciting competition!
So here goes:

This competition is for all of you to think up new features for our websites. We already have cheats, clips, demos, discussions etc but are there other features you would like us to add?

The aim here is for the feature to be low admin maintenance and low in cost (obviously!) but be exciting and would attract lots of visitors.

They can be fun, educational, business, reference, silly, cool - anything as long as they NOT sexual or violent in nature.

This competition is open for 1 month and the best ideas that we USE will win a game as part of GAMEADAY. If no ideas are used then I will pick 1 winner that I deem the best.

CLOSING DATE: 8th July 2001

So get thinking and posting. Remember, your suggestions could make a difference!
Page:
Thu 07/06/01 at 19:43
SR should create specific mailing lists, so that PC owners wouldn't have to trawl through stuff about the DC or PS. Having specific lists would allow people that only have one format to read the mail on a regular basis, instead of most people that delete the post whenever they receive it.
Thu 07/06/01 at 19:45
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
This suggestion may belong in more than one thread, and I will change accordingly. It even goes back to the axtra advertising Gameaday.

I recently learnt HTML through a great online tutorial. I soon mastered that, abnd decided that my brain could do with more of a challenge. So I decided to learn either PHP, c++ or Java. During my search for a tutorial I met a LOT of people who wanted to learn too. This is a great oppurtunity for SR to jump in. There is more than one thing you could do, as well:

1)When I was searching for tutorials, a lot of the sites were just small sites, with a list of useful programming links. I noticed that there were a lot of adverts on these sites, and that they had a lot of hits. I also found that the advertised sites were generating a lot of hits too. Perhaps Special reserve could advertise on here!

2)I also noticed that there were a lot of programming books available to buy. But a lot were from small companies I'd never heard of! And I wasn't going to risk buying from them. So, perhaps Special Reserve could sell some programming guides. This could be a new publicity sector 'bringing up the population into the digital age' or something. Remember it!

3)I also noticed in my search that a lot of the online 'tutorials' told you how to do one basic thing, and did not even explain how it worked. Special Reserve, with so many programmers in their midst, could put up their own tutorials. The, you could be linked from all these programming sites, as an actual useful link, not an unrelated advert. This could generate awareness from lots of people. You are well-known, so will be trusted, and if people see:
'Learn to program on www.Jimshomeprogramming.com'
or 'Learn from the Pros at Special reserve' Guess which one they'll chose! See what I mean?

SUMMARY: The best action for Special Reserve to take is to begin to make http://ukprogramming.com.
First put on a few tutorials to get started. Link to afew sites
Start to sell tutorials, more in depth ones. Link to more sites.
You become a comprehensive programming site, with tips, tutorials, maybe a special forum, and programming tool kits. You could even sell, or link to editors, and compilers!

Oh, and
4) A specific forum for programmers, where you can get help from each other. Webmaster could be putting in appearences, giving tips, as well as all those programming regulars!

This will generate a lot of traffic, and could make SR some more money too!

I think this is a great, original idea, and I think, there being a LOT of people who want to program, it will generate HUGE traffic, and if these people are really serious, it wont just be riff-raff, they'll be a useful addition to the SR community. Thanks, Darkness.
Thu 07/06/01 at 19:46
There should be member discounts based on the number of purchases made before, like bulk buying, with the discount increasing whenever you buy stuff, like a loyalty card thing.
Thu 07/06/01 at 19:51
Regular
"You've upset me"
That's the THIRD time you've posted that Dan!
Thu 07/06/01 at 21:24
Regular
If these have been said before....sorry but I haven't had chance to read this whole topic cos I've got Welsh revision to do tonight for a GCSE exam.....

Regulars Opinion Polls: Those who have been here long enough should have a small bit of webspace allocated for things like Opinion Polls. Regulars (and notables) could fill in a form (online) which will show the question, and the choice of answers for people to tick. This will show what users are interested in and may help SR to choose what products to discount even more!

Special Reserve Desktop goodies!: SR could have downloadable themes for Microsoft Windows plus and for those who don't have that (like me) they could have the screensavers, mouse icons, desktop wallpapers downloadable seperate. This would promote the company, especially if someone in an office at work put them up on their work computers! I know that I'd like something downloadable to personalise my computer...and the stuff at Nintendo.com is rubbish! Last time I looked it was "Little Mermaid"

Members fastest times!: For ALL games past and present, there should be a section on the SR network for UKdiscussion members to send in their high scores and fastest times. This would keep people at SR as they will keep checking to see if their scores have been beaten!
Thu 07/06/01 at 21:27
Regular
Uploads section: For those who have pictures sound files from their favourite films and games (to go with Gameaday and Filmaday)

UK discussion members could upload their files to share with everyone! However they would have to be free/shareware otherwise SR would have to take them off again....however if there was a disclaimer for that section.....

Game files!: For some reason, some people like to download other people's saved games from different PC games. Maybe this would be a good idea for SR to take up!
Thu 07/06/01 at 21:41
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Doh!

I was just thinkin of saying fastest scroes and times.
It is a great idea because people would always come back to see it they are top of the list.

This is different though.

SR challanges-how about sr sent a challange every month or so and people try it.

EG-get the highest score possable on the hanger level of Tony Hawks 2.

People would then go and try the challange and send a photo to SR with the highest score they could acheve.
The challange could be changed every month as I said, or even every 2 weeks.
It would be great because everyone would return to check the new challange and also to see if they won the last one.

If SR are feeling generous they could give a game away to the person who wins the challange, or they could get they name in a different colour and instead od "regular" or "newbie" under there name they could have GAMESMASTER.

I like this idea, what do you think?
Thu 07/06/01 at 21:47
Regular
I think the magazine Gamesmaster would have something to say about that....

But maybe giving the winners an award or something would be great!

Plus the challenges could carry on til Special REserve finally close down their shutters for the last time (hopefully never) So that if anyone does eventually beat the scores...they can at least get a certificate that they can keep to prove they've done it.
Thu 07/06/01 at 21:49
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Yes Edgy, games magasines run a very similer thing but there is not reason to say SR can't do it aswell.
Thu 07/06/01 at 22:04
Regular
I wasn't saying magazines do a similar thing! In fact Nintendo Official Magazine do it...but that's not the point!

You are definately slow to see what I meant!

Read the 2 messages before this one again!
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.