GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Northern Ireland vs England"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/09/05 at 21:52
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
After Englands lackluster performance in the last 2 games will they win?

I'm not sure.

Will the formation be the same and will Owen return to the squad or not?

Again not sure.

Discuss.
Thu 08/09/05 at 15:01
Regular
"Baros!!!"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Don't be ridiculous. He's got a great competitive record, taking us
> to the quarter finals in two competitions and even then only going
> out to a fluke and a stupid backpass which he could have no control
> over.

True, but that would probably never of happened as Beckham should not have been playing in that match and wasn't playing at his best. He wasn't challenging for the ball like he would do, and with someone else replacing him, then maybe things might have been a little different.

> So Alex Ferguson didn't know what he was doing when they drew with
> Exeter? Keegan didn't know what he was doing when they drew with
> Stevenage (was it Keegan in charge)? I'm not defending that game or
> that result because I agree - tactically he was way off the mark -
> but I think you're being melodramatic in Dringo-like proportions
> about this.

With Ferguson and Keegan it was only 1 game and they made up for it afterwards by beating the opposition. Fergie thought he could rest his big named players and never played anybody out of position.

> Tell that to Ferguson. Look at the players he's got and look at their
> (by their standards) average season last year. Tell that to Souness
> where the same applies. Then look at David Moyes and see what he did
> with Everton last year. Not everything's about the players.

Ferguson had an average season finishing below quality teams like Arsenal and Chelsea. Sven is maybe having an average season, maybe a below average one, but where are the quality teams we are below? Poland aren't great are they. As for Souness he come to a club that was in a crisis with players fighting, players not wanting to play and players spreading rumours in the press. I think he did well to finish where he did, and he looks to have sorted it out now with the players he's just got in.

Moyes did a great job last season making the players play as a team and with passion. Sven doesn't seem to be doing that. He seems to just pick the players, with negative tactics and instructions. If people aren't on form he still picks them. What sort of confidence does that give the players?

It makes the playes relax, because they know there is no competition and know that Sven won't drop them.

> That was hardly a defensive formation. If everyone was doing their
> job we'd've had 7 players available as attacking options. The system
> is a tricky one in that it mentality depends on the players chosen
> and with the players that were chosen that was hardly defensive, it
> was just cluttered, crowded and scrappy.

With only 1 player up front, it's going to be more difficult to keep them in their own half for long periods of time. Really you need a 4-3-3 formation like Man United are playing. That would make N. Ireland think to play a more defensive role to stop England running riot. Why not play the formation we played when we beat them 4-0?

Why change the formation now?
Thu 08/09/05 at 14:36
Regular
"You've upset me"
Foreman wrote:
> The FA are stupid not to have sacked Sven yet. He should of been
> sacked ages ago.

Don't be ridiculous. He's got a great competitive record, taking us to the quarter finals in two competitions and even then only going out to a fluke and a stupid backpass which he could have no control over.

> We should not give him the chance to fail. That result was like >Walsall beating Man United. He clearly doesn't know what he's doing

So Alex Ferguson didn't know what he was doing when they drew with Exeter? Keegan didn't know what he was doing when they drew with Stevenage (was it Keegan in charge)? I'm not defending that game or that result because I agree - tactically he was way off the mark - but I think you're being melodramatic in Dringo-like proportions about this.

>With the players we got, we should not be struggling against teams > like N. Ireland, Wales and Denmark. This is the best chance we > have of winning the World Cup.

Hah. You don't think we'll be even better in 4 years time when players like Rooney, Downing, Richardson and Carrick have matured and gained more experience? We have some of the best youngsters in the game at the moment and over the next 5 or so years they're only going to get better and better.

> He's only got a good record with England because of the quality of the players we got.
> You can hardly do anything wrong unless your Sven.

Tell that to Ferguson. Look at the players he's got and look at their (by their standards) average season last year. Tell that to Souness where the same applies. Then look at David Moyes and see what he did with Everton last year. Not everything's about the players.

> Explain what manager would do these things:

> - Play Beckham for full 90 minutes in the World Cup when he's less than 70% fit from a broken foot.

Fair play, daft.

> - Play Joe Cole who plays on the left wing on the right.

Actually he's right footed and has played most of his career on the right or in the centre. It's only in the last couple of seasons that he's started playing on the left.

> - Play people like Gerrard and Lampard on the left, just to put
> Beckham in the centre of midfield when he clearly plays better on the right.

Daft.

> - Play a 4-5-1 defensive formation against a team like N. Ireland, who we can easily win if we put them under pressure.

That was hardly a defensive formation. If everyone was doing their job we'd've had at least 7 players available as attacking options. The system is a tricky one in that it mentality depends on the players chosen and with the players that were chosen that was hardly defensive, it was just cluttered, crowded and scrappy. And I think you should take a look at that match agan. We DID put them under pressure. We something like 70% of the possesion in the first half and spent most of the time in their half of the pitch, they defended in the simplest and most effective way simply by lobbing 10 men behind the ball and adding even more people to our already crowded midfield.

> - Keep picking David James even though he make so many blunders.

He's still one of the most natural and reflexive shot stoppers in the game. His decision making is inconsistant at best and downright bizzare at worst and I agree, there's no place for that in international football, but you watch him play for Man City and you'll understand why he was in the squad.
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:54
Regular
Oh yeah, Terry Butcher might make a great England manager.
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:41
Regular
To be fair, Terry Butcher is doing an excellent job at Motherwell.
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:33
Regular
"Baros!!!"
All we need is Ian Wright to take McClarens place to really give Sven some stick telling him how crap a manager he is. Then hopefully Sven will quit.

The FA are stupid not to have sacked Sven yet. He should of been sacked ages ago.
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:31
Regular
Pffft, no point in making a Scotsman the manager - he'll probably try and sabotage the team rather than win games - unless they're one of those Rangers "fans" that support England.

Anyway, if I was England manager I know I would (It'd be fun).
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:29
Regular
It's nice to see two Scotsmen mentioned for the England job in this forum :-).

I'd be surprised if either Souness or Moyes would be stupid enough to take the England job as the stick a Swedish man is getting would be escalated ten times upon a Scotsman.

I'd stand by my view of a proper firey Englishman, Allardyce was the one coming to mind but Redknapp wouldn't hurt either.

There wouldn't be much problem with England adopting the long ball approach to get back into a decent way of playing. That's the way Beckham was playing last night anyway and he's probably the best in the world at hitting balls like that in behind for Owen and SWP to chase.
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:23
Regular
"Baros!!!"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> I don't think sacking Sven is right. Not yet. If we fail to make the
> WC then yes, definitely.

We should not give him the chance to fail. That result was like Walsall beating Man United. He clearly doesn't know what he's doing.

With the players we got, we should not be struggling against teams like N. Ireland, Wales and Denmark. This is the best chance we have of winning the World Cup.

He's only got a good record with England because of the quality of the players we got. You can hardly do anything wrong unless your Sven.

Explain what manager would do these things:

- Play Beckham for full 90 minutes in the World Cup when he's less than 70% fit from a broken foot.

- Play Joe Cole who plays on the left wing on the right.

- Play people like Gerrard and Lampard on the left, just to put Beckham in the centre of midfield when he clearly plays better on the right.

- Play a 4-5-1 defensive formation against a team like N. Ireland, who we can easily win if we put them under pressure.

- Keep picking David James even though he make so many blunders.

There are probably a load of other things. I mean look at the quality Brazil have, I bet they would struggle to win games if Sven took over them.

There is no way Sven should be making mistake with the players we have.
Thu 08/09/05 at 12:49
Regular
I agree with psycho for the job.

The players need someone they are scared of. Sven would just make me laugh if he tried getting agressive.
Thu 08/09/05 at 12:18
Regular
"You've upset me"
I rate Curbishley as a manager. He seems to be an excellent tactician, as his start to this season and many games last season proves. The only worrying thing is the famous "Charlton slump" which he always seems impotent to deal with. I know he's done nothing of distinction but then neither has McClaren. Come to think of it, what current English manager has?

Lets put Moyes in charge. :-) Actually, I wonder if he'd ever accept that job if it were offered...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.