GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Kanye West - My new hero"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/09/05 at 15:56
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
In light of the recent devastation down in New Orleans, and Bush's slowness in responding with anything other than flying over in a helicopter and hugging a couple of folks in Mississippi, NBC broadcast a benefit/donation show with loads of stars asking for help to be donated.
All goes well, donations come in.

Until Mike Myers & Kanye West do their bit in the studio.
Myers explaining what has happened, the destruction and lives lost.
Kanye West's turn comes up and he deviates from the autocue and delivers an unscripted outburst criticising Bush and the government for not doing anything in a system that "is set up to help the poor and the blacks as slowly as posisble" and pointing out that a third of the National Gaurd are in Iraq anyway, and that "they've given them permission to go down and shoot us"
Myers looking off-camera with a "Help" expression before attempting to steer it back on course, before West delivers his final statement. Cameras cut away to Chris Rock looking unprepared.

This segment was cut from the repeated broadcast by NBC who felt that "one persons comments shouldn't overshadow this tragedy"
Bear in mind that Kanye West was the biggest selling rap/RnB artist of last year and has a new album out to promote.
And he's risked that to deliver a genuinely angry, outraged statement that an awful lot of people are thinking but nobody is saying on the television.

Watch, enjoy and pass along as the largest selling recording Artist of 2004 alienates the Christian right-wing element of America by simply refusing to play along and speaking from his heart.
Outstanding and I'm buying his album purely to support somebody willing to risk **EDITED FOR THE BONUS OF BLANK** minor financial loss in the short term but possible gain when balanced against the projected earnings from previously unaware members of the public who wish to support somebody speaking out on National Television*** because they cant sit back and say nothing

[URL]http://gorillamask.net/kanyebush.shtml[/URL]
Mon 05/09/05 at 16:23
Regular
It's good to see someone in the sort of position Kanye is, using their voice for something other than financial gain for once. It's also amusing to see the kind of reactions his little speach has got from some Americans, especially on internet boards.
Mon 05/09/05 at 16:26
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I don't think I'm missing the point. It takes a lot of guts for someone in his position to speak out as he's done, undoubtedly. Yes, he's risking the success of his career, his reputation etc. But "complete financial ruin"? Going a bit far, I think. As you said, he's already had the year's biggest selling R and B album.

I'm not saying that he's already well off enough to not care about the consequences of his actions.
Mon 05/09/05 at 16:27
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'd never heard of Kayne West - till this. But I liked the outburst, because he's probably right.
Mon 05/09/05 at 16:29
Regular
I'm not sure it'll harm his career at all. I think the Dixie Chicks sell to a different demographic.

However, I'm sure that's not why he did it.

Actually, then again presumably the corporate side is as important as the audience reaction, if he gets stiffed by the radio stations etc it might cost him quite a bit.

Either way, I definitely have a much higher opinion of him now.
Mon 05/09/05 at 16:30
Regular
"Mozzy"
Kawada wrote:
> I think that's Chris Tucker not Chris Rock, pretty funny look on his
> face though when it cuts back.

Whats the difference, they're both funny. :D
Mon 05/09/05 at 16:34
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Mozzy wrote:
> Kawada wrote:
> I think that's Chris Tucker not Chris Rock, pretty funny look on his
> face though when it cuts back.
>
> Whats the difference,

One's Chris Rock the other isn't :-D

> they're both funny. :D

Very true, although Dave Chappelle beats both of them i think
Mon 05/09/05 at 16:34
Regular
"Mozzy"
[URL]http://www.big-boys.com/articles/kanye.html[/URL]

This is a better clip, and it's got Chris Tucker saying stuff too.
Mon 05/09/05 at 16:37
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Blank wrote:
> Yes,
> he's risking the success of his career, his reputation etc. But
> "complete financial ruin"? Going a bit far, I think.

If you've ever listened to any Kanye West songs you'll already know that he has huge hang ups about "the oppression of the black man", so it's really not surprising to see that he feels this way.

In fact, I'm betting that he's voicing the opinions of a very large number of Americans right now, which can only be good for him. Also remember that he's a rap artist, and they thrive on controversy, so the sales of his latest album will probably skyrocket thanks to this publicity. Obviously there will be a lot of patriotic white americans who get all up in arms about it, but it's doubtful that they'd ever heard of him before this anyway.
Mon 05/09/05 at 16:39
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
gerrid wrote:
> In fact, I'm betting that he's voicing the opinions of a very large
> number of Americans right now, which can only be good for him. Also
> remember that he's a rap artist, and they thrive on controversy, so
> the sales of his latest album will probably skyrocket thanks to this
> publicity. Obviously there will be a lot of patriotic white americans
> who get all up in arms about it, but it's doubtful that they'd ever
> heard of him before this anyway.

Well, exactly. I can't see "complete financial ruin" even as a worst case scenario.
Mon 05/09/05 at 16:41
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The worst thing that will happen is political pressure will stop some of the more commercial stations playing his new songs for a while, but the publicity from being on every news channel in the country will probably overshadow that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.