GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Northern Ireland vs England"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/09/05 at 21:52
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
After Englands lackluster performance in the last 2 games will they win?

I'm not sure.

Will the formation be the same and will Owen return to the squad or not?

Again not sure.

Discuss.
Fri 09/09/05 at 14:46
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Ant wrote:
> I think Stuart Pearce should be the next England manager, although I
> certainly think he suits the club game.

Would have been hilarious to see his reactions on the touchline during the game. Probably would have gone on the pitch and smacked Rooney himself
Fri 09/09/05 at 14:42
Regular
What you need is Mike Basset.
Thu 08/09/05 at 22:37
Regular
Chelsea :- 4 English Players
Arsenal :- 2

Meanwhile Manchester United and Blackburn where British players feature heavily... both won the premiership with a british manager.

Of course in reality it comes down to money...

How many ENGLISH managers have had the money Wenger, Mourinho and Ferguson has had to spend...

Newcastle to a lesser extent and they did best with Keegan in charge.
Thu 08/09/05 at 22:29
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I think there's much more to it than that. If that were the case, then why don't English managers win the Premiership?
Thu 08/09/05 at 22:22
Regular
European managers work well mainly because there are so many European players.

Of course just as many scotish managers have won the premiership as European so maybe that's saying something.
Thu 08/09/05 at 22:08
Regular
"I like cheese"
I think Stuart Pearce should be the next England manager, although I certainly think he suits the club game.

He is one of my favourite managers at the moment, he's tough, disciplined and full of heart, but also very down to earth and will always come out and back his players both publically and on the pitch.
Thu 08/09/05 at 22:02
Regular
"not dead"
Hell, no English manager has ever won the Premier League - the last year of the old first division Leeds United won it under Howard Wilkinson, and he was employed by the FA for an eternity. He had brief caretaker spells as England manager too.

So which English manager has a trophy to their name?

McClaren and the League Cup with Middlesborough and, er... was it Joe Royle at Everton when they won the FA Cup..?
Thu 08/09/05 at 21:50
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Yeah, fair point but if you look at the top world class managers - Mourinho, Fergerson, Benitez etc. they're not English. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good English managers out there, but are any of them England material?

Maybe Bobby Robson.
Thu 08/09/05 at 21:45
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
J-42 wrote:
> It seems that european managers are better than English. (Apart from
> Alf Ramsey.)

Brian Clough? Bobby Robson? I don't really see that foreign managers are better than English managers or vice versa. They have different styles, but I think there are enough good English managers to choose from. I mean Sam Allardyce, Bryan Robson, Alan Curbishley, Stuart Pearce...
Thu 08/09/05 at 21:32
Regular
"not dead"
Foreman wrote:
Really you need a
> 4-3-3 formation like Man United are playing.

YTes, but it's taken a season and this pre-season for it to really kick into gear. There's not the time for England to work on this now. Where Rooney and Ronaldo have developed an understanding, and Ruud's in the box instincts means he's going to get on the end of things, it's not the same with the players England have at their disposal. Yes Rooney's there, but Owen is too rusty at the moment to be up front on his own. SWP will play in a similar position for Chelsea, with a lone striker, but it's early days for him. If we were at the start of a qualifying campaign, it would be worth building this up, but I simply don't think there's time for the England players to use it successfully together.

As you were saying, they should stick to a formation that worked. 4-4-2. If they brought Defoe in for Owen against Wales, I can't see how the shape would have been that different. Beckham needs to be told to keep his discipline and remain on the right, or if you think his passing from the centre is going to hurt the opposition more, then drop Gerrard or Lampard and stick in a natural right-sided player. Like SWP.

Whilst having a number of highly talented midfielders should be an advantage, if they're all too similar we're going to be predictable, and their effectiveness will be negated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.