GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NEW SITE FEATURES COMP - WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/01 at 17:01
Regular
HERE ARE THE RESULTS OF THIS COMPETITION. I have read ALL the entries!

A lot of entries mentioned things which have generally been discussed before or are in the pipeline. They include:
User Profiles
Polls
Walkthroughs and Game Guides
Highest Scores
Who is currently posting
Splash Plastic (which is too expensive for us to do)
Online Reddies
Logos and Ringtones (see UKphonetones.com)
Genre search for games
Tell a Friend.

It just goes to show how busy we are that we are unable to get many of the above into place. But hey, expenditure is controlled by income (hint).

I liked Darkness' idea about tutorials, and Mantis made the suggestion to have a "Gamesmaster" of the forums based on competitions for high scores.

Cookie Monster wants people to be able to promote their website (we already offer this for Freeola customers) and he also suggests that we have an office pet which is monitored with a web cam (brilliant).

Monkey_with_Attitude suggests a "most played games of the week" counter on UKgames.com.

Freak of the Dark says our logo should "move or something".

Turbonutter reckons we should run Flash games and this is supported by Shaneo who says we should run SR Arena and give prizes to the best players. Turbonutter also tells us that we are lacking on PC game specification of the type you find on the back of the box and Swish extends this to a link under each title.

CDouch is a "man of a thousand ideas", mostly on the button too. He lists: Information on gaming from around the world, more mini sites like UKgt3, kids corner, celebrity visits and better organised release info including more information on unreleased games (to name but a few of his suggestions).

The rules (written by Kendozod) state "exciting and would attract a lot of visitors".

THE WINNERS ARE:
CDouch for MORE INFORMATION ON UNRELEASED GAMES.
Turbonutter for FLASH GAMES.

Many thanks for all of your participation and, for the time being, I promise not to confuse the issue by holding any other similar competition.

All the obove written by Tony (The Judge)

Below are the original rules written by Kendozod

New Site Features.

Tony has let me loose to post a new and exciting competition!
So here goes:

This competition is for all of you to think up new features for our websites. We already have cheats, clips, demos, discussions etc but are there other features you would like us to add?

The aim here is for the feature to be low admin maintenance and low in cost (obviously!) but be exciting and would attract lots of visitors.

They can be fun, educational, business, reference, silly, cool - anything as long as they NOT sexual or violent in nature.

This competition is open for 1 month and the best ideas that we USE will win a game as part of GAMEADAY. If no ideas are used then I will pick 1 winner that I deem the best.

CLOSING DATE: 8th July 2001

So get thinking and posting. Remember, your suggestions could make a difference!
Page:
Thu 07/06/01 at 17:01
HERE ARE THE RESULTS OF THIS COMPETITION. I have read ALL the entries!

A lot of entries mentioned things which have generally been discussed before or are in the pipeline. They include:
User Profiles
Polls
Walkthroughs and Game Guides
Highest Scores
Who is currently posting
Splash Plastic (which is too expensive for us to do)
Online Reddies
Logos and Ringtones (see UKphonetones.com)
Genre search for games
Tell a Friend.

It just goes to show how busy we are that we are unable to get many of the above into place. But hey, expenditure is controlled by income (hint).

I liked Darkness' idea about tutorials, and Mantis made the suggestion to have a "Gamesmaster" of the forums based on competitions for high scores.

Cookie Monster wants people to be able to promote their website (we already offer this for Freeola customers) and he also suggests that we have an office pet which is monitored with a web cam (brilliant).

Monkey_with_Attitude suggests a "most played games of the week" counter on UKgames.com.

Freak of the Dark says our logo should "move or something".

Turbonutter reckons we should run Flash games and this is supported by Shaneo who says we should run SR Arena and give prizes to the best players. Turbonutter also tells us that we are lacking on PC game specification of the type you find on the back of the box and Swish extends this to a link under each title.

CDouch is a "man of a thousand ideas", mostly on the button too. He lists: Information on gaming from around the world, more mini sites like UKgt3, kids corner, celebrity visits and better organised release info including more information on unreleased games (to name but a few of his suggestions).

The rules (written by Kendozod) state "exciting and would attract a lot of visitors".

THE WINNERS ARE:
CDouch for MORE INFORMATION ON UNRELEASED GAMES.
Turbonutter for FLASH GAMES.

Many thanks for all of your participation and, for the time being, I promise not to confuse the issue by holding any other similar competition.

All the obove written by Tony (The Judge)

Below are the original rules written by Kendozod

New Site Features.

Tony has let me loose to post a new and exciting competition!
So here goes:

This competition is for all of you to think up new features for our websites. We already have cheats, clips, demos, discussions etc but are there other features you would like us to add?

The aim here is for the feature to be low admin maintenance and low in cost (obviously!) but be exciting and would attract lots of visitors.

They can be fun, educational, business, reference, silly, cool - anything as long as they NOT sexual or violent in nature.

This competition is open for 1 month and the best ideas that we USE will win a game as part of GAMEADAY. If no ideas are used then I will pick 1 winner that I deem the best.

CLOSING DATE: 8th July 2001

So get thinking and posting. Remember, your suggestions could make a difference!
Thu 07/06/01 at 17:09
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
How abouit a competition forum?

Everytime a new GAD compo (like this one) is announced on FOG, its also linked to the compettion forum.

Both links would be to the same topic... so if anyone can make an entery into either the FOG forum or the Compo forums topic it would update both.

This would allow people to see what competitoins are currently running... and save any 'continious' compos from being lost, by running off the bottom of the page.

???
Thu 07/06/01 at 17:14
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
What about a high scores forum. This is where people could post high scores on popular games to see who is the best at them, for instance we could actually see if ssxpro is really good at his namesake game or whether it is just an idle boast. ;-) The only problem that might arrise is people just putting scores down that they did not get.
Thu 07/06/01 at 17:21
jd99 wrote:
> What about a high scores forum. This is where people could post
> high scores on popular games to see who is the best at them, for
> instance we could actually see if ssxpro is really good at his
> namesake game or whether it is just an idle boast. ;-) The only
> problem that might arrise is people just putting scores down that
> they did not get.

Watch this space...this idea is in product of sorts...
Thu 07/06/01 at 17:34
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Name That Game!

Now, here is a guessing game. SR can either find a game character, or a particular screen shot of a game, then disguise it. When I say disguise, I mean just make it blurry so you will have to spend a lot of time to try and guess what it could possible be.

So, once SR find the character/screen shot the viewer will have to try and guess which game it is from. You are allowed a total of 3 guesses, and if you do not guess right you loose and have to start again! However, if you win you can go onto the next level.

Maybe, once people start to use this cool game, you can set up a ratings board and show who are the people who got the furthest.

Once people start to use this game a lot, they will start to see it as a competition to see who can reach the number 1 spot!

This will be cheap, quick and fun to play!

Cheers.
Thu 07/06/01 at 17:36
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
kendozod wrote:
> jd99 wrote:
> What about a high scores forum. This is where
> people could post
> high scores on popular games to see who is
> the best at them, for
> instance we could actually see if ssxpro
> is really good at his
> namesake game or whether it is just an
> idle boast. ;-) The only
> problem that might arrise is people
> just putting scores down that
> they did not get.

Watch
> this space...this idea is in product of sorts...

Does that mean I win a game??? :-)
Thu 07/06/01 at 18:07
Regular
"everyone says it"
An 'About Me' page for every regular, basically each regular (and notable) in given the option to put as much or as little detail on this page as they choose, they could have

--email,
--a bit about them
--their favorite console
--how many GAD's
--how many FAD's
--post & word total
--picture? funny one or real!
--favorite websites...

Details like that, it would be great for the newbies to read up about each regular that they want!

Thanks
er-no
Thu 07/06/01 at 18:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
jd99 wrote:
> What about a high scores forum. This is where people could post
> high scores on popular games to see who is the best at them, for
> instance we could actually see if ssxpro is really good at his
> namesake game or whether it is just an idle boast. ;-) The only
> problem that might arrise is people just putting scores down that
> they did not get.

That was my idea, I did a whole topic on this idea! and got NO response from SR :(
Thu 07/06/01 at 18:09
Regular
"You've upset me"
I was about to suggest that Joby!
Thu 07/06/01 at 18:13
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
When you call up a game... as well as having the download, clip, etc... links have a link to the games homepage?
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.